1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 27 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 13 hours, 32 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 20 hours, 27 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Future of FATEs     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The problem with crafting mats from FATEs is that the mats obviously cannot be R/EX (because you would have to level a crafting job to 50 in order to be able to use them), therefore they have to be tradeable (and with the 2.1 change, also sellable). If these mats are for i90 gear, they would need to be rare enough to put them on a similar attainability timeframe as the rest of the i90 gear. So what's the difference between grinding WP for myth or grinding FATEs for not-myth to buy i90 mats?

Better to just add myth mats to Toll.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Why not just have FATEs give a unique currency outside of Company seals (And maybe have seals be gained through % of exp like XI or through dungeons to make up for FATEs no longer rewarding them). This currency can be used to buy FATE oriented gear, as well as a few Pieces of Green/Pink tier gear for Low/Mid/High ranges or gear, and maybe even some old XI throwbacks since a lot of FATE monsters are reminiscent of that.

Each FATE would give say, 10% of the exp earned just like Company seals do at current, and items would be broken down by level and point value, like say, level 1-30 gear could be broken up into 4 categories, Pink Tier Weapons/Head/Hands/Feet, Pink tier Body/Legs/Accessories, Green tier Unique items based on the FATEs of the level range, and Blue tier FATE gear (say White-level normally, but FATE bonuses giving it Blue tier quality while in FATEs only). This could also open up the beginning of more interesting armor options, perhaps the FATE only gear could offer benefits during FATEs like increasing the potency of heals you receive, or bonus damage to FATE enemies... but thats just my fantasy.

Regardless, some examples of the Unique green-tier items could simply be like Odin/Behemoth items... Items based on FATEs of the level range you're buying from. an example might be

FATE (By A Whisker)
    Ose Whisker
    (Lancer's Arm) - Level 34 (Item Level 36)
    P.Dmg:23 M.Dmg:20 Delay:2.8
    STR+9 VIT+8 DET+6 Critical Hit Rate +12

(FATE: Simurgh is The Word)
    Trotter's Boots
    (Item > Armor > Feet) Level 23
    DEF:13 M.def:25
    STR+3 DEX+3 VIT+2 DET+2
    (maybeevensomemovementspeed)

And even items from the FATE nms like Gorg and so forth. Multiple even maybe. But thats just my idea, adds a decent/alternative sustainable gearing system for leveling second/third/etc Jobs, adds a couple throw-back pieces of gear for XI veterens, and gives us some minuscule feeling of worthy overworld content.

Maybe to complicated for some people or just to farfetched, either way, would be nice if they added more FATE items like the Behemoth/Odin sets, especially for Iconic XI NMs/HNMs

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    The problem with crafting mats from FATEs is that the mats obviously cannot be R/EX (because you would have to level a crafting job to 50 in order to be able to use them), therefore they have to be tradeable (and with the 2.1 change, also sellable)
    I don't know if they changed if Behemoth Horns can be traded or not, but they already have things in the game that require you to use them, 4 of them even, to make something. In this case it's a superfluous piece of furniture, but either way, there you go.

I wouldn't mind them making it so I can use behemoth horns like items to make stuff that's actually useful.

Also, adding another "fuck Odin" into the mix. Every time I do him even if I'm there right from the start I only end up getting a silver every single fucking time. These fights are designed awfully.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tieffy Wieffy
    FFXIV Server
    Gungnir
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    Some of the folks I've come across in roulette at mid-lvls tells me ignorant players will always be ignorant.
    Bad players will always be bad.

I actually think the current FATE system isn't that bad. Yeah, wait, hear me out on this one. It provides a way to get newer players into the game easily, it's pretty decent XP, and it does provide something to do when going from point A to B (which I think was the point?)

However I agree they should be tweaked. How exactly I am not sure, but all this zerging has got to stop, and also I think making GC seals actually be worth something would be a step in the right direction.

Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tiernin View Post
    Bad players will always be bad.

Beat me to it. I almost rage quit every day due to how many bad players there are out there.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Why not just have FATEs give a unique currency outside of Company seals (And maybe have seals be gained through % of exp like XI or through dungeons to make up for FATEs no longer rewarding them). This currency can be used to buy FATE oriented gear, as well as a few Pieces of Green/Pink tier gear for Low/Mid/High ranges or gear, and maybe even some old XI throwbacks since a lot of FATE monsters are reminiscent of that.

Each FATE would give say, 10% of the exp earned just like Company seals do at current, and items would be broken down by level and point value, like say, level 1-30 gear could be broken up into 4 categories, Pink Tier Weapons/Head/Hands/Feet, Pink tier Body/Legs/Accessories, Green tier Unique items based on the FATEs of the level range, and Blue tier FATE gear (say White-level normally, but FATE bonuses giving it Blue tier quality while in FATEs only). This could also open up the beginning of more interesting armor options, perhaps the FATE only gear could offer benefits during FATEs like increasing the potency of heals you receive, or bonus damage to FATE enemies... but thats just my fantasy.

Regardless, some examples of the Unique green-tier items could simply be like Odin/Behemoth items... Items based on FATEs of the level range you're buying from. an example might be

FATE (By A Whisker)
    Ose Whisker
    (Lancer's Arm) - Level 34 (Item Level 36)
    P.Dmg:23 M.Dmg:20 Delay:2.8
    STR+9 VIT+8 DET+6 Critical Hit Rate +12

(FATE: Simurgh is The Word)
    Trotter's Boots
    (Item > Armor > Feet) Level 23
    DEF:13 M.def:25
    STR+3 DEX+3 VIT+2 DET+2
    (maybeevensomemovementspeed)

And even items from the FATE nms like Gorg and so forth. Multiple even maybe. But thats just my idea, adds a decent/alternative sustainable gearing system for leveling second/third/etc Jobs, adds a couple throw-back pieces of gear for XI veterens, and gives us some minuscule feeling of worthy overworld content.

Maybe to complicated for some people or just to farfetched, either way, would be nice if they added more FATE items like the Behemoth/Odin sets, especially for Iconic XI NMs/HNMs
    Quote Originally Posted by Berabouman View Post
    I actually think the current FATE system isn't that bad. Yeah, wait, hear me out on this one. It provides a way to get newer players into the game easily, it's pretty decent XP, and it does provide something to do when going from point A to B (which I think was the point?)

However I agree they should be tweaked. How exactly I am not sure, but all this zerging has got to stop, and also I think making GC seals actually be worth something would be a step in the right direction.
    Stuff like this is kind of what I was trying to get at. Hopefully they have something slated for FATE enhancement.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    The problem with crafting mats from FATEs is that the mats obviously cannot be R/EX (because you would have to level a crafting job to 50 in order to be able to use them), therefore they have to be tradeable (and with the 2.1 change, also sellable).
    I was addressing this via the token system. Tokens are R/Ex but when traded in it's the same as trading philos for mats. However the tokens are only available from the HNM Fates (so you can't farm WP for them and saturate the market).

If these mats are for i90 gear, they would need to be rare enough to put them on a similar attainability timeframe as the rest of the i90 gear. So what's the difference between grinding WP for myth or grinding FATEs for not-myth to buy i90 mats?

Better to just add myth mats to Toll.
    Once a day pops make it rare enough, not to mention if it is implemented similar to how current HNM Fates hand out rewards, you will gain the most benefit from Gold (this is a new thread on its own because the current system seems to cater to the party that tanks the most). 1 token from Bronze/Silver 5 from Gold. Requires 5 tokens for one raw material. Three(more?) raw materials make the refined crafting item used in the final synthesis for the gear. Having five HNM Fates pop a day could net a player one of these a day but they A)Have to get Gold and B)Have to camp. So again it's not feasible to spam these therefore making it a side-objective you can build up towards, whereas WP is easily spammable and can be done on your own time.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I do agree with most of comments regarding having fate just drop some r/ex items, or even tokens to trade in for crafting mats and what not. The only thing fate has taught anyone is that if you run into a big group and AoE everything you'll get a gold star.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indomitable Will
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Lyall View Post
    If the things you're talking about spawned every few hours, they would quickly become a prerequisite for the gear ladder if the drops were worth it or completely ignored if Darklight beat them. Then, after a few days, they too would be dead areas with no action going on. I see what you're getting at, but I don't think this would accomplish what you want it to.
    Wrong, I would do Odin right now, just for how cool the helmet looks, to the HNM naysayers, it's easy to do it in a way that 1. eliminates competition and 2. makes the mob claimed by a group...I personally really loved solo-duo-trio kills on NM's in FFXI, challenges like that were what made the game fun when it wasn't time for group runs (salvage, dynamis, etc, etc). This game currently has no content to do outside of the mainline, or very, very little (oh yay, CT...wait I already capped coil on this job, and you want me to play with 23 people and no voice chat????? no), granted it's in its infancy for the re-release, but still, it wouldn't be hard to throw in some fates that lvl 50 folks can actually participate in and have fun (which is what i play the game for...). Take behemoth and make it a weekly entry instance item for people, so you can do it at your leisure with friends, or leave it open world and make it actually load before 500 other random people and their pets and chocobos that you don't want to see, same with Odin...Add some Empyreal HNM/fates would be fun, White Raven, Black Wolf anyone?

Also add decent gil or item rewards for fates...at lvl50 why do i need 0 exp and like 1k gil for 10 minutes of work?

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Mobs do get priority load on FATEs now. I play on ps3 and had no issue golding it up, but I did upgrade my hdd to ssd. I did love doing HNMs in 11, the competition was nice and kinda just the thrill of it. The biggest issue I can see doing that in here is the servers. I did Odin maybe 2 pops ago and the whole zone crashed 3 times and Odin reset everytime. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if you could obtain gear that was actually useful? lol.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by OWS_Tonx View Post
    but I did upgrade my hdd to ssd.
    That's why. Priority is still all over the place on my 5400RPM drive on everything that isn't Behemoth/Odin which they just band-aided.

Only thing 2.1 changed was having aggro'd mobs show on your hate list immediately, rather than when the 3d model loads. Honestly means jackshit since it's a blank name until it's loaded, and you can't target it anyways for skill usage until the enemy is visible, because Japanese programmers.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indomitable Will
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by OWS_Tonx View Post
    Mobs do get priority load on FATEs now. I play on ps3 and had no issue golding it up, but I did upgrade my hdd to ssd. I did love doing HNMs in 11, the competition was nice and kinda just the thrill of it. The biggest issue I can see doing that in here is the servers. I did Odin maybe 2 pops ago and the whole zone crashed 3 times and Odin reset everytime. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if you could obtain gear that was actually useful? lol.
    yeah, I need to do this on my ps3...but yeah, I just want to be able to turn pets and non alliance pc's off completely during fates (honestly I never want to see someone elses pet, regardless of content), other than maybe the Monsters target (i.e. main tank)...why do I need to see them? what do i care about what pet you have out or what it's doing?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsu Kiyome
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

They definitely need to do something.

I'm currently leveling an Alt and realized right away because no one does FATEs anymore on my server, getting a Chocobo is like pulling teeth. I'm almost level 30 with no mount on this alt simply because the FATEs there are only give about 40 seals (of the 2000 I need) or the others I simply cannot clear solo.

I guess I don't really have a choice but Grand Company Leves I guess

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I started playing just after 2.1, and didn't have much trouble getting a chocobo. Sure, I had to do company leves, but those are super fast and my tags were accumulating anyways.

The hunting log also provides a good amount of gc seals, and it's easy to do those who you come across.

I understand that leveling the gc fast is now much harder, the people in my fc are surprised I'm not max rank yet, but getting enough for a chocobo and a few promotions is not hard.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Indomitable Will View Post
    Wrong, I would do Odin right now, just for how cool the helmet looks, to the HNM naysayers, it's easy to do it in a way that 1. eliminates competition and 2. makes the mob claimed by a group...I personally really loved solo-duo-trio kills on NM's in FFXI, challenges like that were what made the game fun when it wasn't time for group runs (salvage, dynamis, etc, etc). This game currently has no content to do outside of the mainline, or very, very little (oh yay, CT...wait I already capped coil on this job, and you want me to play with 23 people and no voice chat????? no), granted it's in its infancy for the re-release, but still, it wouldn't be hard to throw in some fates that lvl 50 folks can actually participate in and have fun (which is what i play the game for...). Take behemoth and make it a weekly entry instance item for people, so you can do it at your leisure with friends, or leave it open world and make it actually load before 500 other random people and their pets and chocobos that you don't want to see, same with Odin...Add some Empyreal HNM/fates would be fun, White Raven, Black Wolf anyone?

Also add decent gil or item rewards for fates...at lvl50 why do i need 0 exp and like 1k gil for 10 minutes of work?
    I should have specified I wasn't referring to vanity items. I think if FATEs are going to drop any gear, it should be for that reason, not for performance. And even then, this goes back to what I was saying about clearing the content then dropping it. Imagine if Odin becomes a once-weekly Hard Mode with vanity items. You would go at it for however many weeks it took to get your gear, and then...? Why continue? On a limited level, SE tried doing something similar with the gearsets from the story dungeons at low levels: You'd get people grinding them until they completed Foestrikers or something and then never flagging again, which led to people working on storylines being stranded in DF.

I agree there should be some sort of activity with worthwhile compensation from FATEs but I don't know if SE would find anything "balanced" to implement.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsu Kiyome
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Taim Meich View Post
    I started playing just after 2.1, and didn't have much trouble getting a chocobo. Sure, I had to do company leves, but those are super fast and my tags were accumulating anyways.

The hunting log also provides a good amount of gc seals, and it's easy to do those who you come across.

I understand that leveling the gc fast is now much harder, the people in my fc are surprised I'm not max rank yet, but getting enough for a chocobo and a few promotions is not hard.
    Right but when you start a fresh Character on Tuesday and you're trying to get it to 50 by the weekend, you don't have time to slow down for that! I wanna go fast and intended on just fighting every FATE I ran across... only to find out "Hey you can't do that anymore."

When Quarrymill and Costa Del Sol have ZERO FATE parties, there is a problem with the system I feel.

Definitely a disappointment

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I can't speak to the efficacy of dungeons at the middle levels, but after giving up on Northern Thanalan FATEs in the 47-50 stretch for MNK, I hopped into a few Darkholds and Vales only to realize that I was getting an entire FATE's worth of EXP in 3-4 mobs. DPS queues still aren't as speedy as healer and tank queues, but I can't imagine leveling is much(if at all) slower than pre-patch FATE grinding

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

And as a DPS you can generally solo single mobs in FATEs while waiting to Que up for a dungeon (or just join an AV Party Finder)

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Indomitable Will View Post
    This game currently has no content to do outside of the mainline, or very, very little (oh yay, CT...wait I already capped coil on this job, and you want me to play with 23 people and no voice chat????? no), granted it's in its infancy for the re-release, but still, it wouldn't be hard to throw in some fates that lvl 50 folks can actually participate in and have fun (which is what i play the game for...).
    If you've already capped out on coil, there's not going to be much for you to do (unless you like collecting inferior gear). What's left when you already have the best gear in the game?