+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Wow another amazing episode.

I know some of the lore, or whatever you want to call it, that the show is using is from an existing story. The Yellow King or whatever. Can someone familiar with it expand on the story of the yellow king and how it applies to True Dick? Like the black stars? in the final scene as the camera zoomed out there were black stars all over the glass.

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I'm reading the series of short stories myself now but this is a decent primer, at least.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Godamn it I need the reveal, I need resolution!

This could be the greatest tv show I've ever seen...

They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

This.....the last 5 mins was hard for me to fully enjoy because I kept looking at the time and thinking FUCK I need another hour of this show and things explained! Man what an amazing show.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Had a viewing party with my boys for last night's episode. Lots of interesting theories. This show is insanely good, not just for plot but for how good McConaughey and Harrelson are, and how well it's shot.

Speculation:

Spoiler: show
    Seeing Cohle in the photos near the crime scene in 2012 makes me pretty sure he's gone off the grid since the interrogation in 2002 in order to track down the Yellow King and the Tuttle connection without the authorities knowing about it. Of course it also makes him a suspect. But I'm guessing he's been in contact with Marty pretty regularly and their "falling out" was a convenient excuse for them to create distance between them, Cohle investigating on his own and Marty supplying police reports and other official information whenever needed.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    Had a viewing party with my boys for last night's episode. Lots of interesting theories. This show is insanely good, not just for plot but for how good McConaughey and Harrelson are, and how well it's shot.

Speculation:

Seeing Cohle in the photos near the crime scene in 2012 makes me pretty sure he's gone off the grid since the interrogation in 2002 in order to track down the Yellow King and the Tuttle connection without the authorities knowing about it. Of course it also makes him a suspect. But I'm guessing he's been in contact with Marty pretty regularly and their "falling out" was a convenient excuse for them to create distance between them, Cohle investigating on his own and Marty supplying police reports and other official information whenever needed.
    Another addition to that theory is the drug store robber saying "big people, powerful people" and Cohle knows someone in the Dept. is with the cult. Remember the task force, and even Cohle saying at the crime scene about someone knowing what they did here or how to set up a crime scene. I'm with the whole Cohle going deep and the fight with Marty is staged. I think at the end of Cohle's interview he was daring the "big, powerful men" to come after him. Marty and Cohle are casing the other detectives just as much as they're being cased. That's the main theory I'm picking up on here and sounds rock solid to me.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I'm reading the series of short stories myself now but this is a decent primer, at least.
    That's some good stuff. I'd caught some of the references (Yellow King and Carcossa), but had missed far more than I had caught. I'm really curious where these last three episodes are taking us now.

http://io9.com/true-detective-takes-...-me-1524756707

A comment here talks about how the show is breaking the 4th wall.

I duno what to think anymore

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Anyone else think Hart's oldest daughter is caught up in the cult, possibly since she was a child? Hart has mentioned not noticing what's under your nose.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Takiwaki View Post
    http://io9.com/true-detective-takes-...-me-1524756707

A comment here talks about how the show is breaking the 4th wall.

I duno what to think anymore
    I just read the Daily Beast article that commenter is referencing:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...isode-yet.html

I see what they're saying about an added dimension, and the relationship of a circle and a sphere. Whether or not it's just Cohle as the philosophical type, or an absolute truth of the True Detective universe and Cohle being aware of existing in a piece of fiction, I guess it's up to the viewer. I would tend to believe the former since he's a very unreliable narrator, the last two episodes he's just plain lied to the investigators (and, if the 4th wall theory were true, to the all-knowing viewers he realizes he's talking to) but it's something the creator is obviously doing intentionally.

What I don't buy from the io9 article's comments is the referencing of a DVD as the flat circle, when the show isn't even on DVD. That seems just way too literal and misses the point. Or maybe I'm missing the point.

Quote Originally Posted by grantlogan View Post
    Anyone else think Hart's oldest daughter is caught up in the cult, possibly since she was a child? Hart has mentioned not noticing what's under your nose.
    For a while I thought she'd be the victim of the 2012 crime, and I now wonder if those sex drawings she did in school were really because the other girls dared her to do it. But yeah I think she's definitely going to be involved somehow.

Fucking hell, this show is really good.

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Shit I didn't even think about harts daughter. That would suuuuuuck

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

is it Sunday yet?

a p. sweet dude
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I just rewatched the episode. Kind of amusing that the last shot of the episode is through a window frame. Like Cohle is being framed for the killings. It's also great that Cohle busts out that quote from Ledoux but simply says "a man once told me," to keep with their cover story.

Really interested in what led up to/caused the rift between Cohle and Hart. Needs to be Sunday now.

Edit: Or, indeed, if there is any split between them in the first place. It's already been made obvious that they're pretty good at fabricating stories to suit their interests. How sweet would it be if they're playing good cop/bad cop on the two investigating Cohle? I mean, Rust doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to be caught repeatedly at the scene of a crime unintentionally. We know he knows police procedure (it's spelled out for us in the first episode; cordon off scene, take down plates of people coming and going). Why renew your plates out of the blue?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Hellscream

One of the most promising shows I've seen.
    Really has potential to be incredible.

I'm totally hooked.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zane Farus
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I watched this immediately after The Walking Dead on Sunday. The same actress who plays Lizzie in TWD played the 2002 version of the younger daughter. Threw me for a loop. The simple fact that she does creepy very well on TWD makes me wonder if she has a larger role to play from here on out.

I'm both frustrated and excited by the fact there's only three episodes left. They're not going to extend it or drag it out, but there's only three episodes left....

The Anti Miz

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by samalis View Post
    lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video