1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 6 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 17 hours, 44 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 23 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 10 hours, 44 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Have bad lag? Try this.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Piece of shit Bruins fan

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Beat Daisukenojo
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Isn't there a way to blacklist (for lack of the appropriate term) a route? For instance, shouldn't it be possible for me to tell my network connection to not use that montreal.level3 one that is giving us issues? Swear I read that somewhere once.
    Nope.

Think about it like this - you're mailing a package to Montreal via DHL. Once you hand it off to the DHL guy, you don't get to tell him not to go spend an hour at Dairy Queen jerking off in the bathroom before he delivers your package. They pick the routes and they determine the timing.

The only control you have over this is by changing who your ISP is, or where you live. Once it leaves your house, you're at the mercy of your ISP. Technically speaking they could fuck up your VPN/BattlePing connection just as badly if they were stupid or malicious enough.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

http://puu.sh/6rdH7/fd1fdb8e16.png

30 mins of MTR. gg

I can't believe this isn't fucking fixed a month after a fucking patch. I can't figure out if SE is just being lazy about getting it fixed, or they're seriously just fucking oblivious and ignorant to the problem.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    30 mins of MTR. gg

I can't believe this isn't fucking fixed a month after a fucking patch. I can't figure out if SE is just being lazy about getting it fixed, or they're seriously just fucking oblivious and ignorant to the problem.
    Here's hoping it gets addressed in tonight's maintenance.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
    Here's hoping it gets addressed in tonight's maintenance.
    I've been hoping that every time they've done a maintenance since 2.1 screwed everything up for me.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    I've been hoping that every time they've done a maintenance since 2.1 screwed everything up for me.
    Seems like that horrible lag I was experiencing during peak times has subsided. Has anyone else gotten the same results since this maintenance?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Switched over to FioS today, and this is what WTFast is telling me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psaa8675e6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps5c4dfebe.jpg

Yeah, I think it's worth it...

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
    Seems like that horrible lag I was experiencing during peak times has subsided. Has anyone else gotten the same results since this maintenance?
    been getting 90ked all fucking day. ping iws under 10 no spikes, its their servers 100% so nope.

A maintenance won't fix it because it isn't a problem with their servers, the fact that wtffast/battleping/etc works only proves it. If they had bad servers everyone would have issues.

SE can't be held responsible for every bad link on the Internet.

We don't even have enough information at our disposal to know which link is actually bad and pinging internet routers produces useless results so don't even bother with that lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by lilbubbles View Post
    A maintenance won't fix it because it isn't a problem with their servers, the fact that wtffast/battleping/etc works only proves it. If they had bad servers everyone would have issues.

SE can't be held responsible for every bad link on the Internet.

We don't even have enough information at our disposal to know which link is actually bad and pinging internet routers produces useless results so don't even bother with that lol.
    We have enough information to alert our ISPs and SquareEnix to that fact that their is a problem, and these companies should be working to resolve the issue. We may not be able to hold SquareEnix accountable for their issue, but certainly for their response (and lack of) to the problem.

I'm fairly certain that everyone here is aware that it is a routing issue and not a server issue. It is certainly possible that Level3 started having issues the day of the patch and that nothing SquareEnix did had any impact on that.

I find it quite intriguing, however, that the patch that brings changes to their data center structure happens at the same time a large number of people start getting routed through a network that apparently can't handle it a bit suspect (that is, without one I don't believe the other would have occurred). Still, I understand how the internet works, so I know that SquareEnix has no way to say "hey packets, stop that".

The real problem I have is that it has now been a month and SquareEnix, Verizon, Level3 (and any other group) hasn't appeared to do anything about it. I can call up Verizon and tell then that I'm experiencing extreme packet loss on certain routes (I have), but they're only going to lean a little for me, an individual.

SquareEnix needs to lean on these companies for us, because the network problem makes their game unplayable and they have more information about the issue than we do. Work with the providers to find out why the issue is occurring and get Level3 to fix it.

Having a completely unplayable lagfest doesn't reflect well on SquareEnix, even if it isn't their fault.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post
    We have enough information to alert our ISPs and SquareEnix to that fact that their is a problem, and these companies should be working to resolve the issue. We may not be able to hold SquareEnix accountable for their issue, but certainly for their response (and lack of) to the problem.

I'm fairly certain that everyone here is aware that it is a routing issue and not a server issue. It is certainly possible that Level3 started having issues the day of the patch and that nothing SquareEnix did had any impact on that.

I find it quite intriguing, however, that the patch that brings changes to their data center structure happens at the same time a large number of people start getting routed through a network that apparently can't handle it a bit suspect (that is, without one I don't believe the other would have occurred). Still, I understand how the internet works, so I know that SquareEnix has no way to say "hey packets, stop that".
    From what I understand part of this is SE's own doing by how they send their packets. I guess most mmos have their data done a certain way so they don't get flagged for p2p throttling, but SE doesn't do that. It would make sense considering the update might have added some kind of data going back n' forth that ended up showing a red flag to Level 3, that wasn't there before.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    From what I understand part of this is SE's own doing by how they send their packets. I guess most mmos have their data done a certain way so they don't get flagged for p2p throttling, but SE doesn't do that. It would make sense considering the update might have added some kind of data going back n' forth that ended up showing a red flag to Level 3, that wasn't there before.
    I haven't looked at the packets since beta, but it is possible that with a change they made to the packets themselves or the fact that they increased the number being sent caused an issue with Level3.

I read that post on the official forums (if that's what you're referring to) where as Verizon technician blamed the way the packets are sent, but given my experience with support technicians, I'm not sure how much stock to put in it.

In any case, I would like to see some communication that they are working with the companies involved to resolve the issue. We're all paying for this, and I can't see much of a reason to keep myself subscribed if they're not working towards a fix. I'm certainly not paying additional money on top of the cost of my internet and subscription fee just to be able to play a game.

Verizon is so full of shit.

There isn't a wrong way to send a packet that will only trigger a problem on only one router on the entire Internet.

If Verizon is throttling ff14 because it thinks it is bittorrent or some shit, Verizon is so in the wrong it isn't funny.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Verizon is so full of shit.

There isn't a wrong way to send a packet that will only trigger a problem on only one router on the entire Internet.

If Verizon is throttling ff14 because it thinks it is bittorrent or some shit, Verizon is so in the wrong it isn't funny.
    The issue isn't happening in Verizon's network. It is happening in Level3's network. The technician was attempting to explain to someone why only FFXIV seemed to be having a problem.

I don't know if it is only traffic for FFXIV or if that is just the only traffic that causes the issue that goes through that portion of the network (or meets some other criteria).

You can't say the issue isn't happening in Verizon's network. As an end user you literately have no way to tell the difference.

What's funny is, if Verizon was tagging ff14 as p2p then vpns/wtffast/battleping/etc would be a way around it since the traffic would be encapsulated leaving their network.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

You can't say the issue isn't happening in Verizon's network. As an end user you literately have no way to tell the difference.
    wat?

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

You can trace your ping to see where you're getting hung up at and it is in Montreal, right before it reaches SE's NA XIV server.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Akirra Krylon
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Did the trial of WTFast and it seemed to help at first but then I was still getting the random stop-and-go spikes in Garuda/Titan EX.

Oddly enough, I decided to plug the ethernet directly into the PC instead of going wireless and NOT run WTFast and it seems to have helped a lot. Haven't tried hardwired + WTFast but maybe thats the best option.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

It isn't just level 3, too. That's just the most recent one. The fact this is happening everywhere says it can't just be the isps, something must be causing them to get either overloaded or throttled or w/e.

What's funny is, if Verizon was tagging ff14 as p2p then vpns/wtffast/battleping/etc would be a way around it since the traffic would be encapsulated leaving their network.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Serenseven Dertavernen
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by AkirraKrylon View Post
    Did the trial of WTFast and it seemed to help at first but then I was still getting the random stop-and-go spikes in Garuda/Titan EX.

Oddly enough, I decided to plug the ethernet directly into the PC instead of going wireless and NOT run WTFast and it seems to have helped a lot. Haven't tried hardwired + WTFast but maybe thats the best option.
    Make sure to play with changing the WTFast server you use before you give up on it. Different servers yield different results. The server with lowest ping is not always the most stable server.

Also, if your computer is not top-notch and you get slowdown only on Garuda X and Titan X and not anywhere else, try lowering your graphic settings, particularly anything to do with particle effects. Whirlwinds and plumes have lots of particles and have been reported to lead to severe framerate issues for some players.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    It isn't just level 3, too. That's just the most recent one. The fact this is happening everywhere says it can't just be the isps, something must be causing them to get either overloaded or throttled or w/e.
    It's definitely not happening everywhere. If you use Comcast or RCN in Boston, you are fine. If you use Verizon FiOS in a suburb, you get the issues. Something is definitely specifically not right with the routes (or traffic shaping, potentially) occurring with some ISPs like TimeWarner and Verizon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast