+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

EU takes a dump on others. Net neutrality is law: no roaming charges

http://bgr.com/2014/01/14/net-neutrality-court-ruling/

http://gigaom.com/2014/01/14/breakin...trality-rules/

In its ruling against the FCC’s rules, the court said that such restrictions are not needed in part because consumers have a choice in which ISP they use.
    Enjoying that Netflix? Too bad it's now at .00001kbps!

Oh and this gem:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bretswan...verizon-v-fcc/

It’s a good question, and if cable were a widespread broadband monopoly, it could affect the analysis. But that’s not the case. Sounds like you may be one of the very few Americans who don’t have other options.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

It's ok because Google has entered the network competition. So many options! Like Comcast, or Comcast, or Time Warner, or Comcast.

Spoiler: show
    lolAT&T

Ninja Ninja
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Noemi Rondain
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'd love some Google Fiber despite trusting the company less and less each month. Verizon FIOS is good internet but a bad provider.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

This is fucking terrible.

I'm sure Google and Netflix will fight back depending on how it shapes up, since their business kind of revolves around this and they arn't going to want to fucking pay ISPs for the "privilege" of being unblocked or w/e.

It's ok because Google has entered the network competition. So many options! Like Comcast, or Comcast, or Time Warner, or Comcast.
    At least you have 2! Where i'm from it was Time Warner or GTFO.inc

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Restrictions aren't needed because consumers can choose between a douche and a turd.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

They should have held some sort of hearing before all of this so that they could legally declare AT&T as not a real ISP, that would have probably helped clear up the 'competition' aspect.

Eli Manning is my Lord and Savior
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Greymane

AT&T isnt much better as a cellphone provider, what do they even do anymore.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    I'm sure Google and Netflix will fight back depending on how it shapes up, since their business kind of revolves around this and they arn't going to want to fucking pay ISPs for the "privilege" of being unblocked or w/e.

At least you have 2! Where i'm from it was Time Warner or GTFO.inc
    I'm sure they will, if the cable companies do that, they're basically siphoning profits from other companies. It's basically stating you need to pay them to use a separate, unrelated service, and it's making a profit from other people's work. While not technically illegal I suppose since they don't actually steal any of their intellectual property - it's more like taking an entrance fee to enter a shopping mall - I can see a lot of companies fighting back.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post

Spoiler: show
    lolAT&T
    and Cox

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Uzor View Post
    I'm sure they will, if the cable companies do that, they're basically siphoning profits from other companies. It's basically stating you need to pay them to use a separate, unrelated service, and it's making a profit from other people's work. While not technically illegal I suppose since they don't actually steal any of their intellectual property - it's more like taking an entrance fee to enter a shopping mall - I can see a lot of companies fighting back.
    The thing is that they wouldn't mind VoD services to take a walk, as it would force users to rely on the ISPs own service, which of course has much higher rates.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

laughed so hard at that. thanks for improving my day just a little bit.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

hahaha that vid was great.

Guess we gotta wait on the google overlords to save us.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Yea, I love my options of comcast which blames me for when I moved and they changed my account number over to the previous tenant and then promptly made his email the primary email and all bills and bill pay notifications including the last 4 of my visa being sent to someone I don't know, or AT&T which told me they couldn't even guarantee 1mb down due to how old the building is. Yup, so many options, I don't know what I will do with all these internet options.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Perhaps I'm reading that wrong, but isn't it saying that you can't use a law that doesn't apply to the companies to enforce net neutrality laws?

Basically, first they need to redefine ISPs as common carriers, then tell then they can't be terrible.

What's next, fining people for not having an ISP?

Quote Originally Posted by Tidane View Post

Basically, first they need to redefine ISPs as common carriers, then tell then they can't be terrible.
    Hopefully this is the next step, but the moneybags and lobbyists probably won't allow it.

What's next, fining people for not having an ISP?
    Nah, you get fined enough just for having one.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's ok guys, you can always just switch to dial up.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Yea dial up totally expands your choices exponentially, not like any of those choices are good... but that's not the point. The point is.. CHOICES, yay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast