1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 0 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 23 hours, 56 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 17 hours, 3 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 16 hours, 56 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corrderio View Post
    Interesting interview, but I don't really see how leveling can be considered a "tutorial" unless they manage to make dungeons the go-to choice for EXPing. However even if they could DD still suffer from the long-assed queue times.
    Boom right there. That needs to be done. FATEs don't teach people shit about playing their jobs--especially the higher level ones. You're lucky to see those mobs and none of that combat teaches you do play your class/job effectively.

I do appreciate that some of the early class quests do a decent job at teaching you to play your job (at least the ones I've done) but then you spend the rest of your time spamming flash, miasma II claim, etc etc in FATEs.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    I'm thinking he means the first time through, if you're taking advantage of the various EXP bonuses on hests and the forced progression through dungeons in the main scenario. I actually went through the guildhests for lulz after hitting level 50, and I was surprised at how well they familiarize you with a lot of the battle tactics that you'll need for end-game in a remarkably concise way without feeling super hand-holdy. The dungeons emphasize a lot of those same tactics in their boss battles, so they're complementary as well.
    I actually keep forgetting those exist. Though yeah I still feel like some jobs have a tad bit of a "complexity" to them you really can't pick up on the go such as skill rotations. Though maybe that's just me since XI and GW2 didn't exactly have that high of skill ceilings compared to XIV. Or at least that's how it feels.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Guildhests were definitely great while leveling, even though I knew most of this stuff from other games already or just common sense. Adamantoise one was annoying with people that refused to read/pay attention though...

As far as I know though, the game never really mentions them (maybe there was a quest to unlock them at some point? can't remember) and most people may never even do them.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Cor buffs were weak until they got a nice big buff like three months into ToAU. A single cor roll was better than two bard songs of the same type if you got a good roll with a job bonus (something they said they wanted specifically). Corsair's Attk/Acc buff after that was always superior to having the bard do it, so the bard pretty much only had to sing Marches. If it was an alliance thing bards were rotating SV and splitting up haste/acc/attk and Cors did something like Rogue/Fighter. Either way, Corsair was never useless as a support job.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth View Post
    Guildhests were definitely great while leveling, even though I knew most of this stuff from other games already or just common sense. Adamantoise one was annoying with people that refused to read/pay attention though...

As far as I know though, the game never really mentions them (maybe there was a quest to unlock them at some point? can't remember) and most people may never even do them.
    Aren't you forced into the first one as part of the main scenario? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember at least being led there.

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Speaking of Dungeon EXP needing a boost, Slycer would you mind confirming something for me? In one of the earlier interview you posted that dungeon exp would receive a 50% boost compared to before but in another thread on the OF someone was tossing around 150% (think it was from a Reinhart translation? not sure). Did he specifically state it would be a 50% boost or was it something like 150% and it could be read as either a 150% boost or that exp would be 150% of what it is now, hence the 50% boost?

Aren't you forced into the first one as part of the main scenario? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember at least being led there.
    I wanna say you weren't but then my friends and I did them anyway to make the level grind less tedious. Guildhests would be pretty useful still if the First Time Bonus was a daily thing instead of literally First Time only.

Falcom is better than SE. Change my mind.
    BG Level

I think you talk to the guildhest guy (Or I did that on pure coincidence) and that was it. Only real group thing I remember being forced into were dungeons.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I know people who have completely missed the quest to unlock leves in general, much less the guildhest guy immediately after it, so no it's not mandatory.

Wild Card
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mina Pulchra
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I know people who have completely missed the quest to unlock leves in general, much less the guildhest guy immediately after it, so no it's not mandatory.
    Yup. I've done the story for this game 3x now. Not mandatory at all.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Voyage1970 View Post
    Speaking of Dungeon EXP needing a boost, Slycer would you mind confirming something for me? In one of the earlier interview you posted that dungeon exp would receive a 50% boost compared to before but in another thread on the OF someone was tossing around 150% (think it was from a Reinhart translation? not sure). Did he specifically state it would be a 50% boost or was it something like 150% and it could be read as either a 150% boost or that exp would be 150% of what it is now, hence the 50% boost?
    It doesn't say it's going up by 50%, it says it's going up to (by?) 150%. I went back to look and I guess it's misleading and could be interpreted either way, but it says explicitly that you'll be able to get about 3x what you currently get when you also factor in the rested EXP bonus and the duty roulette bonus. Considering that the rested bonus alone is 100%, it wouldn't make any sense if it's going up by 150% (to 2.5x the current value), since that would put you at more than 3x the current value without even factoring in the duty roulette bonus.

Here's the original Q&A in JP with the info about the dungeon EXP increase. ID = "Instanced Dungeon"

Code:
    ――そこからさらにIDで入手できる経験値も増えるんですよね?

もともとベースの経験値から約150%アップになっていて、そこからレストボーナスやコンテンツルーレットボーナスが入れば、今の3倍くらいもらえるはずです。そこから不足ロールボーナスがつけばさらに上がるので、レベルの低いうちは1回のIDで、どーんとレベルが上がると思います。1日1回なので、その日の育成はそれで切り上げて他のクラスを上げるか、それとも次の日に続きをやるか、プレイの幅や選択もさらに広がると思います。

Running Hell
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Curly Brace
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Rested bonus is actually only 50% unless you count armory bonus as well. I thought the duty roulette bonus was just a straight % of your current level so that would make it kinda hard to quantify it as triple exp or not. Guess we'll know for sure in a few days. Thanks for clarifying. You da best.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I actually keep forgetting those exist. Though yeah I still feel like some jobs have a tad bit of a "complexity" to them you really can't pick up on the go such as skill rotations. Though maybe that's just me since XI and GW2 didn't exactly have that high of skill ceilings compared to XIV. Or at least that's how it feels.
    Dunno if I buy that GW2 is less complex than XIV overall. XI is a fossil so yeah, anything remotely alive should outpace it.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lyn Tah'row
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Sorry that this is from a few pages back now, but didn't they pretty much choose that method of fixing WAR because if you give warrior enough self healing to survive Coil like paladins, warriors would be literally unkillable on easier content?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

It wasn't specifically stated but that's one of the problems they faced with sticking with a drain-tank approach.

Quote Originally Posted by gaogaostegosaurus View Post
    Sorry that this is from a few pages back now, but didn't they pretty much choose that method of fixing WAR because if you give warrior enough self healing to survive Coil like paladins, warriors would be literally unkillable on easier content?
    Technically yes, cus if war heals scaled to dmg, it would have to be either additive over the last couple seconds of dmg taken, to counter large back to back dmg skills, or have a very quick recast. which would make war pretty much op on everything, it is already pretty strong on easier content, there are times I am asked if I even need healing in certain encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    DRG and MNK cannot currently participate in WP speedrun as they have no AoE damage output of significance.
    Except they can. I've done sub 10 mins on my MNK and I've done it with a DRG. Want to try again?

That's like saying SCH can't do WP SR because they can't spam holy which makes it slightly easier/faster, which is just stupid.

I do speed runs on mnk all the time..

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Backing him up on that: Did a ~14 minute WP with a dragoon earlier. We changed up our method after that though so I'm sure we could knock off a minute or two.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Hoping he mentions the outrage over CT in one of the last two parts.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Interesting interview, but I don't really see how leveling can be considered a "tutorial" unless they manage to make dungeons the go-to choice for EXPing. However even if they could DD still suffer from the long-assed queue times.
    Eh? But dungeons give you quite a decently sized amount of bonus exp for completing a dungeon for the first time. They very well should be the go-to choice for exping when you're leveling your first class. Especially since you need to do them for the story line in the first place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast