+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Fracking thread.....HA!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    It is certainly a case of "X happens and Y occurs, therefore X causes Y!" but certainly not on the same level as the vaccinations = autism. There seems to be plenty of theoretical evidence that methods used for storing waste water in underground can cause plate slippage but I agree there isn't enough concrete evidence that it is the sole cause.
    It makes sense with large volume fracking operations that three would be large enough waste to cause sudden slippage which causes earthquakes. The before and after seismic readings in areas that started their operations show increased volume of earthquakes excluding the machines vibrations. It is definitely a direct cause and effect scenario. Do we need timestamped video proof of the cause by smoking companies.......I mean fracking companies for people to see the effects it has to the surrounding environment/communities?

http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Ge...rthquakes.html

Oklahoma is a leading U.S. energy producer with an economy increasingly concentrated on the oil and gas industry. Economist and Dean of the University of Central Oklahoma’s College of Business Administration, Dr. Mickey Hepner, notes that roughly 25 percent of all employment in Oklahoma is either directly or indirectly connected to the energy industry.

The good news is that much of Oklahoma’s output increasingly comes from releasing subterranean hydrocarbons via hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” a controversial technique that involves injecting liquids containing a variety of substances deep underground to break up geological formations to release trapped deposits of natural gas.

The bad news in Tulsa is that since fracking began, the state has experienced a rise in seismic events. In a report entitled “Earthquake Swarm Continues in Central Oklahoma,” released on 22 October in partnership with the Oklahoma Geological Survey, the U.S. Geological Survey noted, “Since January 2009, more than 200 magnitude 3.0 or greater earthquakes have rattled Central Oklahoma, marking a significant rise in the frequency of these seismic events… Studies show one to three magnitude 3.0 earthquakes or larger occurred yearly from 1975 to 2008, while the average grew to around 40 earthquakes per year from 2009 to mid-2013. ‘We've statistically analyzed the recent earthquake rate changes and found that they do not seem to be due to typical, random fluctuations in natural seismicity rates. Bill Leith, USGS seismologist noted, ‘These results suggest that significant changes in both the background rate of events and earthquake triggering properties needed to have occurred in order to explain the increases in seismicity. This is in contrast to what is typically observed when modeling natural earthquake swarms.’"

I'm no geologist, but if fracking works by causing mini-earthquakes, over and over, with that many drillings going on in such a small radius(see awesome map pics), it seems like it would definitely fuck with the earth enough to cause a macrocosm of bigger, long-term effects.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post
    It makes sense with large volume fracking operations that three would be large enough waste to cause sudden slippage which causes earthquakes. The before and after seismic readings in areas that started their operations show increased volume of earthquakes excluding the machines vibrations. It is definitely a direct cause and effect scenario. Do we need timestamped video proof of the cause by smoking companies.......I mean fracking companies for people to see the effects it has to the surrounding environment/communities?
    A timestamped video wouldn't prove anything. How does that rule out other causes? Certainly you could argue that it's improbably that something else coincidentally caused it at the exact same time, but improbable things happen every day.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    A timestamped video wouldn't prove anything. How does that rule out other causes? Certainly you could argue that it's improbably that something else coincidentally caused it at the exact same time, but improbable things happen every day.
    http://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-Ge...rthquakes.html

Oklahoma is a leading U.S. energy producer with an economy increasingly concentrated on the oil and gas industry. Economist and Dean of the University of Central Oklahoma’s College of Business Administration, Dr. Mickey Hepner, notes that roughly 25 percent of all employment in Oklahoma is either directly or indirectly connected to the energy industry.

The good news is that much of Oklahoma’s output increasingly comes from releasing subterranean hydrocarbons via hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” a controversial technique that involves injecting liquids containing a variety of substances deep underground to break up geological formations to release trapped deposits of natural gas.

The bad news in Tulsa is that since fracking began, the state has experienced a rise in seismic events. In a report entitled “Earthquake Swarm Continues in Central Oklahoma,” released on 22 October in partnership with the Oklahoma Geological Survey, the U.S. Geological Survey noted, “Since January 2009, more than 200 magnitude 3.0 or greater earthquakes have rattled Central Oklahoma, marking a significant rise in the frequency of these seismic events… Studies show one to three magnitude 3.0 earthquakes or larger occurred yearly from 1975 to 2008, while the average grew to around 40 earthquakes per year from 2009 to mid-2013. ‘We've statistically analyzed the recent earthquake rate changes and found that they do not seem to be due to typical, random fluctuations in natural seismicity rates. Bill Leith, USGS seismologist noted, ‘These results suggest that significant changes in both the background rate of events and earthquake triggering properties needed to have occurred in order to explain the increases in seismicity. This is in contrast to what is typically observed when modeling natural earthquake swarms.’"

Are you trying to say that all of a sudden these tremors just started of natural reasons a year after operations went full swing?

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by myreality View Post

Are you trying to say that all of a sudden these tremors just started of natural reasons a year after operations went full swing?
    No, i'm trying to say coincidences are possible, and assuming they aren't is dumb. I don't know what caused them. I can speculate that it's because of fracking, which it probably is, but I can't really be sure.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

There is always a possibility of a coincidence happening in any given situation. But the possibility of another cause outside of human hands is very low at this point.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Frak

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

New reports over the last year have shown that areas surrounding fracking have an increase in renal failure, abdominal disorders, cancers, and other acute onset disorders that typically take time before developing. They haven't been able to link them yet, but contamination is a real thing.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Those aerial shots made me want to look at Britt Ranch in Wheeler County. I used to help service wells a few years in the Granite Wash play in tx panhandle and western OK. And those areas are pretty ripped up.

In the bigger pic, you can see some of the smaller pads (also called locations or wellsites) that have been there for like 30-40 years. All of those wells are old and now-slow-producing and vertically drilled, well before the tidal wave of hydraulic fracture into well services.

While almost all of the larger wellsites have all been prepared, spudded, drilled, completed, fractured within mostly the last 15 years. These wells mostly have like a 6000-8000 ft lateral/horizontal section. These are hydraulically fractured over like 3-4 day jobs on maybe 8-12+ stages. Obviously the fracking has revitalized production in a previously dead field, but it certainly peppers the surface area and does wreck up the earth's crust a little.

Those dark squares are pits. They're lined and whatever's put in them is eventually covered up. Pits of mostly waste fluid and cuttings from drilling or re-used mud (drilling fluid). It's regulated, and they always treat cuttings and stuff, but no doubt a mess as well.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Fracking isnt the cause. The cause is from a small population of these worms breeding under the surface.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

we must slay them before they evolve into rocket butts

Are you saying this guy is wrong about fracking?! ARE YOU!? Frack you!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

gj inFact

Although the main thing about hydrocarbons/energy stuffs is how very finite they are. We need some better solutions, but we need not fret too much about this particular ingenious way to continue sucking on the proverbial fossil fuel tit.

I'd drive a natural gas-fueled vehicle too I suppose, just as gasoline or diesel. So I'm sure we'll keep sucking a little while longer before we all have Teslas.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Here's another vdeo to take a look at.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I think this just emphasizes the truth that we should be exploiting foreign lands for our energy needs and leaving them with the horribly polluted mess.

"They" do both, duh. Fuck mother Earth in the ass with every tool in every location possible. It will be atleast another decade before most people in the states are genuinely concerned by the tag-team govt+corp efforts to rape the land with little-to-no accountability.

edit: on second thought, maybe a little less than a decade if we keep on this pace of major oil spills, fracking abuse, nuclear "accidents" and etc. Gotta keep my cynicism in check lol

Trans-Canada trains FBI and police to arrest protestors on fabricated "terrorist" charges lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Sorry for the bump, but I saw this story and thought it was relevant to the thread.

Rex Tillerson, chairman and CEO of Exxon Mobil Corp. has long encouraged fracking on other people’s property, promoting it as the most beneficial way to retrieve oil and natural gas, but now that it’s encroaching near his home he’s filed suit to stop it.

Tillerson, along with some of his notable neighbors such as House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-Texas), have filed suit against a suburban Dallas water utility company to cease construction of a 160-foot water tower. Referring to the tower as a “monstrosity” in the lawsuit, Tillerson claims their concern for diminishing property values as the reason to stop fracking near his ranch (Bar RR Ranch). The suit states the tower is “causing unreasonable discomfort and annoyance to persons of ordinary sensibilities”. Another grievance stated within the lawsuit is that the fracking created through stored water sales from Bartonville Water Supply Corp. will cause ”noise nuisance and traffic hazards”, as the water would routinely be hauled away.
    http://rt.com/usa/exxon-ceo-fracking-lawsuit-180/
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/candacewhi...ing-elsewhere/
    http://freepatriot.org/2014/02/23/ex...-everyone-else

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

'murica

GATTACA!

BG Level

this thread needs more activity, fracking shit is great hate-read material