1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 58 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 1 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    The point is that during the 75 era, COR was really only good at meripo grinding, which is no different than grinding AK/WP myth in this game.
    Wasn't Quickdraw spam useful for Solo-kiting strategies for some NMs? My memory is fuzzy after so many years away from the game but I can't remember if that was a thing when COR was first around or if that sprouted later and then evolved into bring CORs to HNMs because Quickdraw ignores damage reduction.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I had a big rebuttal, but I lost it, and its not really important. I didn't miss your point, I just understand that SE, for some reason, didn't go about fixing it in the way that keeps War a unique butterfly. As long as the job can tank the content, I'm happy overall. To post more is fruitless; SE chose the path that they chose, be it through incompetence or inability to retain the "reactive tanking" methodology that made War different from Pld.

We'll find out in a week whether all this doom and gloom on the part of Plds is justified.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Wasn't brd a better buffer and Rng a better DPS than Cor? Did people ever use Cor over a Rng for damage or a Brd for support?

Honest question, as I don't remember too many cor Main's experiences in HNM or end-game content. I know they were the shit for merit parties, though.
    Like Rocl said, you ran with a COR with its buffing abilities not so much its dmg output.

Back on point, I'm seriously puzzled they though that we would constantly feed the slimes on T1 instead of pushing through w/ high stacks. Feeding it just runs the risks of having a healer run out of MP if your dmg output is somewhat bad.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Again, my point is that WAR is still a special snowflake; PLD is not. (Paladin will not gain any self-healing capability whatsoever, which is/was WAR's shtick.)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Wow lots of replies since my last post. Here's part two of the interview. Two parts to go:

Highlights:
    -Leveling is intended to be a tutorial rather than full-fledged content.
    -Discussion about the mess that was the first two weeks.
    -Relics are supposed to be easy to get with good communication, discussion about difficulty.
    -Item level will be going higher than 95 (along with new tomestones) in 2.2.

------

It's been about three months since the official start of service and, playing at my own pace, I finally just reached the stage where I am working on a Relic weapon. It's still too early for me to try Coil, so I'm still fighting the hard mode primals. I'm not very high in my win rate, but I'm having fun playing them.

Yoshida: One of the most important things is that people can continue playing and enjoy the content at a comfortable pace for them.

I'm working on Paladin right now, but I also like trying out other roles in the primal battles. However, I wanted to get a bit more clarity on this. Are the hard primal fights being part of the relic quest intended to gauge equipment or skill to some degree, or was the design intent for anyone to be able to get these weapons?

Yoshida: Relics are intended to be relatively easy to get for groups that play well together and have good communication.

No matter how good people's equipment are, they always need to know the unique aspects to the battle. Even then, we've wiped due to something going wrong or someone lagging. I look forward to participating in end-game content with my other LS members and I plan to obtain relic weapons first, but it's been a bit painful.

Yoshida: Yeah, so far the play style in new FFXIV has been a bit cramped towards the end stages. Part of the solution to this problem will come in patch 2.1. Right now the FFXIV content gauges strength by walls of varying degrees of difficulty in the vertical direction. We will be adding new content not only in the vertical direction, so that people who are not all at the highest levels and want to collect new equipment will be able to and motivated to do so.

Yeah, there are others like that in my linkshell and free company as well.

Yoshida: Yes, we did a poor job in providing this content from the onset. That's why in patch 2.1, we're hoping players will be more motivated to collect new equipment and work on PvE at a more horizontal level rather than in vertical tiers. Previously we had the content stacked vertically with rather steep difficulty steps. It turned out for many that they were able to do hard Ifrit and eventually hard Garuda, but hard Titan felt impossible for them.

The original plan was that Allagan Tomestones would help players move up the vertical ladder. But we've seen a state where players aren't even collecting these and haven't been participating in end-game content. In patch 2.1, we'll be adding Pharos Sirius and two hard mode dungeons, on top of Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace, to make it easier to obtain more of these. This will help people collect the tomestones more efficiently without having to repeat the same content over and over.

