+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CNN just now discovers that most athletes may not be getting good grades!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/nca...html?hpt=hp_t1

As a graduate student at UNC-Greensboro, Willingham researched the reading levels of 183 UNC-Chapel Hill athletes who played football or basketball from 2004 to 2012. She found that 60% read between fourth- and eighth-grade levels. Between 8% and 10% read below a third-grade level.
    Not like it matters, they wont' retain any of that information anyways with all the concussions!

Where's that infographic of educational institution salaries that shows athletic coaches earning absurd amounts more than anyone else.

Spoiler: show
    'merica

blax n gunz
    BG Level

http://i.minus.com/ibUKLbouwR4y1.jpg

High school sports need dismantling as well as the NCAA since they form the chain that leads to illiterate linebackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    [img]snipped[/img]

High school sports need dismantling as well as the NCAA since they form the chain that leads to illiterate linebackers.
    We've had the same problem for hundreds (thousands) of years. Even Socrates waxed philosophically about the fate of humanity so long as we worship physical ability over mental ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    We've had the same problem for hundreds (thousands) of years. Even Socrates waxed philosophically about the fate of humanity so long as we worship physical ability over mental ability.
    gotta link?

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    gotta link?
    Which Socrates are we talking about here? I went to look and the 1st link for "Socrates+sports" is about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B3crates

I'm getting the same problem as Meresgi. All my google-fu is contaminated by pro-sports (universities and other big-money institutions) and other sports-related irrelevant bullshit. I mostly remember it as a long discussion in my philosophy course in college. My friend took the same professor, and had a similar experience - the professor practically bragging to the class about how far we've come as a society because we no longer worship athletes as they did in ancient times, and those of us living in reality pointing out that we still do worship them, possibly even more than before.

It may not have been Socrates, specifically, but I recall it being in that era. There were only dozens of famous philosophers from that time, heh.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hvFKjPGEGf...atesface01.jpg
    that one, yea i couldn't find it either.

if you find it, i'd be interested.

Unfortunately, I can't see a spelling bee reeling in the funds of a high school football game. Other non-sports alternatives like car washes or bake sales only go so far and have their own up-front costs. :/

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    Unfortunately, I can't see a spelling bee reeling in the funds of a high school football game. Other non-sports alternatives like car washes or bake sales only go so far and have their own up-front costs. :/
    Wait, Public Schools are For Profit business's now?

Quote Originally Posted by Waraji View Post
    Wait, Public Schools are For Profit business's now?
    They always have been, that's why they are so shitty!

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    How much of the money that comes in from high school football gets put back into non-athletic programs at the school?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

How much of the money that comes in from high school football gets put back into non-athletic programs at the school?
    Does the coach's yacht count as non-athletic?

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    They always have been, that's why they are so shitty!
    the shittiest consequence is the schools protecting the all-star rapist/killer because they're protecting their monies.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

They need to reinvest it into their football program, so they can make more money for academic programs next year.

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Well it makes sense a nation of capitalist warmongers would pay those involved in physical activity more than those devoted to academia or collective learning.

Gotta keep the bread 'n circuses going. 'Murica!

Spoiler: show
    God bless it.... or else.

Tekki's Bitch
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    It may not have been Socrates
    It wasn't him, he was a fan of fitness and athleticism in general and was a pugilist/wrestler. He was of the opinion that people who were out of shape tended to be cowards in battle and having a higher chance of surrendering/fleeing.

BG Level

well, the historical Socrates has about as much veracity as the historical Jesus (the sources left to us are all biased members of the Socratic circle, and they write as artistic philosophers making artistically philosophical points, not as historians recording what was) but his school (and most classical philosophies) certainly revered physical as well as mental excellence. they saw the two as synergistic, not antagonistic, the mind/body dichotomy would come with later thinkers and has produced the modern schism we see.

Plato was the wrestler by the by, a very good one apparently he competed in what would be the equivalent of Olympic trials, and the name Plato is actually a nickname meaning 'broad-shouldered one', given to him by his wrestling coach.

BG Level

but yeah it's pretty God damn sad that 60% of our athletes are reading at a child's level when they are surrounded by the accumulated knowledge of the human race at institutions designed to dispense it

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

e-sports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast