Thread: Voidwatch questions     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Voidwatch questions

I have some questions about Voidwatch, which I have never done before. This post might be long. If you're not going to provide constructive responses to this thread, please don't post.

I plan on Duoing+Multiboxxing Voidwatch once the "max light" item goes unlimited and 20k gil.

Part of the reason I'll be doing Voidwatch now as opposed to having never done it, and most of it is obsolote now, is to unlock Empy WS, and wanting to have everything unlocked just in case a future update makes something about VW more relevant.

I have read the Voidwatch beginner section on BG Wiki, my questions will either not be answered there or I will be wanting clarification.

Do the items that will be 20k gil in December cap out every light, most importantly, White, Red, and Blue?

How exactly is the item used so it "procs" the mob correctly and does the person starting the encounter have to be the 1 with that item?

Are Atmacites something set by an NPC, and then when you do any Voidwatch you are automatically equipped with it?

Does simply having a voidstone in your Key Items allow you to open a treasure box at the end and obtain an atmacite, since only 1 person begins the encounter, is that stone auto consumed when the mob is popped or when you go to open your personal box?

Since I'll be starting from scratch, (I talked to an NPC a long time ago and have lots of stored stones) which atmacites and other key items like ones that enable to hold more voidstones at once, etc should be obtained 1st and foremost?

Which atmacites are worth upgrading fully and setting (I've read a max of 3 can be set) for the following jobs: WHM, MNK, BRD, DRG, DRK, WAR, SMN, and BST?

Do atmacites affect pets like Abyssea Atma do?

I will cover the jobs available we will use to do this event at the end of the post, so this question would need to be answered based off of reading what job combos I'll have available below.

Which VW bosses will I not be able to do at all even if I have top 5% in gear of the listed jobs, macros, gearswaps and skill associated with the job(s)?

The 2-3 job scenarios I can work with will be outlined.

The most preferred scenario:

Char #1, Wife, Pixi: Oats MNK, Upu DRG(Drakesbane), and Bura/Xiut BLU(has all spells minus Delve bosses), has access to all Bayld, WKR, and Delve drops. 5/5 Formless, 5/5 Penance(for things we do together, Penance is more useful than Mantra, so it's a personal decision, not here to debate MNK merits.)
    WS Merits: 5/5 Shijin, 5/5 Req, 5/5 Resolution, capped h2h merits, sword
    has proper Gearswaps, Thaumus coat, windbuffet belt etc.

Char #2, Me, Koyangi: WHM/SCH or any other mage sub, all magic related skills capped, also capped enfeebling, enhancing, elemental, and blue magic merits. Has great gear, no mythic, etc.

Char #3, controlled by me too, Xiti: Oats MNK, all MNK related info about Pixi is mirrored to this char.

Char #4, Me, Armael: BRD, other than missing Langeleik(sp?) because it drops in VW, and has no relic, mythic and Emp, uses best instruments otherwise and all skills are capped and gear is near perfect for FC and Song Duration.

2nd scenario, I will only use either of these next 2 scenarios if a 2 DD WHM BRD strat will not do very well or if it can help mitigate a gimmick or something.

All 4 chars, SMN with Dashavatara Sash, full AF3+2, fervor ring, Jaq sash, af3 neck, Tiresias cape or Conveyance cape, Balsam Staff(would have to 1st sink the gil into 4 of these), and 5/5 on Wind and Ice Magic BPs.

3rd scenario

All 4 chars, BST all have Hunaphu, af2+2 hands+augment, moepapa or hurchlan, af3+2 legs, full twilight, 5/5 beast affinity, anwig salade BST augment, decent reward set using Eta's, would prefer Sheep, Hobs, Falcorr, or GooeyGerard. Subquestion with capped BA merits, aug hands, and 115 axe, what will each of these 4 pets cap at?

If a strat wants to mix BST with SMN and it can be more effective than 4 of 1 or 4 of the other, explain to me where it would make sense.

I prefer to be 2 DD, WHM, BRD if at all possible, if there's wiggle room for a DD strat and I do not absolutely need to do a pet strat, let me know the DD strat.

