Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Moving into an apartment, advice?

So yeah, I have some questions about living in a complex. I have before but it was when I was a little kid, my parents had shared custody and I was rarely actually there for a long time.

I'm alone now and the sole benefactor of my own well being here. Which is great, but new.

First, I read a bunch of reviews of places around here and came to the conclusion that they mean absolutely nothing. Every complex in the zip code had majority negative reviews blasting the safety and front office. There is no way that they are all crime ridden shit holes. I don't live in that bad of an area (albeit, it is Memphis, so I'm not making any excuses)

Regardless I do have a first floor unit. There is also a sliding glass door that leads out to the patio. Doesn't seem very safe to me. I want to secure it, but I'm not sure the best way to go about making it safer. I'm going to put a "beware of dog" sign on there, even though I don't have a dog, I guess.

One thing my friend said might be a good sign is that the place I rented out is apparently where most of the front office lives, the ones that actually live in the complex at least. One would be led to believe that the people who actually work for the complex would want the area they live in to have the highest security.

I am not really concerned about pest issues or sanitation. This is a rather high luxury complex, it should come with the package. I can fog out a bunch of the bugs myself if I have to.

Basically this thread is for people to dispel any fears about being a bitch and getting robbed and/or give tips for someone moving out on their own to an apartment for the first time.

And yes, before you ask, I am armed. I prefer not to get to the point where I am pointing my five-seven at someone in my home. I'd rather they not be there.

Check what the maintenance policy is (if it's 24hr or what) and get it in writing incase shit breaks. Take photos of EVERYTHING and save them for when you eventually move out to get your full deposit back if you can. If you're like me, check to see how many rooms are wired for internet and where at, also how many electrical outlets there are. Ask about what utilities are included, and if the person showing you around lives there, ask them what they pay on average for those utilities.

Try to get a place on the 2nd floor or w/e, just not on the top or bottom, that way your heating will be sliiiiiiightly less. Take note of how many windows there are, if you live in a cold area you don't want too many windows during winter since a lot of heat will escape.

Ask how old each appliance is, if they are old pieces of shit, ask about having them replaced and what the policy is on that.

See if there are any bonuses (24hr gym, room with computers and printers for convenience, etc) When you walk into the lobby of the office, look around and see how well kept it is, if it looks fairly shitty just stroll right back on out because the apartments are bound to look even worse.

Ask about parking policy and if you have your own spot. Ask about snow removal if you are in an area with snow.

Me and the wife are looking at apartments right now actually so these are just a few things that spring to mind when i'm looking at these apartments.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Had typed a whole bunch of stuff about searching until I realized you had already moved in. Oh well.

Renter's Insurance. If the complex requires it then that says a good thing about the complex. If they don't get it anyways. Its like 15 bucks a month and is well worth the expense.

Get blinds or curtains for the sliding glass door. Just make sure the door is securable, and would take considerable effort to unlock otherwise (outside of smasing it, which would draw attention).

Getting to know your neighbors helps too. If its a community like that, especially with employees living close to you, they're the ones who tend to keep all eyes open and aware.

I did the same thing with an old "security system" sign in a potted plant outside my door in my new complex. After a month though, I just felt it was silly and unnecessary. My complex is also security staffed and gated 24/7. If your place looks secure, especially with blinds or curtains over the doors and people can't easily see in they'll generally leave it alone.

http://apartment-tips.forrent.com/wp...Checklist1.png

This is a generally good go-to list for what to look for in a new apartment. It's helped me a lot.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Lease is already signed, did all of the check list way beforehand.

Complex is about 16 years old, forgot to ask if the security system requires me to get a land line. Likelyhood that's the case? I will find out for myself probably within 24 hours just curious about it.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

don't room with strippers. sounds fun, but they'll steal your shit and eat all of your food

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zimt Zucker
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

If you want to further secure your sliding glass door, you can get a length of wood doweling (about an inch or two in diameter so that it's sturdy) to lay in the door track. Make sure to get enough to fill the entire length of the track, minus about half an inch or so for easy removal. If someone manages to bypass the door lock they'll still be unable to open the door (short of breaking the glass) due to the physical obstruction .

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Also consider installing motion detection lights for your patio/sliding glass door area. If someone comes up to break in at night that will change their mind pretty quickly.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

install a spike wall trap inside the patio door, and dig a trench outside your patio door. then set up blow darts triggered by pressure plates in the floor. also, for extra security, put all your valuables on pressure plates and rig them to a giant boulder.

be completely impregnable.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

When you say first floor, do you mean ground floor? Man, I'd never pick ground floor even if it was the best flat in the building.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Laugana View Post
    When you say first floor, do you mean ground floor? Man, I'd never pick ground floor even if it was the best flat in the building.
    I just moved into a ground floor apartment. It's two floors (finished basement), two bedrooms, driveway, deck, and backyard as opposed to single bedroom with balcony on the top floor. I lived in the single previously. There are certainly times when moving to the ground floor is advantageous.

living in a luxury place alone, and already moved in, I dunno what to tell ya

you've avoided bad roommates, bad water pressure (probably), bad heating, questionable landlord (paying in cash or not)

enjoy

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    don't room with strippers. sounds fun, but they'll steal your shit and eat all of your food
    Best advice in this thread. Wouldn't be surprise if many are also hookers.

Don't be a douche and cook stinky food. If all possible avoid having furry pets, especially if there is carpet.

BE NICE TO your neighbors! Take the time to introduce yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    be completely impregnable.
    Why would getting pregnant be any concern of his?

Don't be a douche and cook stinky food.
    I hated when I did contract work for a housing company and I had to go to the Korean's home that just fucking STANK of weird food and strange other smells.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by vagus View Post
    Take the time to introduce yourself.

I've lived here 10 months, still havent introduced myself to my neighbors. FUCK BEING SOCIAL

i say hi and shit when i see them, though. which is pretty rare.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    i shit when i see them
    All I saw.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

I HAVE A DISEASE LEAVE ME ALONE

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Not saying you should drop to your knees and start gobbling dick. Being just a bit kind, gives you some slack when you want to have that party. Instead of neighbors complaining to the manager.

I'm a property manager, if you really want to suck up to me. Gifts are always nice. Also, don't be an idiot and constantly call over minor shit. Compile a list and give it to the manager all at one time.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I think I've met nearly all the tenants in my building, and I only know about 3 of them by name. My upstairs neighbour I know intimately, due to hearing everything he does...

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

being on the ground floor is nice cuz you can be relatively loud without worrying about disturbing anyone under you

just make sure all your valuable shit isn't in plain view of your sliding glass door. get blinds and shit. Get a charley bar or use a piece of wood on the track as a previous poster mentioned.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

also it's easier to move in on the ground floor.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast