+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

I've had plenty of videos refuse to buffer more than 30 seconds ahead, then magically stop buffering at all. Workarounds have been mentioned but you shouldn't need a workaround to get videos to work properly in the first place.

Also, things like having to rebuffer if you go back more than a certain amount in a video are infuriating. There are lots of little design choices that I presume are meant to save/make Google money, but in the end it just degrades their product.

Their player is shit, their search algorithm is exploited to hell by bots and they've been caught for years manipulating their own partner videos to stay on top. Google+ is AOL-tier garbage on an already shitty service.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    I've been tinkering w/ youku and it's better tbqh. The fact that a user can pause a video and it will generate a q code for you to send it to another mobile it's pretty cool. They have a bunch of other neat shit.
    Youku has always been absurdly slow any time i've used it.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    Their player is shit, their search algorithm is exploited to hell by bots and they've been caught for years manipulating their own partner videos to stay on top. Google+ is AOL-tier garbage on an already shitty service.
    I get to watch the video I wanted, again, not seeing the big deal here.

Cant comment much on player quality as I dont really use that many other video sites because most are slow (understandably as not everybody has google infraestructure to back them) or full of ads or shady shit.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Youtube has always been fine with me too, but my experience with fixing user problems relating to youtube usually drums down to the huge cluster of addons they have installed for their browser.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

More:

YouTuber Angry Joe has revealed that 62 of his videos have been flagged by the video service’s Content ID system. On the video he calls out those making the claims over music used in videos, footage and original content like his Tomb Raider interview. He also cites the Fair Use clauses found in US law and accuses YouTube of waiting until channels generated millions of views before using Content ID strikes to take money away from creators.

He argues that seeking permission for game review videos will see negative reviews rejected by publishers, and that the approval process will damage content creators, not to mention take away what is essentially free advertising for the game creators and publishers.

Joe adds that he cannot get in touch with YouTube and any channels he’s tried have resulted in no response. An official YouTube statement in the Content ID format reads, “We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of MCNs. This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid.”

So this means that yes, this is now an official policy at YouTube. It begs the question why Content ID match claims are coming from companies with no visible links from game publishers
    Also, although there has been no official press release, the big YouTube networks like Machinima are not immune to this as some of their partners are getting hit. It affects everyone.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

DarkSidePhil is usually quite terrible, but his videos regarding this have been extremely informative.

Quill18 is one of my favourites and he made a video today about it

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

DSP supposedly fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    Fair enough, the rest of your post is utter bullshit, get an actual internet connection.
    Fiber =/= interwebs.

And yeah like others have said, their service is sporadic as fuck. I can go 2hrs watching videos on the same channel w/o a problem, then suddenly no videos will load or buffer past 10 seconds. A simple google search brings up hundreds of links on the subject with "work arounds" that may or may not work.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

https://twitter.com/terrycavanagh/st...55480315920384

Yo dog, I heard you like content claims...

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

So the best part about the VVVVVV music claims is that Souleye (the composer) publishes his musics to iTunes through one company (TuneCore), who then partnered with another company (INDMusic) and gave away the entire music database to them to enforce on YouTube. Oh, and they did it by amending their contract agreement and (apparently) not informing all the rights holders that they were doing this.

Souleye then has an exchange with TuneCore over Twitter where TuneCore doesn't understand the concept of allowing Let's Plays and other videos to use the music freely without direct consent from Souleye.

https://twitter.com/MPSouleye/status...88848780873728

If you don't know them, how could you give them permission to use your music? It's claimed for you, since you wrote it.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

VVVVVV dev's copyright appeal rejected by YouTube
    YouTube has rejected Terry Cavanagh’s copyright appeal over a video of VVVVVV he posted on the service.

In December, VVVVVV developer Terry Cavanagh was hit with Content ID claims by YouTube on his own trailers.

The service issued the takedown as the music in the video infringed on copyrighted material.

Cavanagh appealed the claim with a dispute because it was his own copyrighted material, which he and many others found odd on Google’s part.

However, earlier this week he received word back from YouTube that it had rejected it and reinstated the copyright claim.

Apparently, even though Cavanagh owns the rights to use the SoulEye music in VVVVVV, but Indmusic filed a copyright claim.

Both Indmusic and Tunecore seem to be the core reasons behind many of the indie takedown notices.
    http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/25/yout...eal-on-vvvvvv/
    https://twitter.com/terrycavanagh/st...661952/photo/1

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

This is hilarious at this point. Was there anything on the monetization review that was supposed to happen in January? Anyone hear anything?