1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 45 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 14 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -7 hours, -15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 16 hours, 14 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Taint View Post
    Yeah PLD needs WARs slashing resist down to compete.

WAR is well put together job, PLD is not.
    To be fair, it wasn't at first. Pre-buff days were good times. I cringed at the thought of tanking both dreads in T4. Caud in T1 could 2-shot if both crit with just a few stacks. Thrilling fights, yet horribly designed.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Fracture Y/N when tanking? Is it worth to lose SE's debuff on a WS in order to apply Fracture?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    Fracture Y/N when tanking? Is it worth to lose SE's debuff on a WS in order to apply Fracture?
    The only time I use Fracture while tanking is when I'm using Berserk/Unchained. It usually works out perfectly so that Fracture is the last GCD I use before Berserk wears off, and then when Pacification ends I can reapply Storm's Eye without it falling off the enemy target. Fracture has always been debated, but I believe pretty much everyone will tell you that for maximum damage you want full uptime of Storm's Eye.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Napkin math and I'm probably not doling out rotation average but a post I made on Fracture that made me change my mind about it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...pyem?context=3

SE>BB damage rotation means that letting fitting in any other GCD makes Storm's Eye debuff not be up for the Storm's Eye itself.

(270*1.20)/.9 = 360pot for Maim'd SE'd SE. 324 without SE. A net potency loss of 36 for that one GCD.
    Using Fracture is 100pot upfront hit (which is boosted by Maim and SE both) and a 200pot dot (which is boosted by Maim).

133.33 (upfront) + 240 = 373.33pot

Fracture lasts 30 seconds or basically 12-13 GCDs with 2.45 skill speed. You take a 36pot drop to SE every 2 combos to add a 373pot hit to your rotation.

The benefits are more tenuous as MT (who has to also fit in Inner Beast), but as OT it's a pretty clear gain as long as TP supports it.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I put it up as part of my zerk rotation. 1 > 2 > Zerk > Eye > 1 > 2 > BB > Fracture > 1 > 2 > Eye

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Napkin math and I'm probably not doling out rotation average but a post I made on Fracture that made me change my mind about it:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...pyem?context=3
    yeah i was never really sure why people brought up losing the debuff for one hit. that little drop could never be as much as the gain you get from fracture.

but to answer original question, you wanna use it unless it fucks with your inner beast too much or the boss is gonna jump and break your dot. in high dps fights where phases get pushed really easily you might as well not use it at all.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I used to parrot all the time that losing the debuff sucks but it really only matters for like one GCD for both you and the other tank, and if you really care about not losing it ever you go 2 WAR. The only other problem is TP.

Re: losing SE debuff.

There's nothing stopping you from using SE -> Fracture -> SE, and not losing the debuff.

SE combo with the SE debuff active is more damage than a Block combo without it.

Storms Eye should be always on the boss to achieve the most damage. Losing SE debuff affects many things that lower your DPS, your auto attacks for example, which are actually the largest part of your damage.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Icarian View Post
    Large DPS gain when out of Defiance.

Small DPTP loss when out of Defiance.

Small DPS gain when in Defiance.

Large DPTP loss when in Defiance.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

If I have full left side Noct unweathered and Conqueror, are Noct accessories still necessary? Is it dependant on what I'm doing? I haven't touched SCoB nor do I have a group for it. I've still got my attributes in VIT and between I'm not sure at which point I'm good to be swapping these kinds of things over to STR.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

With full ilvl 110 left side (and I'd argue you can do it before), and especially if your healers aren't total idiots, I think tanks can do everything in normal second coil in str accessories/spec, solo tanking or mt/oting. No idea on savage coil though. Everything pre-second coil should absolutely be in str accessories/spec.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Perfect, thank you lol

Soooooooooo, after I posted WAR's enmity mods quite some time ago with a comment about doing PLD's "some time soon", I figured 7 months was long enough to get around to it.

For reference this was the post for WAR's mods:

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/119...=1#post6188661

Everything was done the same way, same methods, same test partner, etc.

The results:
    Code:
    Savage Blade     DMG x 3
    Rage of Halone   DMG x 5
    Shield Lob       DMG x 3
    Circle of Scorn  [Initial Damage x 3] + DoT damage

Shield Oath      DMG x [WS mod] x 2
    And for comparison:
    Code:
    Skull Sunder     DMG x 3.5
    Butcher's Block  DMG x 5.5
    Tomahawk         DMG x 3
    Overpower        DMG x 5
    Steel Cylone*    DMG x 6

Defiance         DMG x [WS mod] x 2
    Of note:

The mod on CoS:
    A bit surprising but made sense in retrospect. The ability description has the "Additional Effect: Increased enmity" following the text regarding the potency of the initial hit, so it stands to reason it served as an addendum that applied to only that damage and that the DoT effect did not benefit from it (or it would have been at the very end of the description below the DoT damage). We figured it out by using a bunch of crit gear to get a larger variance on the DoT portion of the damage, came up with the above model then re-tested a few times to verify its consistency.

Difference in PLD/WAR mods:
    PLD's mods being lower than WAR's on their hate combo makes a certain amount of sense as well. The higher mods on Sunder and Block are most likely there to make up for the fact that WAR is juggling 3 combos, only 1 of which has an enmity bonus, compared to PLD who uses nothing but Halone.

More notes on Flash:
    The patch that added the hate mod to CoS also increased the hate on Flash, once again we just kinda screwed around with it a bit without trying to get it's actual potency. Got a few loose declarations regarding Flash's effect and what increases it.

-Increased by DET
    -Increased by STR
    -Does not seem to be effected by any other primary stats
    -Not effected by general ilvl
    -Does not seem to have a variance (static amount generated every time)
    -Have yet to see it crit, but not enough data to say whether or not it can with any certainty

It's worth noting that after the boost to Flash it should consistently be more hate than an un-combo'd Halone or Block, which was not true before the buff.

These are a few numbers from the very limited testing we did, spoilered as they're not complete tests just some examples to give people an idea:

Spoiler: show
    Only had Aug.Ironworks sword on hand since there wasn't any real plan for rigorous testing, so the "baseline" numbers have +26 DET from the weapon.
    Code:
    [Stats] ------------------->  [Damage before and after hate was transferred]

D 57  STR 243  DET 228  --->  537-548
                                  535-545

D 57  STR 243  DET 282  --->  551-561
                                  546-557

D 57  STR 325  DET 228  --->  675-686
    +54 DET gave an increase of ~12-13 enmity
    +82 STR gave an increase of ~139-140 enmity

Rigorous Flash testing can be expected "sometime soon" (see: fucked if I know, wouldn't hold my breath).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

good info. was there any testing done on inner beast at all?

Didn't consider it worth testing since it doesn't have a hate mod.

Since it can only be used with Defiance up it should just be DMG x 2.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Regarding losing SE effect every now and then due to working in fracture, I wonder if asking your friendly neighborhood ninja for a dancing edge would help. If the ninja knows which application is going to eventually wear off it's pretty easy to change an AE into a DE for an extra 5-15 seconds of slashing debuff goodness. It's a 60pot difference for us though, but it'd probably be worth it in the long run for maxxraiddeepz?

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

wish I could use fracture more often .-. my static hasnt got a NIN, TP sucks dicks without goad

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    wish I could use fracture more often .-. my static hasnt got a NIN, TP sucks dicks without goad
    The idea that the ninja would be giving Goad to the WAR instead of another DPS is foreign to me.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

there's some circumstances (T10 an example as i burn out pretty hard since we don't do tank swap anymore). only need one goad to bridge the gap to when our brd normally plays paeon, in which time the melees are just hitting empty.