1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 30 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 29 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 30 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

FFXIV and issue with computer becoming unresponsive.

I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem like this. After about 10~30 mins of being logged in my mouse and keyboard become completely unresponsive. The game keeps running normally, and if i was auto-running i will keep running. There is no packet loss, no computer freezing issues or anything. Im just not allowed to do ANYTHING. I cannot alt tab out of game or close it or even bring up task manager. Everything just stops responding.

So far it only occurs while playing FFXIV, even if im on a different window( browsing and whatnot). Has yet to happen without FFXIV running. Have not had this issue running any other games or putting any stress on my machine.

I made a post on official forums about this, but was wondering if anyone here can give me a bit more insight with whats going on or what may be happening. If there is already a post on this please point me to it because I fail at search.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Sounds like you're in full screen or use 2 screen (the different window and what not).

Try it without full screen first and report back.

Check your power settings also (Control Panel > Power) -- disable screensaver, hard disk turn off, monitor turn off.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Screen config is borderless windowed and no dual monitors. Switched it to windowed and double checked all the power settings, will have to wait before I can test this out though. Thanks for some feed back though.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Gotcha.

At the same time, see if you can post your motherboard, some do have weird sleep issues with usb devices which I presume your mouse and keyboard are usb.

Maybe a dabble in Control Panel>System and Security>Power Options>Edit Plan Settings>Advanced Power Options and look for USB power management options.... I doubt it's that though (it's also incredibly rare).

Also did it just started happening? Or since you started playing. I'm sure the game is modern enough to recognise that even when playing a game your PC is, infact, active and not idle, though it's not unknown for it to treat it like so on some hardware/software.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130686 link to motherboard.

It only just started being an issue after updating for 2.1. It also doesn't happen with any other games.

And when it goes unresponsive it will actually lock whatever button I was pushing last on screen, so if I was running and strafed left when it occurred I would continue strafing until I reset my computer.

quick edit: i dont think its anything with power to the mouse/keyboard since lights are all on (laser mouse/numlock indicator light). Also there is no indication of a usb device being removed (stupid little sound that it makes)

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Going through Event Viewer I found these 3 errors at roughly the last time this issue happened.

1:19:09 - CAgentState::RegisterHidEvent Unable to connect to the keyboard filter driver, error=2
    1:19:09 - CAgentState::RegisterHidEvent Unable to connect to the mouse filter driver, error=2
    1:19:09 - CAgentState::DoPeriodicSuspendResume Failed to register HID evnet to filter driver

Don't know if anyone can make more sense of that.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I'll surrender, haha. This has got me confused now. Google shows nothing either.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Had to update to beta drivers for video cards, seems to have fixed this issue.

Had a similar problem a while back. Seems to be a driver-related issue.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Now that I updated to beta drivers, all of my other games are having this issue. . .can't fucking win.

Actually when I had my related error I ended up having to reinstall Windows and everything with it. Not sure if it will be the same for you (hope not) but there it is.

I'm using a Geforce GTX 275, pretty old card.

Have you tried using certified drivers instead?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

The original drivers I updated to were last stable release, non beta, and I still had the issue, just downloaded the last drivers from the gpu manufacturers site and gonna give those a try.

edit: the manufacturers drivers won't install, kept getting a 7zip error. Ended up just deleting the drivers and doing a fresh install from CD that came with the gpus.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I had this issue since release, and only on 14. I googled a post about lowering the FPS from 60 to 30. Pretty much worked for me, only had one lock up since. Give that a shot.

Makes me wonder if you're dealing with some kind of defect. My GTX285 developed the compulsion to crash incessantly when playing Rift, and I'm talking computer-locking full screen garbage mode. It happened very, very rarely with other stuff, and like never with XIV, but on a whim I picked up a new card a month back and everything seems okay now all around. Overall, it's a problem I spent a long time trying to diagnose believing there was something specific about Rift that was bad juju, but Trion was ultimately useless and Nvidia support liked to claim it wasn't them, either.

If it's under warranty, it may be worth getting an RMA.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Reformated and reinstalled windows, issue persisted, tried reformatting and putting windows on a differed hdd, fresh install, still an issue. I give up.
    This happens even browsing the web now.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Lets try to deduce the problem more if it really is GPU related.

What's your CPU? If it's an Ivy Bridge with HD4000, disable your GPU go onboard. FFXIV does run on HD4000 but it becomes a bit CPU dependant at that point (a test was done using laptop i5 CPU and also a desktop i7 3770s and the laptop performed worst; desktop played it fine with a slight input delay but not enough to really affect gameplay. Both were obviously less smooth).

If you're using the top of the crop, then a Haswell with a HD4200+ will also run it. The idea is to see if your GPU is really up to something.

If it's an AMD jobbie, they should also run, but I've never personally tested.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

My shit laptop will at least run the game, so I'm almost positive whatever you got should still run it if you go onboard. Like Stig said, that's a good way to eliminate the GPU... but you almost did that already with reinstall etc... starting to sound a lot like hardware, specifically GPU to me, especially if it's happening viewing the web. I'd just go onboard and browse the web and see if issue persists.

If you've done a full reinstall and reformat and it happens even when browsing, it sounds like a serious problem which should be looked into ASAP. It also sounds like it may be a hardware issue.

Computer stuff is notoriously difficult to troubleshoot via the Web, so maybe get a computer-savvy friend or a technician to look at it?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Ran a GPU monitor last night and managed to view it during an error. Except there were no errors. Everything with the gpus was fine. Nothing spiked, nothing changed drastically, Heat stayed fairly consistent at sub 40c (just had the gpu monitor going while reinstalling some stuff, no real stress). Even when mouse and keyboard went unresponsive the monitor kept displaying and updating, with accurate times indicating how long it was running. I cant see this being a hardware issue unless its not caused by the gpus.

Took both gpus out and running from mobo anyway, just to see if it is something. Kind of at a loss as to what I should look at next I keep getting this problem. So far no issues, but its only been like 10 mins.

Edit: about 20 mins in everything locked up again, Only windows up where firefox and ffxiv install. Going through event log I can't even find anything indicating there was a problem.