BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FFXI in korea     submit to reddit submit to twitter

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FFXI in korea

Has anyone had any problems play FFXI from Korea? I'm in my square enix account, trying to re-activate one of my account's and i'm getting the "error 401" when trying to process the creditcard info.

US debit/credit card, currently living in South Korea.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

honestly, never mind... this hassle was enough to remind me of why i stopped playing their online games... can delete thread if needs be.

I know you already gave up, but this has nothing to do with Korea specifically, this is something that happens not just with SE but with services like steam- they don't let you use cards on websites outside of the US (at least, not in Asia). You have to use a VPN to get a US IP before anything will go through.

Also SE locks your account down if you try it continuously, so if it doesn't work even when you do that you have to wait for a bit.

Blue Magic is Best Magic
    BG Level

Don't give up!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

You can use a browser plugin like Hola to make it read you as in the US while running the payment page. SquareEnix Account Management has instated a bunch of region checks on IP and card that make it hard to play this game internationally.

MaachaQ

I actually began playing again a little over a month ago and I'm in Korea. I no longer need a VPN at home (U+) or at work (olleh) to log on. When I was entering payment info I had to use Internet Explorer, because something about Firefox and Chrome (maybe NoScript or AdBlock, though I had told those to allow everything on the SE website) did not allow the payment to be processed. I was even able to use my Korean JCB card instead of my old US based Visa, which means I don't have to worry about transferring money back to the states to cover monthly charges anymore.

Funny story... When I was reactivating, I purchased a copy of the SoA Ultimate Collection and 2 copies of the expansion standalone, so that I could add them to all 3 accounts. They were on sale at the time on the SE store, and when after over an hour passed and I hadn't received the codes I thought that it hadn't gone through, so I ordered again... A couple hours later I got 2 emails, 2 sets of 3 codes each... Still not sure what to do with the extra codes, I'll probably try to sell them to someone eventually, but just holding onto them for now as a token of my impatience.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Welp, i've tried using IExplorer and chrome, tried using my credit card to a)pay them directly b)buy crysta with credit card c)buy crysta with paypal d) the above 3 options with and without a VPN to USA

I keep getting the Error 401. ultimate pay straight charges it, then immedietly returns it to my pay pal... I have no clue wtf is up.

I read a few places they freeze your account if they suspect foul play but i litterly waited 10ish hours today... ?? any suggestions? or what

p.s. Maacha Viq told me about your kitty cafe. I'mma come see you ^^ (went to a puppy cafe 2 weekends ago, was ... o.k. sorta smelled to be honest)

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

The payment processor is comparing your billing address/current location and determining you're too far away from your billing address. There's also a 30 or 90 day lockout triggered after you fail (3?) times, so nothing you do with the CC is going to work anymore even if it might have worked at one point.

Buy Ultimate Game Cards or whatever and use those to buy Crysta.

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

can't find a place to buy em byrth Tried pcgamesupply.com and order got canceled... tried Walmart.com and order got canceled

It's pretty god damn shitty.... it always has been, but still.... fucking ridiculous..

I tried updating my address on my SE account LOL, they don't have any provisions for military style APO/AP addresses. So fucking pathetic

and the traveler
    BG Level

Get SoftEtherVPN @ http://www.softether.org/ , connect to US IP address, buy crysta, problem solved. Yes you have to buy crysta for this to work properly!

MaachaQ

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    Welp, i've tried using IExplorer and chrome, tried using my credit card to a)pay them directly b)buy crysta with credit card c)buy crysta with paypal d) the above 3 options with and without a VPN to USA

I keep getting the Error 401. ultimate pay straight charges it, then immedietly returns it to my pay pal... I have no clue wtf is up.

I read a few places they freeze your account if they suspect foul play but i litterly waited 10ish hours today... ?? any suggestions? or what

p.s. Maacha Viq told me about your kitty cafe. I'mma come see you ^^ (went to a puppy cafe 2 weekends ago, was ... o.k. sorta smelled to be honest)
    I wonder why you had so many problems... My husband and I got our accounts going again a bit over a month ago with fairly little trouble. The address on my SE account is still my old US address (which is my parents home address and my legal US residence), but the credit card I used to pay SE directly was a JCB card from a Korean bank with a Korean billing address. I was quite surprised I no longer needed the VPN to do the billing or to log in to the game anymore as well, everything is so much faster without it ^^;

Our cat cafe is still pretty slow, we've only been open for 5 months and have to do more advertising so people know we're there. Our kitties are all alot more friendly than other cat cafe cats though, so I think once more people find us we should do quite well. We've also got a ceiling ventilation system and a rather large air filter in the cat room, so hopefully our place wouldn't be as smelly as the dog cafe (or other cat cafes) ^^;

I wasn't playing FFXI at the time, but when we were getting ready to open our cafe I commissioned an artist to make a picture of my character having a drink in a cat cafe; the print now hangs on our wall ^^.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

i know this is an old thread but i thought i'd follow up. i get the same issue when i try to go on playonline.com but works fine with a vpn. i have olleh/kt, which confirms the stuff that was discussed in another thread, that KT is blocked by SE.

so they also said LG works fine. any other confirmed ok-working ISPs in Korea? what about SK Telecom? this new apartment i'm about to move into uses a local ISP called Tbroadnet. no idea if it works or not. but i can get a different ISP if i want, will just be a little pricier.

Just a suggestion, would Pingzapper helps to cover your ISP from Korea?
    It's a plugins to PC that allowed your to connect via their channel, and reduced your ping /ms also.

MaachaQ

We've got olleh KT TV and internet here at our Cafe and LG U+ at home and both are able to log into SE accounts and FFXI without a VPN. I haven't tried logging in on any other ISPs since these are really the only 2 places that I ever play. No problems in the 4 months I've been back, except that I forgot to change my credit card after the whole hacking scandal a few months ago and our accounts got cancelled for a few hours until I put the new card info in ^^;

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

really olleh/kt worked for you? consensus on the internet was that kt is no go, and didn't work for me either... hmm i wonder what the variable is. ah well i think i'll probably go with skt in my new place, hopefully that'll work alright. i'm kinda sick of using a vpn.

MaachaQ

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    really olleh/kt worked for you? consensus on the internet was that kt is no go, and didn't work for me either... hmm i wonder what the variable is. ah well i think i'll probably go with skt in my new place, hopefully that'll work alright. i'm kinda sick of using a vpn.
    Maybe because I'm outside of Seoul? I'm not sure. I was surprised as well, because we had olleh KT back in Seoul back when the IP block first went into effect (2008? I think), and had needed a VPN back then. I just assumed after we got it here at work that the block might have been lifted (it was the cheapest option for our business and it can also be linked to my cellphone for a cheaper overall bill). At home we have the full U+ package, phone, internet, and TV, and as far as I can remember the LG service has almost always worked without VPN for the game.

Proof Spoiler for kinda big
    Spoiler: show

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Hmmm yeah maybe that's it. I know that when I use my cell phone as an Internet hot spot, I can get playonline to launch with no problem. Hopefully that's a good sign as sk telecom is likely the company I'll be going with for Internet and TV. Don't suppose you've heard anything about those guys or tried them or anything?