Of course there are those who have repeated dungeons so much to collect Darklight equipment that they are beginning to hate them, so we're also allowing players to collect 200 Philosophy per day by using the duty roulette. For example, you may participate in the low level roulette and get put in a dungeon that isn't particularly difficult, but you'll still obtain the 200 Philosophy bonus.

So this is double the 100 amount that normally drops from dungeons.

Yoshida: That's right. For players who played more slowly and got into endgame later, they found that it was like a mountain to climb to move their item level higher. As we continue with patches and the highest item levels increase, we'll continue to relax obtaining the lower level gear. Tomestones will appear in various other places in 2.1 also, by the way, such as treasure hunts and beastman daily quests. We're trying to motivate players to participate in the different kinds of content with meaningful rewards. So, in patch 2.2, when the upper limit on item level rises again, the top group of players will be motivated by the new strongest equipment. This is the current cycle that we're planning. We're sorry that the patch was delayed, but we'll make up for it.

Do you expect the item level to be limited to 95?

Yoshida: I think it will rise higher than that when we increase the upper limit. The item level will rise depending on the level of the content, and we will limit the steps so that the difficulty jumps aren't too steep.

So the item level will not increase at all in 2.1?

Yoshida: We will only be raising Allagan weapons to 95, but it will not be an extreme difference in terms of the damage performance. We wanted to give players some extra motivation with these weapons since they are proof of defeating Twintania, the most difficult boss of the Binding Coil of Bahamut, so we are raising the item level by 5.

I want to avoid discussing how far the item level will go up in 2.2 at this point, but we will be adding a new type of tomestone which will be obtained from clearing new content. Hopefully as we move forward and better equipment is obtained, the hard mode Titan will become easier to defeat as DPS happens faster, leaving less time for mistakes, and defense rises, which will give groups some breathing room to make a mistake and still be able to recover.

What about people who get stuck because of Landslide?

Yoshida: We've made some adjustments to correct this move, and we feel like it should be avoidable now for everyone (laughs). However, on the other hand, as DPS continues to increase, you'll probably be able to get through the fight even if someone gets knocked off the cliff.

Understood, so that's because the DPS will be raised as a whole?

Yoshida: Yes, the number of people with stronger gear will increase. For example, if you do hard mode Titan with seven people equipped with Allagan weapons, you should have a comfortable margin to defeat him even if one person falls off. In patch 2.1, with the level 80 equipment from Crystal Tower, there will be a middle step added for players to become more comfortable with clearing this content. Rather than relaxing the content, we want players to make the effort to obtain better equipment. By patch 2.4 or so once equipment has reached a certain level, these battles may just feel like normal monsters.

Originally we scheduled to implement patch 2.1 at the end of November, but we wanted to add a few more things, and we're working really hard to get the update out, so please hang on a bit longer. I've been working with management and we've been patient but anxious to get the content from patch 2.1 out there. It's been easy to lose track of where we were at with all of the different subgroups working on different content.

We have the three pillars that we are emphasizing in patch 2.1 by releasing them all at once, so the players will have a lot of new options from the onset. One of them, for example, is the treasure hunts. Treasure hunts are just one option from the new content which we expect people to participate in, and we don't want people to just shift from spending all their time in one type of content to spending all their time in another. In a nutshell, players will gather up treasure maps, decipher the map, go to the marked location to find the treasure chest, and finally take part in a battle to obtain the content of the chest.

I see. That's only one of the things being implemented, but you don't expect users to spend all their time doing treasure hunts.

Yoshida: That's right. We wanted to add a lot of different choices of content rather than a lot of one type of content. For example, the treasure hunts will be released along with the beastman daily quests. The number of quests you can participate in each day is fixed, and these are intended to be a solo type of content that you can participate in every day easily.

Also, we'll finally be adding the extreme primals. The battles can be repeated any number of times until you win, so we hope players will continue to practice them until they are able to clear them, and at the end they will be able to obtain one item they want. We decided to do this rather than setting some really low drop rate forcing players to repeat battles many times.

If you divide out your time, it should take at least four days out of the week to work on the new content. There will be a great deal of choices for those who are starting out as new players as well.

Should we expect the amount of content in 2.1 to be the same as the new content in 2.2 or later patches?

Yoshida: Because we are adding Wolves' Den and player housing in 2.1, it's going to be pretty unique. However, the volume of all patches will be about the same, with 3 dungeons, new primals, updates to PvP, updates to housing, new story, UI updates, and updates to duty finder which will be present in every patch.

However, in this one, we'll be adding two of the pillars for the first time. PvP and housing have been in planning for over a year and they could be the contents of their own expansion packs, so I would not expect this level of content with every update.

So now that the game's been out for three months, how do you evaluate your progress?

Yoshida: It depends on the part of the year. Those first two weeks were definitely unexpected.

Yeah, a lot of people called it the second half of the beta phase. Some people said they felt like they were playing an open beta. I know you've said that the numbers were off and the servers simply could not physically support the number of players logging in, though.

Yoshida: Well we had to sincerely apologize for that inconvenience - there was nothing we could do at the immediate moment other than apologize. It's true that we did not expect it; our internal numbers were way off.

Do you mean that you got more than you expected?

Yoshida: No, we had expected the numbers to go up from what we started with, but as we promoted the game more and more, the adoption rate was really steep, and I really misjudged it.

Anyway, it's been relatively stable after those two weeks.

Yoshida: Yes, it took an incredible amount of work to resolve (laughs). It wasn't only hardware, but the server expansion ultimately required more land as well. The data center we had wasn't large enough and we had to increase the floor space.

The main difference was that during the beta, the return rate for players from old FFXIV was very low. Even though we sent out emails, many of them did not join. As other returning players talked about the game more, though, people gradually returned to the game. We expected that the number of people returning to be more of a gentle slope, however.

I understand. In the old FFXIV, there was a fairly considerable amount of lag. For people who like to take on the primals, like me, are you concerned?

Yoshida: No, this was something we took into account from the start. The primals were added much later in old FFXIV. However, a lot of people who bought and played the old FFXIV and quit disappointed did not come back in the beta for A Realm Reborn.

So your expectations weren't so high?

Yoshida: Yeah, we weren't expecting it because numbers don't lie. When we saw the results, I had to plan our next moves, and we were hoping that we would expand moving forward. However, once we started up service, the number of people returning was huge, and I was definitely surprised.

So you anticipated server load based on the results of the beta, but those players did not participate in the beta and started only after official service began? They must have heard good feedback about the beta.

Yoshida: It's tough to really know what happened, but part of it may have been the reputation of the beta. We did get caught up in a popularity surge, but I honestly don't know for sure.

So it's been over two months now since those two weeks have ended, how has the consumption of content by users been over that time period?

Yoshida: Honestly, people progressed up to hard mode Titan more slowly than I expected.

Slower? You thought users would get there more quickly?

Yoshida: We just think about it in terms of play length. For example, for one character on one class to play straight through the game to the ending, watching all the cutscenes, etc., without taking on any side content, it only takes about 47-53 hours.

Did you plan for players to play straight through the main quest without taking on any side content?

Yoshida: Yeah, we expected that most people would want to quickly play through the whole story. However, once people got to the end of the game where eight people were required to complete content, the consumption speed dropped unexpectedly. I think a lot of people shifted to leveling up crafting and gathering classes, more than we expected. Of those who continued progressing, though, a lot of them made it up to the Binding Coil of Bahamut, more than we expected.

We initialy expected that the Binding Coil would be extremely difficult to progress through, but people have moved through it faster than we anticipated.

50 hours to clear sounds like an offline game, like an RPG.

Yoshida: Yeah. It's still pretty long compared to recent standalone games.

Yes. Compared to other MMORPGs, though, like FFXI, it's really on a completely different scale.

Yoshida: (Laughs) Yes, it's definitely totally different compared to FFXI. We looked at it compared to other recent games like Guild Wars 2, which players said took them 36 hours, maybe 42 hours on average. Modern story-driven RPGs have definitely dropped from the 50 hour clears. Other games like Call of Duty have stories that only take 6-9 hours but are packed with content, so we believed that we had to look for just the right length.

For a MMORPG, it seems like you've implemented a lot of content that you can complete in 15-30 minutes so that even people who are very busy can enjoy and accomplish things in the game.

Yoshida: Yes, I'm glad you noticed. It's true that the amount of time for playing through one piece of content is relatively short. For example, from the closed beta test to the time of official service, we shortened the Tam-Tara Deepcroft several times, based on the data from players showing the amount of time to clear the content. We used Tam-Tara as an index to approximate the clear times for all the dungeons. I believe it's very important to keep the amount of time it takes to complete any one type of content to this length.

That said, on the other hand, it seems like a lot of players are uncomfortable playing with new players. We've seen this in a lot ofonline games, but honestly after only three months, I'm kind of appalled at the kinds of shouts that I see in Mor Dhona. Some people have incredibly strict conditions (laughs).

Yoshida: I take responsibility for most of that because there's so much vertical progression and limited content at each step. We're always listening to the media and player feedback, though, and one question I get a lot is whether I've been to Wineport or Mor Dhona recently.

I'm not sure how you can fix it, though (laughs). There are a lot of terrible shouts over there. People searching for specific jobs for content and requiring +1 relic weapons, or people shouting for the Binding Coil requiring people to know and have cleared the content in the past... these are kind of extreme conditions. It seems like a lot of the players are being way too restrictive.

Yoshida: I see (laughs). That said, the people you see in these two places are really just a small fraction of Eorzea. Consider that a most servers have 3000-5000 players on them at any given time.

How do you plan to turn this around?

Yoshida: We hope that people will consider that as content expands vertically, there are still players looking to get involved in end-game content, who may feel like a level 1 player who just entered Jeuno looking at the chat loop.

I think it might have been a little milder in those days, though.

Yoshida: Yeah, I think perhaps it was a bit different.

Also, the level cap was released in steps afterwards and you were eventually able to reach the central, higher level areas little by little.

Yoshida: Yes, it was designed so that leveling up itself was content. Players in Japan in particular really enjoy leveling up. However, the spirit of the leveling process in FFXIV is that it is like a tutorial for future content. I think this will change further in 2.1, though.

Hopefully people don't feel forced to level as quickly as possible.

Yoshida: We hope that in 2.1 you don't feel the desparate need to level as fast as possible.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

COR wasn't useless for non-meripo, but they weren't really good (read: as good as BRD). The only time when you wouldn't have just wanted another BRD instead was meripo. Another hybrid example would be meripo DRG/WHM; you could have DRG DRG DRG BRD BRD COR and put out better killspeed than most DD DD DD BRD COR RDM parties.

But yeah, there's no reason to dismiss 4-man content in XIV when that's a huge chunk of weekly playtime for most of the playerbase.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Again, my point is that WAR is still a special snowflake; PLD is not. (Paladin will not gain any self-healing capability whatsoever, which is/was WAR's shtick.)
    PLD still has utility with Stun+Silence and Shield Block is pretty unique to them as well. They are also the only job in the game currently that can cause Pacification and has the ability to Cover another party member. Granted both of those abilities have almost zero use in end game but uniqueness does exist.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

COR wasn't useless for non-meripo, but they weren't really good (read: as good as BRD).
    Eh? They buffed different jobs and different things. There was no Double Attack song, no Store TP song, no Critical Hit Rate song, no Pet MAB song etc. I think you're vastly underselling Corsair's buffing potential.

