Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Broz Bastrum
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Regarding the new interface (20/12/2013)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...User-Interface

[dev1156] New User Interface

A new user interface for the Windows version of the game has been implemented on the test server client.

Table of Contents:

Notes Regarding the New User Interface
    Basic Controls and Reading the Screen
    Main Menu
    Status
    Equipment
    Magic List
    Items
    Delivery
    Abilities
    Party
    Trade
    Search
    Linkshell
    Friend List
    Map
    Missions
    Quests
    Key Items
    View House
    Macros (Information regarding switching the macro palette was updated on December 20, 2013.)
    Config (Information about Other (2) was updated on December 20, 2013.)
    Help Desk
    Shut Down

-----

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Not sure how I feel. Some of it looks good but I'll have to see it all In action

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Some of it looks just kinda ewww.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

The last time I tried it, it was terrible. The post doesn't seem to have been updated much at all, but I'm downloading it now to find out.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

i really dont see the point of an UI change ¬.¬. if it fucks up the game in anyway I will be mad...

last time we had a "UI" update to the macro palette it added a huge lag to makeing the macro palette show up, i really dont want more delay on that.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah not really sure what about that they think needs fixing. I mean why devote already limited resources to a system that works fine when there are currently tons of bugs that we are still finding not to mention content would be nice. And then of course you know this new thing will have bugs itself. And ascetically just kinda looks like garbage. And doesn't look like it improves anything

All the work and they still can't display accuracy/evasion/etc, kind of annoying they spent that much time on something that barely improves anything. The icons/Red-yellow-green macro thing is kinda nice but that's the only thing I can see.

And the UI itself just looks...yuck. When they added the icons I thought were too convoluted but this is just hideous, it just looks like windows safe mode or something.

E before O except before E-I-E-I-O.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kyleen Garaka
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I was trying to play with it, but POL just crashes right before the login screen.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Yeah, I think describing it's aesthetic as "Window's Safe Mode" is pretty succinct.

I just don't understand what this new UI is supposed to improve. As Kincard said, if it allowed us to see currently hidden stats, etc then OK but if it's just for mouse controls or something then that's useless to me.

That's something I've always disliked about every modern RPG out there: heavy mouse use (read: the way modern MMOs and games like LoL control) quickly tires my hand out and I find Keyboard+mouse controls a lot more cumbersome and clunky then just Keyboard.

The fact that FFXI gives me the luxury of use keyboard only is just another pro to it's controls and general battle pacing.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

The graphics are probably deliberately bare-bones, so they can make sure everything is functional before they bother making it look good. Still seems useless, but at least they're going about designing it in the right order.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Broz Bastrum
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

I seriously hope its just bare-bones since right now it looks like something from an Amiga OS, also not sure why they are bothering with drop 'n drag for equips now, unless they are going to do something to completely break spellcast and such but then again guess they have to cater for anyone that doesn't actually use it or even simple /equip macros of old

Quote Originally Posted by Mefuki View Post
    That's something I've always disliked about every modern RPG out there: heavy mouse use (read: the way modern MMOs and games like LoL control) quickly tires my hand out and I find Keyboard+mouse controls a lot more cumbersome and clunky then just Keyboard.

The fact that FFXI gives me the luxury of use keyboard only is just another pro to it's controls and general battle pacing.
    For me, it's not so much tiring my hand out as it is I can't kick back like I did when playing XI. As well, it feels like a waste to generally have my right and dominant hand controlling so few buttons. This is usually the point where someone pipes up to say one should drop a few hundred on gaming mouse/keyboard or petty shit like keyboard turning is fail, but whatever. Typically it winds up being impossible to emulate keyboard only in other games, usually because their targeting system sucks in skipping over certain elements.

It looks like they made this in MS Paint

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    ...I can't kick back like I did when playing XI.
    Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    ...it feels like a waste to generally have my right and dominant hand controlling so few buttons.
    Both good points as well. I agree.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah I really like how well the current system allows for easy control from just the keyboard. I seriously hope they don't change that because a large part of the reason I never even installed my premium version XIV when it came out was how much worst the controls were.

You'll be able to use the old UI whatever the case so these concerns don't really matter that much IMO.

I get that they maybe want to make keyboard control a bit easier but it feels like they tacked on a lot of unnecessary stuff on top of it. Oh well, like people said it's not done yet so maybe it'll look better later down the road.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Plus this stuff is on the test server perfect time to test it out and give feedback. I'm sure the hand full of folks in this thread aren't the only ones with similar concerns.

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

not very much appears to have changed from the last time i tried the UI aside from the fact that nothing crashed my client in the short time that i tinkered with it lol.

the windows 3.1 looks is very much just bare bones.. and they'll probably skin over with prettier texture overlays or something reminiscent of what FFXI already has when they're more or less finalized with the layout.

Everything is somewhat clunky because all actions require a target.. so even when you're doing self buffs JAs like boost, you know you're not going to just click twice.. you need to click once to bring up a targeter (which can only target yourself) and again to confirm. I don't expect them to change this aspect of the targeting system..

on the other hand, the other issues is that the macro bar is quite an eyesore (can't seem to hide it). im guessing its meant to resemble the hotbar ala newer gen MMOs. it definitely requires more customization options. even XIV doesn't have enough in the way of UI layout arrangement (esp sizing, tho they have added more options).. so there should be an option somewhere to keep what you want visible and what you dont hidden.

Additionally, one of the beauties of FFXI is that UI elements are pretty minimal, and you're left with the barest minimum when nothing requires it (buff status/ radar/ HP/MP/server info).. which lends a more captivating experience imo.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Spira View Post
    Additionally, one of the beauties of FFXI is that UI elements are pretty minimal, and you're left with the barest minimum when nothing requires it (buff status/ radar/ HP/MP/server info).. which lends a more captivating experience imo.
    We never need to know our accuracy or evasion, or ranged stats

Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Well if they ever decide to display those stats for players i'd reckon it wouldn't be specific to a single UI. iirc they wanted to preserve equal opportunity across all systems or whatever.. And I don't think PS2 is getting a new UI, just as it didn't get some of the cosmetic changes