1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 14 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 45 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -6 hours, -46 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 15 hours, 45 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by gaogaostegosaurus View Post
    Ahahahahaha

It's like the title screen for a early nineties fighting game
    wasn't that what he said he wanted lol? something reminiscent of the 80s/90s?

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Looks like the original Disgaea font.
    Was thinking Dragon's Crown but now that you mention it....

In regards to Hybrid class, in Duty Finder how will they prioritize certain Hybrid over others? Like say a particular encounter requires more DD over heals or tanks but you get 2 Hybrids, what's to stop you from getting 2 Tank/Healer hybrids in those slots? You'll effectively only have 2 DDs (discounting SCH and WHM DPS for the sake of argument since I know they both have absurdly high DPS for healing classes) to do content that might require a high DPS check.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The way they're handling this CT loot lockout confuses the hell out of me.
    If I'm running CT with a static group and no one lots on anything unless they realllllly want it what happens to the unlotted loot? free falls to a random member (unless they already have it)? If so, just run that shit like crazy and cap everyone in a few weeks on everything. However, if for some reason they reworked how loot is handled in general and if it's not lotted on it falls to the floor... well I don't even.

Didn't he specifically say CT could be something we use for vanity AND gearing up 2nd/3rd jobs (for players already running BC)?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Another new interview on a website onlinegamer.jp with a few new points... translation's done, here's the new info (again this is only new info, if something was repeated from the interviews I previously translated, it's not below):

General Patch Info
    • They hope to deliver patch 2.2 more quickly than the time between 2.0 and 2.1 (which is about four weeks behind the originally planned schedule).
    • They aren't implementing it yet, but they are planning to implement a resume function for downloading client and patch data in the future. The size of patch 2.1 is expected to be several GB. They are trying to keep it as small as possible, but housing takes up a large amount of resources.
    • Patch notes will be published the day before the update. More information about the job adjustments (including the ability that bards are losing access to) will be included in the notes.

Endgame
    • Only about 10% of players are participating in the Binding Coil. That's actually higher than they anticipated, though.
    • People have gotten through turns 1 through 4 more easily than they expected, and they are saying this is because Paladin turned out to be a more powerful tank than they had planned for.
    • The current turns of Binding Coil won't be made easier in 2.1, but there will be some difficulty relaxation in 2.2 when more turns are added.
    • Yoshida acknowledges that there feels like a stagnation for end-game at the moment. He's saying that top tier players should hold out for the coil expansion in 2.2 and in the meantime he hopes that Wolves' Den in 2.1 will keep these people interested. The goal for this patch is to bolster the amount of starter end-game content (e.g. having five different hard level 50 dungeons) to get more people into the end-game scene.

Player Housing, Furniture
    • Dungeon-specific furniture will be added to encourage people to go back and retry old dungeons. A few of these parts already dropped before player housing was added, but most will be added in 2.1.
    • Gathered materials like ore and lumber will play a large role in housing construction - some directly gathered, some will require crafting first.
    • Crafted furniture will be biased towards carpenter in 2.1, but they plan to even it out in the future. Alchemy and cooking will play a larger role in PvP.
    • They don't plan to add furniture items acquired from tomestones, stuff will just come straight from dungeons and other content.
    • The crafter level required to make furniture will be related to the item level which corresponds to the dungeon where the material comes from.

Instanced Dungeons
    • Duty Roulette is broken up into four playlists:
      • Low Level: Sastasha, Tam Tara Deepcroft, Copperbell Mines, Bowl of Embers, Halatali, Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak, Haukke Manor, Brayflox's Longstop, Temple of Qarn, Cutter's Cry, Stone Vigil, The Navel, Dzemael Darkhold, Aurum Vale, Howling Eye, Cape Westwind
      • High Level: Wanderer's Palace, Amdapor Keep, Copperbell Mines (Hard), Haukke Manor (Hard), Pharos Sirius
      • Guildhests: All of the guildhests, basic training through Solemn Trinity
      • Main Scenario: Castrum Meridanum, The Praetorium
    • Hard mode dungeons will have different progression routes (certain areas blocked off, etc.), and the mid- and end bosses will have different battle strategies.
    • Sounds like they're adding a vote-kick feature to be used "for emergencies only." They didn't want to implement it from the start because there were a lot of players new to MMOs. Three of the four party members will need to approve for the vote to pass, and it will be highly restricted (once every four hours).
    • MIP should be thought of as an achievement-like system. For example, if you get chosen as the MIP 10 times, you'll receive a certain title and item reward.

Treasure Hunts
    • Gatherers obtain treasure maps and they can be sold until they are deciphered, at which point they can no longer be sold.
    • When you go to open a treasure chest, trap monsters appear. The plan is for a grade 5 treasure chest to take about four adventurers at level 50 to complete the battle to open. The planned difficulty is solo at levels 30, 35, and 40 for grades 1, 2, and 3, solo at level 50 for grade 4, and in a party at level 50 for grade 5.

PvP
    • PvP party configuration is the same as instanced dungeons (2x DPS, healer, tank) if you use duty finder for random matching.
    • PvP points/rank are recorded personally, there are no plans to make any kind of "team points."
    • You don't have to use PvP-exclusive equipment, but it will eventually be important to performing well.
    • PvP-exclusive equipment will be obtained in exchange for points. There will be exclusive recipes and materia as well for crafters.
    • They'll be adding new TP recovery items that can only be used in PvP.

Other Stuff
    • Bunch of UI adjustments coming in 2.1. Some of the mentioned ones are camera improvements and displaying the zone name on the teleportation list.
    • The maximum IL of 70 for crafters is intentional since optimal materia melding/overmelding puts the gear close to, but just short of, the performance of IL90. This relationship between the highest crafted gear and the highest available IL gear will be maintained moving forward as the highest IL increases.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Zzsark View Post
    The way they're handling this CT loot lockout confuses the hell out of me.
    If I'm running CT with a static group and no one lots on anything unless they realllllly want it what happens to the unlotted loot? free falls to a random member (unless they already have it)? If so, just run that shit like crazy and cap everyone in a few weeks on everything. However, if for some reason they reworked how loot is handled in general and if it's not lotted on it falls to the floor... well I don't even.

Didn't he specifically say CT could be something we use for vanity AND gearing up 2nd/3rd jobs (for players already running BC)?
    If you're spending myths/getting Coil loot for one job you can lot CT gear for another. That said 1 week is still way too long imo and I don't understand why relics/moogle weapons have no limitations in place while gear is getting locked like this.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    If you're spending myths/getting Coil loot for one job you can lot CT gear for another. That said 1 week is still way too long imo and I don't understand why relics/moogle weapons have no limitations in place while gear is getting locked like this.
    Actually, I think it'd be more efficient if you use CT gear to bump up any ilvl70 slots you have on your main job, then once your main is covered, you can do the same for your secondary. 1 week lockout really kills gearing your secondaries in conjuction to your main.

The way CT is set up is obviously trying to encourage people to not use static groups. If you use static your group is going to let tons of stuff hit the ground in the course of trying to get stuff people actually fucking want. This whole system is retarded. You're actually having more chances to gear up from i90 (weekly primals, myth stones and coil) than from CT, lolreturnofthebarance.

Re: Hybrid Classes. I honestly thought they got hybrid classes in XI right for the most part but only from a single-player RPG perspective, and when you're balancing an MMO you have to take a totally different approach, because people will always be playing one class. Well, it varied with which patch they were on, it's completely possible that the ones they got right were just ones they stumbled into, lolidunno. DPS/Healer for example- Dancer filled that pretty well.

The jobs in XI I considered hybrid were:
    RDM PLD DRK NIN DRG SMN BLU COR PUP DNC SCH GEO RUN

Of those the only ones I'd say got screwed really hard (depending on the patch) were NIN, DRG, PUP, and SMN. Honestly not that bad.

Even in the days when RDM, for example, has little unique to offer, if you look at it purely from how gameplay works the way it got balanced made sense to me. The fact that players didn't invite them was only because dedicated jobs were better at healing/nuking/meleeing than RDM was, and that's how it's supposed to be with hybrid classes. The important thing is to balance content correctly so that you don't have crazy one-shot moves, for instance, that can't be mitigated somehow by a hybrid healer class. Which brings me to the question of why Yoshi is acting like a Hybrid is supposed to take up its own unique slot- the whole point is that it can fill multiple roles. >_>

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Another new interview on a website onlinegamer.jp with a few new points... working on translation now, here's what I got so far, I'll keep updating:

Another new interview on a website onlinegamer.jp with a few new points:
    i fucking love you and the treasure/housing shit was all i was really looking forward to since I figured CT would be a bust (but not nearly as big a bust as it is)

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Therin View Post
    That's still at most 4 hours of content. (excluding Beastman dailies, which I doubt most people will do)

I'm also interested in the hybrid concept, but they'd need to add a lot of jobs to make that work.
    And that's also assuming you have a coil static. Don't have one? Sucks to be you.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tanaya Makers
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    Re: Hybrid Classes. I honestly thought they got hybrid classes in XI right for the most part but only from a single-player RPG perspective, and when you're balancing an MMO you have to take a totally different approach, because people will always be playing one class. Well, it varied with which patch they were on, it's completely possible that the ones they got right were just ones they stumbled into, lolidunno. DPS/Healer for example- Dancer filled that pretty well.

The jobs in XI I considered hybrid were:
    RDM PLD DRK NIN DRG SMN BLU COR PUP DNC SCH GEO RUN

Of those the only ones I'd say got screwed really hard (depending on the patch) were NIN, DRG, PUP, and SMN. Honestly not that bad.

Even in the days when RDM, for example, has little unique to offer, if you look at it purely from how gameplay works the way it got balanced made sense to me. The fact that players didn't invite them was only because dedicated jobs were better at healing/nuking/meleeing than RDM was, and that's how it's supposed to be with hybrid classes. The important thing is to balance content correctly so that you don't have crazy one-shot moves, for instance, that can't be mitigated somehow by a hybrid healer class. Which brings me to the question of why Yoshi is acting like a Hybrid is supposed to take up its own unique slot- the whole point is that it can fill multiple roles. >_>
    Every job in XI had some level of flexibility, even WAR which was an all-out DD job (subjobs like /NIN and /SAM really helped spread out it's versatility). That said the only jobs I consider hybrids are RDM, DNC, SCH, BLU, and COR. All other jobs has a "primary" function and a dedicated role to fill. If they couldn't fill that role then they were frankly screwed out of a party.

Out of all the hybrids, I still only consider DNC and BLU to be well-designed. RDM always teetered on the edge of being broken and SCH had serious issues with stepping on other job's toes until the level cap raise when it started getting more unique spells. I've never played though COR so I can't comment on that.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Yoshida acknowledges that there feels like a stagnation for end-game at the moment. He's saying that top tier players should hold out for the coil expansion in 2.2 and in the meantime he hopes that Wolves' Den in 2.1 will keep these people interested. The goal for this patch is to bolster the amount of starter end-game content (e.g. having five different hard level 50 dungeons) to get more people into the end-game scene.
    So even though End-game feels stagnant right now, we should wait until 2.2 when they'll introduce 5 more turns of Coil....and then have 6 months to wait until Coil update again since they already stated it will go Coil > CT > Coil > CT. I fail to see how 2.2 is going to be any different if all they plan on adding for the highest tier is more Coil turns.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    So even though End-game feels stagnant right now, we should wait until 2.2 when they'll introduce 5 more turns of Coil....and then have 6 months to wait until Coil update again since they already stated it will go Coil > CT > Coil > CT. I fail to see how 2.2 is going to be any different if all they plan on adding for the highest tier is more Coil turns.
    Maybe, maybe not. They could fix it moving forward by always keeping the new one ahead of the other. For example, next coil turns IL95 equip, next CT IL100, next coil after that IL105, etc. I mean, CT was supposed to be in there from the start, I think? It would be kind of half-assed if they keep going forwards and backwards with the endgame content in every other update.

FYI, I'm still tacking onto that translation above (post #44), I'll post another reply when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Carth View Post
    Every job in XI had some level of flexibility, even WAR which was an all-out DD job (subjobs like /NIN and /SAM really helped spread out it's versatility). That said the only jobs I consider hybrids are RDM, DNC, SCH, BLU, and COR. All other jobs has a "primary" function and a dedicated role to fill. If they couldn't fill that role then they were frankly screwed out of a party.

Out of all the hybrids, I still only consider DNC and BLU to be well-designed. RDM always teetered on the edge of being broken and SCH had serious issues with stepping on other job's toes until the level cap raise when it started getting more unique spells. I've never played though COR so I can't comment on that.
    Amongst the three you're not sure about, COR was useful basically the entirety of its existence (and a good shooter if you were willing to dump money for good gear), and when RDM lost its necessity as an MP battery its direct competition was actually SCH. SCH out-maged RDM and then I guess you could say GEO sealed the coffin. In the current state of the game RDM's in this weird limbo. It's honestly not even a bad job right now, it's just that it's outdone in every aspect by a dedicated job, and as I said, isn't that the point of a hybrid? That's why hybrids are something most MMOs don't touch at all, and if they do they'll just homogenize the jobs over time (or they'll go the GW2 route and make everyone a hybrid). Balancing a Hybrid "just right" in an online game, I dunno if that's even possible.

But my point was more that at worst, I imagine a situation like the PLD vs WAR one right now- it's a noticeable one, but not one where it's impossible to clear content so your FC will tell you to eat a dick every time you try to play the job, like it was for PUP in XI or something.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Maybe, maybe not. They could fix it moving forward by always keeping the new one ahead of the other. For example, next coil turns IL95 equip, next CT IL100, next coil after that IL105, etc. I mean, CT was supposed to be in there from the start, I think? It would be kind of half-assed if they keep going forwards and backwards with the endgame content in every other update.

FYI, I'm still tacking onto that translation above (post #44), I'll post another reply when it's done.
    I can't find the quote right now but I'm pretty sure they have stated the hardest content will always be 8man, so I don't think backwards progression is going anywhere.

My best hope is for Coil #2 to have 10 turns minimum and at least 4-5 Twintania-like encounters. That should keep most players busy for a while. Not holding my breath though.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

That would be the smart thing to do, but maybe I'm remembering wrong when they said Coil would always be the highest tier of content and CT would be for the casual crowd to catch up with. Like you said CT was supposed to be in from the start so the plan was to have CT > Coil v1 at the start and then 2.2 would introduce CT v2 which would be higher than Coil v1 but bridge the gap to Coil v2 which would come in 2.3. But they kinda screwed the pooch on CT so now the update cycle is all out of whack, at least the way I see it.

The problem with hybrid jobs is that they need to be unique in order to be worth using. Even if you have a tank/healer or dps/tank if they bring nothing special to the table there really is no reason to use them.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

OK translation's done, all the info is there now.

Edit: Organized it by topic.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    I can't find the quote right now but I'm pretty sure they have stated the hardest content will always be 8man, so I don't think backwards progression is going anywhere.
    Will it be divided up by light party/full party content?

Yoshida: Apart from the Crystal Tower which is alliance content, we plan for endgame content to be focused on a unit of eight players. For example, gathering Allagan Tomestones is good for a light party, but I feel like eight players is the smallest unit that should take on strong bosses.
    I know you were referring to an older quote but he basically outright says it in the most recent Famitsu piece.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    The problem with hybrid jobs is that they need to be unique in order to be worth using. Even if you have a tank/healer or dps/tank if they bring nothing special to the table there really is no reason to use them.
    I was just assuming in my head that "hybrid" was terrible SE language for "support" or "DPS/utility", of which for current jobs you could throw BRD in there I guess and SMN if you're from the OF and believe SMNs are all awful. Having hybrids be some actual halfway between 2 of the holy trinity would require exceptional fine-tuning in terms of new jobs, and I can already imagine OFtards calling SMN a hybrid because it can heal (badly) and DPS (the highest potentially) and tank (sort of).

A hybrid "healer/anything" or "tank/anything" would also be exceptionally pointless seeing as all current 4man content is designed to be cleared with 1 tank and 1 healer anyways.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deecup Delight
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So much for gearing my other jobs in CT lol. What a godfuckin stupid lock out. I have seen people geared faster for 2nd/3rd jobs in Coil than this 1 item a week bullshit.

Even if this content is 'fun', what the fuck makes Yoshida think we going at this shit for months for gear that is at best a stepping stone? And as pointed out, I can make a lv80 weapon pretty much the same evening I get a new lv50 job, but getting 1 piece of lv80 gear more than once a week is a no-no?

I already don't see myself clearing this content more than once, good job SE.