If hybrids are great at AK/WP/equivalent, they are valuable.
    No, they aren't. Because you're wasting resources, time and energy to level a job for trash content that every single other job can do. That's dumb. If you don't see that, well, I don't have to say it.

If people level the job, it's because they have nothing else to do, not because being a hybrid and making those already sub 10 min runs even faster is a good idea.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    Eh? They buffed different jobs and different things. There was no Double Attack song, no Store TP song, no Critical Hit Rate song, no Pet MAB song etc. I think you're vastly underselling Corsair's buffing potential.
    For melee DDs, those rolls were useless and inferior to another March/Minuet in virtually all scenarios. For BLMs, MAB+refresh rolls were useful, but there wasn't a whole lot of content where you would have a straight BLM party, and for mixed parties you'd rather have March2/Minuet4/Ballads than Chaos/Fighter/Wizard/Evoker. Basically, COR could buff a lot of things that people didn't really care about (because it wasn't better than Marches), with the sole exception of Corsair's Roll (which was irreplaceable).

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Because you're wasting resources, time and energy to level a job for trash content that every single other job can do. That's dumb.
    DRG and MNK cannot currently participate in WP speedrun as they have no AoE damage output of significance. They are therefore restricted to 25+min AK instead of "sub 10min" WP.

You are saying that it is not worthwhile for a career DRG to level another job for myth grinding, even if they have no intention of playing it elsewhere? Even though it cuts their run time in half?

Do you grasp the concept of why "merit jobs" existed in the first place? This is not WoW.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

What is preventing you from having capped marches + rolls though? Party swapping wasn't exactly a rare phenomenon for buffers in endgame XI during TOAU.

Something like 2 bards 1 corsair per alliance sure, but still neither outlandish or as subpar as you make it out to be. For any content you used magic damage (which varied depending on your linkshell set up, most linkshells i had preferred BLM dmg on Khimaira for some raison) there was little to no benefit for the dual bard buffs.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    PLD still has utility with Stun+Silence and Shield Block is pretty unique to them as well. They are also the only job in the game currently that can cause Pacification and has the ability to Cover another party member. Granted both of those abilities have almost zero use in end game but uniqueness does exist.
    I assume the point he was making is that Plds no longer have the uniqueness of a flat mitigation percentage through doing nothing at all, and that's true. Warriors will have relative mitigation, higher hp, higher crit, equal stuns, no silence, and a few others.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Are we seriously talking about COR now? I mean... really?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

When I see a topic about a FF14 Famitsu Interview, I immediately expect some FF11 Corsair discussion.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mina's internal dialogue
    Why am I reading all this FFXI stuff when I came for FFXIV Famitsu stuff?

Did I click on the wrong section by accident? Wow that would be really silly of me to post something FFXIV related in the wrong s--no wait...
    Guys I appreciate how much you care about FFXI and its mechanics but stay on topic.
    Slycer took the time to get this shit to you that we don't need to clog it with this. TBR already asked nicely (kinda).

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    Are we seriously talking about COR now? I mean... really?
    But XIV BRD = XI COR is what I'm understanding from this convo

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

gdi, i lol'd

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Nah it's XIV SCH = XI COR because SCH is pretty much a hybrid with Cleric Stance DPS in AK/WP/etc.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Interesting interview, but I don't really see how leveling can be considered a "tutorial" unless they manage to make dungeons the go-to choice for EXPing. However even if they could DD still suffer from the long-assed queue times.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Interesting interview, but I don't really see how leveling can be considered a "tutorial" unless they manage to make dungeons the go-to choice for EXPing. However even if they could DD still suffer from the long-assed queue times.
    I'm thinking he means the first time through, if you're taking advantage of the various EXP bonuses on hests and the forced progression through dungeons in the main scenario. I actually went through the guildhests for lulz after hitting level 50, and I was surprised at how well they familiarize you with a lot of the battle tactics that you'll need for end-game in a remarkably concise way without feeling super hand-holdy. The dungeons emphasize a lot of those same tactics in their boss battles, so they're complementary as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast