Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    okay guy I guess
    BG Level

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    on the youtube/evolvegame channel there is a 54 min video where you see the battle from everyone's point of view

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

That looked like a lot of fun.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

yeah I'm excite to play this one with my bros

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...is-october-21/
    2K Games has announced a worldwide Evolve release date of October 21 on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Consumers who pre-orders the game from participating retailers will receive the Monster Expansion Pack, which includes the Savage Goliath skin at launch, and a new monster character post-launch. Select retailers will also be offering the Exterminator Weapon Skin Pack or Instant Hunter Pack as pre-order bonuses.

Blending cooperative and competitive multiplayer experiences as a team of four hunters face off against a single, player-controlled monster on an alien planet in the distant future, Evolve is the latest game from Turtle Rock Studios, creator of Left 4 Dead.

It will launch with multiple monsters, hunters, game modes, and more than a dozen maps.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...e-sleeper-hit/
    It's rare that a hands-on preview event ends in a roar of approval from the hacks in attendance. As a rule, games journalists are a pretty cynical bunch, our anticipation having been dulled by continual PR spin, jetlag and crushed expectations - to say nothing of the flames in the comment sections under our articles.

So it was a real thrill to see a room filled with these miserable sods staring enrapt at the five journalists involved in the last match of Evolve from 2K's pre-E3 slate last week. We were all like kids crowded around an arcade cabinet, watching the battle between beast and hunter go right down to the wire over a stretch of twenty-five minutes. There was a palpable buzz in the room.

From a purely analytical perspective - and hey, that's part of the reason you're reading this - it was proof that Turtle Rock's newest co-op FPS is a meticulously balanced affair. The momentum in Evolve's frenetic matches can roll easily between monster and hunter and back again, and the key to maintaining the pressure in this exchange is tied up in experience and skill.

Players controlling the monster have to be intimately acquainted with the beast they control. For the purposes of our hands-on, we only had Goliath, the same snarling, boulder-pitching, fire-belching monstrosity that was made available at the first hands-on back in February and, incidentally, we were playing on the same map - although the developers had added a ton of content to it. However, Turtle rock has introduced some new kinks to the monster's load-out that allows players to customise how they approach the carnage.

Players still get a perk - the ability to consume prey faster, damage resistance and the like - but the leveling up system has been rejigged. In the February's demo, players were locked into opening abilities for Goliath that they may never use - such as his jump attack or his boulder toss. Now, they can plug three levels of damage into one or two abilities, allowing them to deal more damage with them.

They'll always have a melee attack, and they'll always need to chow down on NPC beasts to evolve, but they can also boost Goliath's fire belch to hellishly damaging levels. They can also shelve powers they don't need or that don't work very well in the environment they're in - in the map I played on, there were very few wide-open spaces, meaning Goliath's ability to hurl rocks was limited at best.

Players controlling the monster also need to learn the map a bit. Since they're on the run from the other four players from the get-go, it's worth taking note of where the most dangerous beasts on the map are, so they can lead the other players towards them. The Hunters will then have to spend precious minutes dealing with gigantic toads or man-eating plants before they resume chase. Best case scenario: a Hunter dies and the player controlling the monster has managed to thin the number of pursuers they have.

The changes to Evolve on the Hunter side of the fence, however, are more pronounced. Turtle Rock unveiled four brand new characters for players to control, although all of them were based on the four class templates introduced in the first hands-on event: Assault, Support, Medic and Trapper.

First up, Hyde stands in for Markov in the Assault class. He's armed with a chaingun - great at a distance - and a flamethrower - the most damage-dealing gun in the game, but only decent up close. Other than that he has a personal shield, which makes him invulnerable for brief periods of time and gas grenades that can flush the team's quarry out of any safe zones.

"The momentum in Evolve's frenetic matches can roll easily between monster and hunter and back again"

Bucket is the new Support character. He's a robot who can pull his own head off and fling it into the map, enabling the player controlling him to gain a UAV view. Bucket also has deployable gun turrets, which are great for turning bottlenecks into kill chambers and a launcher that fires rockets the player can guide with the reticule. He can also cloak the entire group for brief periods.

The new Medic is a shifty-eyed soul named Lazarus - whose name may or may not owe a debt of inspiration to a couple of Batman comic storylines. The reason being that Lazarus is able to resurrect fallen comrades as a secondary attack. His main weapon is a silenced sniper rifle that highlights weak points on the target for the other players. Rounding out his equipment is a health boost burst that heals anyone in his vicinity and a personal cloaking device.

Finally, there's Maggie, the new Trapper character. She comes armed with a machine gun and harpoon turret deployment gun. Unlike Griffin, who has to aim his harpoon gun to slow down the team's quarry, Maggie can simply plant a battery of harpoon turrets, which will activate the moment a monster runs past them. Like Griffin, she also has a portable arena to box the monster in, but interestingly, her final asset is basically a fifth member to the Hunter team.

Maggie has a pet quad-pedal alien - okay, a giant dog called a trapjaw - named Daisy. Daisy is able to track the monster swiftly, meaning that players spend less time trying to seek out footprints left behind by their prey. Daisy is also able to revive downed team members, provided they still have a pulse.

While it may sound like the Hunters have the edge on Goliath with their collection of new toys, it's a testament to the work Turtle Beach have put into their game that every single battle could go either way. As was mentioned earlier, this depends largely on the skill and knowledge of the terrain.

It's not data you can process in one afternoon, which is why it was handy to have a couple of 2K representatives quarterbacking the action through headsets. As useful as their knowledge of the game was, their participation served to highlight two very important aspects of Evolve.

First, if you're in the Hunter pack, you really need to coordinate your efforts. As was the case in Left 4 Dead, teamwork is paramount and lone wolves are poison. Second, as the monster, you really are on your own and you will only succeed through a combination of resource management - knowing when and where to feed - biding your time before striking and a little bit of luck.

This is probably why a room filled with gaming hacks cheered when the player controlling Goliath managed to down his last pursuer with just two inches of health left. After a twenty odd minutes of brutal cat-and-mouse we all felt drained and the final denouement came as a heaven-sent release. I can only imagine how it felt for the players involved.

Trooping out of the event I heard several of my colleagues announcing that they'd take credit for that win as it would make a better narrative for their preview. I doubt many of them meant it. But in the interests of keeping us all honest, I can faithfully report that it was none other than Geoff Burrows, the Johannesburg-based deputy editor for South Africa's NAG Magazine who piloted Goliath on that epic win. Way to represent.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.twinfinite.net/2014/06/12...s-dlc-details/
    During the Evolve livestream that was run by the developers yesterday, Turtle Rock officially confirmed the number of monsters and hunters that will be coming to Evolve‘s launch this fall.

Answering questions in the Twitch chat, Turtle Rock confirmed that there will be 12 Hunters to choose from, to which one can infer that there will be three characters to choose from for each class. Also stated is that there will be there will be three monsters available at launch for the game with a fourth coming as the first DLC.

This DLC will not be available at launch, contrary to rumors, though it will be free to those who pre-order the game. Remember that the Xbox One edition of Evolve has a timed exclusivity deal on DLC.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I loved l4d versus, and evolve looks like it could be a ton of fun, but that kind of DLC nonsense makes me not want to go anywhere near it. Until there's a complete version released at least anyway.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Alpha sign-ups are live

http://evolvegame.com/alpha/ | Password: happyhunting
    Participants must: have a PC that can run the game, have a working Steam Account, be able to support a large coordinated user test on the game, and be located in mainland North America.

All prospective participants must be willing to adhere to a strict Game Demo Participant Agreement in this survey and not discuss or disclose anything about the test.

Each participant that is selected will be contacted with further information. We’re hoping to have the participant list confirmed by July 5th, so we appreciate you acting as quickly as possible.

Finally, please sign-up on the PC you plan on using for the test and provide details of your hardware setup in the survey.

GOOD LUCK!

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Amelia Diremii
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

God I cannot wait for this game.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trine Traverse
    FFXIV Server
    Odin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

It feels like we've been shown nothing but the stupid Kraken for months now.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

welp
    “Evolve™, a new intellectual property for next-gen consoles and PC developed by Turtle Rock Studios, the creators of the cooperative shooter classic, Left 4 Dead, won more than 50 editorial honors at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, including the coveted Game Critics Award top honor for Best of Show. The title is now planned to launch globally on February 10, 2015.”

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

open beta on xbone in January

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...und-halloween/
    Four-versus-one online shooter Evolve will host a 'Big Alpha' test starting at the end of the month.

The expanded test will begin on October 30 for Xbox One players and on October 31 for PC and PS4 players. Servers will remain online through November 2.

Customers who pre-ordered the game through Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Target or Walmart will receive guaranteed access to the alpha. Turtle Rock and 2K Games also plan to give away access codes through multiple channels between now and the start date.