I guess this depends on Tier, but how long would these fights take approximately?

Out of the bosses remaining, since the question above will likely have some NMs I won't be able to kill without more manpower, that I could kill with 1 of my scenarios, which ones have a gimmick or something to worry about other than just make HP zero that I need to worry about. Out of the remaining NM that have gimmicks and I will be able to kill, can someone please explain which scenario is best to avoid a gimmick and of course if it's doable with DD strat over a pet strat, let me know please. I appreciate any and all information, and thank you for reading this.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

voidclusters don't max lights. they just weaken the NMs. you'd still need to hit procs normally for any KIs or drops you were after.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not to be mean but you might want to reread the voidwatch page. There is no max light item. The item that is going to 20k is the voidcluster and that just weakens mobs. So you still gunna have to proc.

Yes as far as equiping atmacites go.

Stones used iirc the person that starts the fight uses up a stone regardless but everyone else only if fight is won and you check your box. Might be a little off on that it's been awhile.

You wont really have much chose in where to go first since alot of it is in order I mean you technically could start on the aht urghan/tavnazian ones but without periapts/atmacites and more helpers you gunna get rocked hard even with full displacers. So you will need to start with cities..... however T1 sandy + t2 bastok gets you fools/fanatics which are pretty awesome

For the jobs you listed assuming not getting provenence ones you'll want Atmacite of Coercion, Atmacite of the Valiant and Atmacite of Preservation. Rest some are worth getting if you plan on farming and stuff but sounds like you just doing it for access.

Pretty sure they do. But pets are going to kinda of suck because well most the atmacites aren't that hot the real power in voidwatch comes from all the temps.

I've seen vids of smns and schs soloing the city bosses (before skirmish 2 came out) so you should be fine with the people you got. The hard part will be getting white procs for upgrades. Just how far are you going anyways?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

I have since recently solo (5 boxxed) VW's up to and including T2 Jeuno which I'm on now and have gotten KI's from everything up to this point, most strats have used SMN, with other chars on proc jobs. I have some more questions.

What exactly did the Feb. update to VW alignment do exactly, if there's been an increase in lights obtained from certain procs does the wiki need to be updated?

It sucks /fume doesnt work if an Avatar has the hate on the mob.

Does the /fume mechanic mean I can be 20 minutes into a battle and I can /fume 3 times back to back, technically speaking?

Which VW mobs that have adds cannot be truly supertanked due to things like Whiteout on penguin or Tsui-Goab?

Does each displacer lower the mobs level by 1, so a cap of -5 to mob level is possible?

Thanks.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

I just started spamming qirin(is the only t3 that don't have any annoying move), w/o displacers thf, mnk, WHM, rdm it takes me 5sh mins if procs sucks coz don't even have a blm

What I notice with the new lights is 2 vulnerable spells procs cap red lights, I assume 2 ja will cap blue, 1 red give you 300 red and 50 white(don't recall the others ATM)

/fume iirc is only once and can be done anytime after the 5 first mins.

If you 5box... Just get a dd.. Any dd with ilvl can tank anything bellow t3

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

can fume 5 times (once per 5 min)

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

have the thf go any magic proc job. or any other job and itll be better.

Old Merits
    BG Level

With 5 people:

1 DD to tank and kill, Blu/nin (with tools), Blm/Sch, Whm/Drk, Brd/???

This setup can easily survive anything with decent Ilevel gear. Whm should easily be able to stack enough macc to land all the /drk spells without native skill (exceptions for Ig Alima/Morta/Rex maybe).

/fume is only once every 5mins from when its been /fumed, obviously you can't /fume until 5mins after pop either.

If you're only going for KIs it hardly matters though, even if each fight takes you 2-3 attempts for procs you can be done in an evenings worth of time.

Your job stacking scenarios are exactly what VW was designed to combat. If you skip taking a blm/drk or blm/sch you forfeit a huge % of procs which will just make it take longer than having 1 DD and everything aimed at procs.