FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Tales of Asteria & Tales of Kanade trademarked
    That next Tales game might be called “Tales of Asteria” or “Tales of Kanade,” if latest Namco Bandai trademarks are anything to go by.

The publisher filed for the names in Japan on November 1. The entries were made public on the Japanese trademark database today.

Namco Bandai trademarked a whole slew of additional Tales names a couple months back. One of them, “Tales of Zestiria,” was also trademarked in the U.S. and Europe.
    http://gematsu.com/2013/11/tales-of-...arked-in-japan
    http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7431818.html
    http://gematsu.com/2013/09/tales-of-...trademarked-us
    http://gematsu.com/2013/09/tales-of-...rked-in-europe

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

About those:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/14...es-trademarks/

Tales Producer Hideo Baba Explains Why They Register So Many Tales Trademarks

At least once a year we see a surge of Tales trademarks like Tales of Favorite, Tales of Jin, and Tales of Zestoria. Unlike other game publishers, Namco Bandai seems to file a rash of trademarks for Tales of games, but only some end up being used like Tales of Link and Tales of Bibliotheca.

Why are there so many Tales trademarks? That’s one of the questions Siliconera asked Tales producer Hideo Baba.

A short while back it was discovered that Namco Bandai registered a bunch of trademarks, such as Tales of Zestoria, Tales of Bibliotheca, et cetera. What’s with all these funny names? Do you have fun with coming up all these?

Hideo Baba, producer: Well, the Tales development team and I are always thinking about new stories and themes for future games in the series. And whenever we do come up with something interesting, we’re always thinking about, wouldn’t it be great if we could call this game by a certain name, to go with its story and theme?

There is always the possibility that we may end up actually making a new Tales game by that title [we've registered the trademarks for], but before that, we need to first check if it is okay to use that title both in Western markets and in Japan.

So, there is a possibility there that of all these ideas we’ve come up with, one of them may end up being put into development, but at the moment, we’re just checking that these names can be used. Nothing’s been decided yet.

Is the current situation, where you’d go out and register a bunch of trademarks in advance, prompted by past experiences like running into a scenario where you actually really wanted to call a Tales game by a certain title, but simply couldn’t because the name was taken already?

Yes, that’s exactly right.

Can you name a concrete example?

Actually, there were a lot of names I wanted to use but couldn’t.

A lot of them?

Yes. So for instance, even this time around when we were registering the trademarks… there was one that we couldn’t use because it was the name of a company in Canada.

When checking for possible trademarks, we’re checking for names that are registered not only in the video games category, but also those used for company names and such, all over the world. So, there were a lot of names we couldn’t use. Please excuse me from giving you a specific example because a lot of these names we wanted to use are famous trademarks that I shouldn’t really mention!

On the flipside, the funny thing [about registering all these trademarks in advance] is that, just before we released information about Tales of Xillia, some fans found out that we registered the trademark for a "Tales of Unitia". So they thought, "okay, the next game in the series must be called Tales of Unitia!"

At the time I really wanted to spill the beans on Xillia, because what they thought was going to be called Unitia, was really meant to be called Xillia. So, there’s a really fun side to all of this, too.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The teaser site for the next mothership entry in the Tales series has closed, and a countdown to the the series’ 20th anniversary title announcement has begun.

Next Thursday, December 12 at 19:00 Japan time, the title will be announced in a live broadcast on Japanese video site Nico Nico.

The Tales series first launched in Japan in 1995 with Tales of Phantasia for Super Famicom. Assuming the 20th anniversary title will release by the series’ 20th anniversary year, it should be safe to expect it by 2015.
    http://gematsu.com/2013/12/20th-anni...nced-next-week
    http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv159761931

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

“Legend of the guru,” reads the text. “In the distant age of myths, when the world was covered in darkness, from somewhere the light would return.”
    http://gematsu.com/2013/12/20th-anni...untdown-7-days

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The new text reads, “When the times change, and the world falls into disarray, people tell folktales and hope for salvation.”
    http://gematsu.com/2013/12/20th-anni...untdown-6-days

It reads, “Then the guru will appear and sweep away the darkness.”
    http://gematsu.com/2013/12/20th-anni...untdown-5-days

Today’s sentence reads, “However, when peace arrives, the gurus disappeared… Where did they go…? There is no one who knew that answer.”
    http://gematsu.com/2013/12/20th-anni...untdown-4-days

3 Days
    Eventually they disappeared from the peoples' memories and were only spoken of in legends...but the darkness was trying to cover the world again...
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/61601...0932/767486598

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This has probably been the lamest lead-up ever. I'm not even bothering to follow it, considering that it's basically: "In the age of generic fantasy plots, the darkness became a problem because it always was, and holy shit mysteries, come save the world someone."

Just announce the game already. Thanks.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    This has probably been the lamest lead-up ever. I'm not even bothering to follow it, considering that it's basically: "In the age of generic fantasy plots, the darkness became a problem because it always was, and holy shit mysteries, come save the world someone."

Just announce the game already. Thanks.
    Yeah, I saw this yesterday and though "Trying to hype a Tales game this way seems like the worst choice ever" lol.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The new update reads, “The names of the gurus have begun to be spoken of once again. However, the gurus have not yet appeared.”
    http://gematsu.com/2013/12/20th-anni...untdown-2-days

1 Days

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Next Tales is Tales of Zestiria for PS3

Edit: video and some more info regarding it

The “Zest” in the title represents passion and enthusiasm, according to series producer Hideo Baba. A dragon is used in the logo as a symbol of the game’s story.

Since it’s a spoiler whether the dragon will bring destruction or become an ally, those details weren’t revealed. But it’s important enough to be in the logo.

The title features character design by Mutsumi Inomata, Kosuke Fujishima, Daigo Okumura, and Minoru Iwamoto. Animation is being handled by Ufotable.

Two characters have been revealed.

Slay (voiced by Ryouhei Kimura) – Designed by Koskuke Fujishima. Quotes: “I want to explore the ruins all throughout the world.” “Of course it’s the mural of the monk hoisting the holy sword.”

Alicia (voiced by Ai Kayano) – Designed by Daigo Okumura. Quotes: “I want to try, to see my home town rid of uncleanliness.” “You’re… not going to ask my name?”

The game is set in the continent of Glynnwood, where two powerful nations, the Highland Kingdom and Laurence Empire, both compete for supremacy. These countries have given birth to different faiths and diverse cultures, and have achieved great civilization advancement. However, there is a strange common factor between them. The faith in the mysterious existence known as “Family of Heaven” has permeated Glynnwood. The Family of Heaven is invisible and untouchable, but it’s said that they have the supernatural power to influence the world. The people respect, fear, avoid, and worship this Family of Heaven.

The battle system is said to be an evolution of the Linear Motion Battle system. Unfortunately, further details were not announced.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meek Marcello
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Next Tales is Tales of Zestiria for PS3

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, from a business standpoint that's a good decision but damn Xillia lags like a motherfucker on PS3 and sucked at rendering distant objects on map. I hope they make it cross gen later.

Is it possible for the tales team to make a game where there isn't conflict between two/multiple nations?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Huh, I don't remember Xillia being laggy

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Huh, I don't remember Xillia being laggy
    I don't either.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Xillia's cutscenes had either the worst design or worst lag I've ever seen. Characters would just stand there and not talk for moments at a time; the entire interaction felt unbelievably bad and the game took forever to load movements, lines, environments, etc. within cutscenes.

The game itself didn't lag TOO Much, but if you used AoE moves on large groups like Leia's spin thing then it definitely did lag.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    Xillia's cutscenes had either the worst design or worst lag I've ever seen. Characters would just stand there and not talk for moments at a time; the entire interaction felt unbelievably bad and the game took forever to load movements, lines, environments, etc. within cutscenes.

The game itself didn't lag TOO Much, but if you used AoE moves on large groups like Leia's spin thing then it definitely did lag.
    Long hair, don't care.

Anyway, looks like we're back to having protags that actually look like they can fight. I miss having dudes in armor like Cless/Cress.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I'm not too happy tbh, my PS3 is old and i have no idea how long it will last, and I don't wanna buy a new one if it breaks

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I don't see why devs have to abandon ship on the ps3 immediately now that 4 is out.

♥ Neliel ♥
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Suzunomia Hymnos
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

NA/EU Release confirmed already

Following its Japanese announcement this morning, Namco Bandai has confirmed it will release Tales of Zestiria, the 20th anniversary commemorative title in the popular RPG series, for PlayStation 3 in North America, South America, and Europe.

The game offers a “grand storyline” that will let players discover the “zest” of adventure with new characters, “magical lands,” and “action-packed” gameplay. It returns to the series’ roots of a fantasy setting, and features character designs from Mutsumi Inomata, Kosuke Fujishima, Daigo Okumura, and Minoru Iwamoto. Ufotable will also return to create the game’s opening animation.

“2015 marks the 20th anniversary for the Tales of franchise in Japan and I would like to thank all the fans who have supported us for the past two decades from the bottom of my heart,” said Tales of chief producer Makoto Yoshizumi. “In recent years we have received anticipation for the series not only from Japan, but from overseas fans as well. Because of this I feel that the Tales of series has more potential than ever before. For this reason we are taking this opportunity to announce Tales of Zestiria as a worldwide release. This title will be going back to the roots of the series and boldly exclaim to the world ‘this is Tales of!’”

“Over the past few years the Tales of team has taken great strides to strengthen our relationship with players across North America and Europe,” said Tales of series producer Hideo Baba. “To respond to their love and support I am honored to open a new chapter of the Tales of series together with Japanese and overseas fans.”

A release date for Tales of Zestiria was not announced. But in the meantime, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is coming in February, and Tales of Xillia 2 in 2014.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I think after Xillia they mentioned wanting to release all if not most Tales worldwide. One can hope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast