Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

inb4 "dimmy and abandon are bigots"

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepandagod View Post
    Why does relevant information matter heuheuheuheu
    Explain to me how the charges pressed against her killer change based on how far away the auto accident was, how much time passed between the accident and when she went knocking on the wrong door for help, and her reasons for being outside while black at 2:30 am are.

BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

I skimmed over the thread..

I agree with Abandon. Your first instinct shouldn't be to grab the gun. If it was me and someone knocked on my door in the middle of the night, even banging and making a lot of noise, I wouldn't automaticly assume they were there to cause harm. I would be cautious though. If they said they had an accident or were hurt I would tell them that I will call 911 and they will send an ambulance and the police. Their response should indicate their intent. If they said something like, "But I need you to open the door." or "I need money." then you know they are up to no good. If they are really in trouble then they will be releaved.

It makes me sick to hear stories like this. Stop and think before you shoot sombody for god's sake!

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Explain to me how the charges pressed against her killer change based on how far away the auto accident was, how much time passed between the accident and when she went knocking on the wrong door for help, and her reasons for being outside while black at 2:30 am are.
    More information in general is what i was commenting on, and things like toxicology report and being shot in the front as opposed to the back are things that would definitely impact any charges against him. I'm not following this at all though so maybe there has already been a tox report etc.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If it was me and someone knocked on my door in the middle of the night, even banging and making a lot of noise, I wouldn't automaticly assume they were there to cause harm
    If anything, i wouldn't expect a burglar to draw attention to herself in the middle of the night by banging and yelling.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Waiting for the details before jumping on the race war train.

Resident Gestapo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post

I agree with Abandon. Your first instinct shouldn't be to grab the gun. If it was me and someone knocked on my door in the middle of the night, even banging and making a lot of noise, I wouldn't automaticly assume they were there to cause harm. I would be cautious though. If they said they had an accident or were hurt I would tell them that I will call 911 and they will send an ambulance and the police. Their response should indicate their intent. If they said something like, "But I need you to open the door." or "I need money." then you know they are up to no good. If they are really in trouble then they will be releaved.

It makes me sick to hear stories like this. Stop and think before you shoot sombody for god's sake!
    Someone's banging on my door in the middle of the night, you'd best believe I'd have a gun tucked in my waist or near me before I answered it.

Not sure where you live where it's okay to answer your door at 2AM when there's some crazy asshole banging on your door without at least some type of weapon nearby, but the crime stats for that area (granted they aren't the worst) are pretty significant. Just about every year dating back to 1999, the violent crime rate in that area is above the national average. It's not Detroit but definitely a skirt-suburb of a major metropolitan area with some hard ghetto.

While I say that, I do agree that the owner should have called the cops first. At least get them rolling to the area before you try to answer the door or do anything. Seems pretty damn suspicious that he didn't make the call and other neighbors had to report it. Whenever I have to draw out on someone and I'm off-duty, I always have one hand on the gun, one on my flashlight and my phone glued to my ear is dialing 911 to alert the cops just in case I do need to shoot the asshole.

Like panda mentioned, there's very little evidence right now to say which way this will go, however, I would like to point out the owner (depending on the trajectory of the projectile) had to point the barrel of that weapon towards that woman and that right there is enough intent for me to charge him. You don't go towards a closed door leading with a weapon in any circumstance unless shots are actively coming from that direction or you're covering for the front man.

The median income levels are pretty low for the area and the foreclosure rate is pretty high, leading me to believe the area is probably pretty poor. The population index shows a large amount of Non-Hispanic whites with some influxes of African American and Hispanics moving in to the area around 2010 (which might explain racial tensions seeing as how Detroit's population index for African Americans is substantially higher). Crime has been on a slight decrease as the population for the surrounding area (including Detroit) has declined dramatically the past decade due to the economy but it's still higher than average.

Anyways, inbefore the shooter was black. Still haven't confirmed his identity, exact location of the shooting, or his race in any matter.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I'm with Neph, I will bring a gun to the door if someone comes knocking in the middle of the night. I don't live in a bad neighborhood but you never know what kind of crazy people are up to. (There is also a really sharp curve right outside my building and people hit the guide rail all the time.) I might just keep it within arms length and not even show that I have it, but the minute someone tries to force their way in or get violent, I will not be afraid to show that I'm armed.

I've had someone sketchy knocking on my door before, several years ago. It was daylight so I didn't come armed, but the minute I managed to convince him I couldn't help him and shut the door, I called the police. Since then, I've been a lot more wary of opening the door and I've kept the local police department's non-emergency number programmed into my phone.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post
    White people
    reported
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    inb4 "dimmy and abandon are bigots"
    its all good bro, you got that gold name, that prob gives you 3-4 freebies on nigga and faggot, plus you're black so how stupid would it be to ban a black dude for hate speech amirite?

anyways this woman coulda been on them salts man. ranting and raving about chewing on someone's face at 2:30 am. I doubt it, just a theory, probably not right.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Waiting for the details before jumping on the race war train.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

Yeah a woman's death is hilarious as you can see by the play on words in the thread title, please refrain from race and or rape jokes however.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

This is why you need some caution (in my paranoid head). Starts @1:00

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot View Post
    That's what happened? That's pretty messed up.
    Yeah, the hole in her head wasnt created by a gunshot, it was made by a giant penis statue. Case closed /sunglasses

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I know you probably didn't think much before posting this but it is entirely likely he either thought about it and shot anyway or didn't intend to shoot at all. I know the temptation to run in and try to use this as a learning opportunity is great but wtf can we take away when we don't even know what weve got yet?

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

So I'm going to pretend this is the "victim's fault" for a minute to get an answer to question. Anyone who has a gun can answer this or I can just ask the gun instructor this weekend when I meet up with him. Cause I don't handle/own a gun and in my mind "shotgun to the head/face/etc" seems excessive. I realize that like, shotguns have a spray effect but I'm assuming since the head was blown off that it was aiming for there.

Can't you like... shoot something not like... completely fatal (like the head/heart/important functions required for living) and stop someone? Like a leg? A foot? Or is shooting someone's face off the course of action for self defense?

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Don't aim at something you don't intend to kill.

If the situation has deteriorated so quickly that you need to use deadly force, the last thing you're going to do is aim for parts of the body you could easily miss. Of course this being a shotgun, its hard to miss.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    Don't aim at something you don't intend to kill.
    This. Gun handling 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    So I'm going to pretend this is the "victim's fault" for a minute to get an answer to question. Anyone who has a gun can answer this or I can just ask the gun instructor this weekend when I meet up with him. Cause I don't handle/own a gun and in my mind "shotgun to the head/face/etc" seems excessive. I realize that like, shotguns have a spray effect but I'm assuming since the head was blown off that it was aiming for there.

Can't you like... shoot something not like... completely fatal (like the head/heart/important functions required for living) and stop someone? Like a leg? A foot? Or is shooting someone's face off the course of action for self defense?
    If you're trying to put a dangerous person down, I believe the accepted standard for a handgun is 2 in the chest, 1 in the head, and either chest or head with a shotgun from close range. If you actually think you're in danger, you shoot to kill, not to wound.

The 69th Donor

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Which begs the question, did he believe he was in danger?

Now that news has come out that she was not shot in the back of the head, that's what is going to need to be proven. This is going to be another one of those cases where the threat of grave bodily harm vs. malicious intent will not be able to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, unless there are witnesses we don't know about yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast