1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 59 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 0 minutes
    Last weekly reset was -4 hours, -1 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 6 days, 13 hours, 0 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Have bad lag? Try this.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Have bad lag? Try this.

On the FIOS topic, I decided to try WTFast today, cause I had some trouble in some fights.

Huge difference, but not sure I'm willing to pay 10$ a month just to play the game right. The Montreal.level3 thing really needs to be addressed.

Yugl Edit:

http://www.wtfast.com/

Setup process:

Spoiler: show

1: Setup the exe and laucher:

2: Click "Sort by Ping" and select the top most server

The Real Cookiemonster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dark Depravity
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    On the FIOS topic, I decided to try WTFast today, cause I had some trouble in some fights.

Huge difference, but not sure I'm willing to pay 10$ a month just to play the game right. The Montreal.level3 thing really needs to be addressed.

I've been considering trying this, I'll still suck at dodging, but at least I'll have one excuse less. Does this work like a VPN service, taking all traffic, or does it just hog the game specific data and tunnel it? the explanations I found on the site didn't quite detail it enough.

edit: mandatory complaint, #"¤ lag!

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    I've been considering trying this, I'll still suck at dodging, but at least I'll have one excuse less. Does this work like a VPN service, taking all traffic, or does it just hog the game specific data and tunnel it? the explanations I found on the site didn't quite detail it enough.

Shameless plug, kinda, but I use pingzapper for a VPN and it's $10 for three months or $4 a month. Sadly, their trial period is only like an hour, but you can easily tell just by queueing for a titan hm to see if it works or not.

Feel free to refer me if you do like it! http://pingzapper.com/ref/ambivelens

(there's the plug XD)

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post

It only handles the game specific traffic. You actually have to launch the game using WTFast, it was strange for me to figure out the first time, but it saved the configuration and is a 10 second addition to the log-in process.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

New thread. This discussion is above the shitty random complaint thread.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Added my post from the RCT that was related to the topic.

Pinzapper is much cheaper, refer me!

I play in Asia so I'm wondering if there's anybody else around here (or any Aussies) that can say if this has helped them out? My connection usually isn't bad enough that it affects my play if I preemptively dodge enough (to and back I ping something like 250 ms), so I might try it out just to see how much it helps.

It really annoys me that I have to actually download and potentially pay for something like this when I don't have anything close to this sort of problem with other games though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    It really annoys me that I have to actually download and potentially pay for something like this when I don't have anything close to this sort of problem with other games though.
    Welcome to basically everyone, sad to say. (Which makes me laugh at how many white knights insist it's our hardware.) But as a note: I think pretty much all VPNs give a trial period. D/L, trial it, and queue for a titan HM to get an idea if it works. I have seen a lot of Aussie people use Battleping, so you might want to try that one first.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

As I noted in the complaints thread, WTFast made a huge difference for me with FIOS. They definitely fucked something up post 2.1 because these latency issues only started happening for me after one of the late December hotfixes.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I'm sure WoW peeps already use this but just in case you havent already.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Hmm, I don't really have internet lag (mostly just 'really shitty pc that can't load the custom particle effects on titan' frame lag) but I was going to try this out just for giggles. It won't launch the game, the play button is still greyed out. Just to check, I had it launch a few other games, and they all seemed to launch and connect just fine. What gives?

Windows 8.0 (not my computer, just a loaner until my real one gets fixed), if that matters at all.

Edit: Aaaaand, what the hell. Switching back and forth between testing other games and seeing if XIV works, it just all of a sudden lit up. No idea what it was doing before, but it seems to be staying on now.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Make sure you set the game exe and the launcher. I think the exe is within the game folder and the launcher is within the boot folder (For launcher, you use ffxiboot I believe). Remember to sort by ping to display the best route. Run wtfast as admin if that does shit.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    I'm sure WoW peeps already use this but just in case you havent already.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html
    As a semi warning. I tried this initially and it caused constant crashes to my computer. Had to reverse everything.

But I seem to have shitty luck with my computer so this could mean nothing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I play in Asia so I'm wondering if there's anybody else around here (or any Aussies) that can say if this has helped them out? My connection usually isn't bad enough that it affects my play if I preemptively dodge enough (to and back I ping something like 250 ms), so I might try it out just to see how much it helps.
    Yep, WTFast has helped me heaps. 240ms ping down to 150, and way less rubber banding. I live in Perth and go through the Singapore 3 server to hit the game servers in Tokyo, took me a little while to find the best route, but SG3 is working well.

I actually forgot to turn it on the other night and went into Titan HM and found myself having to pre-empt plumes rather than just being able to run out of them. Logged out and fired up WTFast and was able to play like a normal person, the difference is quite noticeable.

Should be able to prove conclusively with the trial version whether it'll help or not. I'm not sure I even need premium, but I paid for a month of it anyway.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lady Chance
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I live n Hk myself and play on NA datacenter (Midgarsorm). I ping ~260ish w/o WTFast and 230~235 with it (that's what their software reports). That being said, pre-2.1 I still had to anticipate Titan HM plumes or I'd get hit.

Some notes:
    - I couldn't find a way to really measure the improvement other than their figures (because it changes the route only for the game process and not sure if it's possible to test or not).
    - Also, from my office, I ping the datacenter at slightly more than 100ms for almost the same route as from my home (w/o WTFast) >,<. Super frustrating, because my provider could do better and WTFast as well ( hence why i tried to analyze their route).
    - I use their Boston (BC2) server
    - Customer support looks pretty limited.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Aylin Celesse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir
    WoW Realm
    Hellscream

FiOS customer here, and after being fed up I tried out BattlePing (it's cheap ).

Yeah, wow. Wish I'd known about this awhile ago.

Aside, I got into a back and forth with a Verizon Customer service guy on twitter last night. Was trying to explain the issue to him, and he's all "well, how are your other internet-using programs working?" to which I replied fine, no issues with anything other than FFXIV.

"Glad to hear that the service is working correctly, Bardlet. Feel free to follow and DM us if you have any questions.^JJG" So completely unhelpful.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shen Anigans
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post
    Yep, WTFast has helped me heaps. 240ms ping down to 150, and way less rubber banding. I live in Perth and go through the Singapore 3 server to hit the game servers in Tokyo, took me a little while to find the best route, but SG3 is working well.

I actually forgot to turn it on the other night and went into Titan HM and found myself having to pre-empt plumes rather than just being able to run out of them. Logged out and fired up WTFast and was able to play like a normal person, the difference is quite noticeable.

Should be able to prove conclusively with the trial version whether it'll help or not. I'm not sure I even need premium, but I paid for a month of it anyway.
    I also live in Perth and route through Singapore 3 on WTFast. Got me from 180ish down to 120 but I am also on fibre. This is to the Japanese data centre though (Im on Tonberry). You will probably want to routhe through a different server if you're playing on NA. However, with WTFast you can sort the servers by best ping order.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    As a semi warning. I tried this initially and it caused constant crashes to my computer. Had to reverse everything.

But I seem to have shitty luck with my computer so this could mean nothing.
    Well generally if you do not know anything about computers it is very very bad to use Leatrix. It fucks with network settings you really don't want to be messing with if you don't know what you're doing. Most of the time leatrix is purely placebo effect anyways and is probably worse to use on a low bandwith connection than whatever a person had before. Using a VPN like the OP is a much safer and easier solution to the lag problems created by whatever the fuck SE is doing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Melchior Ballester
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

There's no shame in using VPN to fix the latency issues, I'm using battleping myself and the difference is quite noticeable.
    I still have to anticipate plumes on titan HM or on Ultima HM but it's mostly due to bad fps (9 or below fps in those fights) cause I have a bad pc. At least I don't get hit by landslides after being out of the lighted floor for 1 sec.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I've noticed a bit of a theme here with FiOS being mentioned. Is there a problem with FiOS and FFXIV in general, or is it more of a geographical issue?

Without WTFast, my ping is usually around 55-65ms, and with WTFast, it's usually around 25-35. I'm getting the 55-60 numbers from manually pinging the servers through command prompt, and the 25-35 from the WTFast client.

I'm in Boston, so I'm relatively close to the NA servers in Montreal.

I'm currently on Comcast, but was planning to switch to FiOS because they're offering a much better deal ($89/mo, vs the $150ish Comcast is charging me).

Additionally, I'm having some reporting issues with WTFast...

Upon connecting, I'll get a brief, but incomplete look at the improvement. This image says I am getting a 33% performance boost from WTFast. The image below shows what reports about 3-5min after connecting to the game.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps0d637800.jpg

But soon after, I'll lose the ability to see my performance increase, and will never be able to see any of the statistics for "Internet". The first image will last for about 30 seconds, but then it will permanently switch to the below image.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps871a1e48.jpg

WTFast customer service seemed stumped on it, but noted they'd make changes in a future release based on the Diagnose log I sent them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast