+ Reply to Thread
    Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

San Diego Comic-Con 2014 (July 24th-27th)

It's that time again for news on SDCC. I'll update this as much as possible:

New Pricing and Ticket Changes:

The prices have increased $3-6 depending on the day over last year:

This year instead of the 4-Day pass, you will have to buy the days individually. They will combine the individual days into a 4-Day pass on site. Individuals are eligible to purchase preview night only if they buy all 4 days.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Not happy w/new ticket deal. especially since preview night is only available if you get all 4 days (and now you pay directly for it). Since preview night is only for all 4 days people will still buy all 4 days and nothing will change. Also, more expensive, blah blah blah

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Not happy w/new ticket deal. especially since preview night is only available if you get all 4 days (and now you pay directly for it). Since preview night is only for all 4 days people will still buy all 4 days and nothing will change. Also, more expensive, blah blah blah
    It does make it easier for people to get single day passes though. I remember there were a number of complaints because the single day pass that fell on the day of the Twilight had a panel got sold out so people were buying 4 day passes just so they could go on that day and then let the rest of the days go to waste. This process eliminates people from buying up four days just to attend 1-2 days because the single days were sold out.

As far as preview night goes, from what I remember, you always had to pay. Last year there was two options: $150 for 4 days without preview night, $175 for 4 days with. Just that this year the price increase means $200 for all days + preview night.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

Didnt passes sell out in seconds last year? I couldn't even load the page when they went on sale. This is gonna be a shit show

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Shit always sells out instantly. I just mooch free passes off friends in the industry though, or my personal favorite was exploiting stupid security guards and convincing them a military ID meant I get in for free.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I wonder when ticket resale will be. Since the RNG waiting room did not favor me this year

I just hope I don't need to scalp tickets like i did last year

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I wonder when ticket resale will be. Since the RNG waiting room did not favor me this year

I just hope I don't need to scalp tickets like i did last year
    End of May/early June but that could change.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Bad news:

Since there have been very low returns/cancellations of previously sold badges, there will be no badge resell this year.

http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/no-b...rnational-2014

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Already got my pass! Can't wait!

Ridill
    BG Level

Just gonna hijack this thread to ask if anyone's in Chicago at Acen right now. Here for the weekend at the embassy which is fucking terrible right now. They closed the second floor and you cant even use the stairs so its about a 5minute minimum wait to get on the elevator.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

No badge resell this year and trying to scalp tickets is retarded this time around also. Lowest I'm able to find anybody trying to sell them is for $500 (most being $700+). I refuse to pay that much! Tis a shame since this looks like the first year in 5 years I won't be going

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Able to share information about policy changes to Hall H since it was released today. Hall H is switching over to a wristband system:

Basically if you don't know, Hall H is where all the big movie studios have their panels on Saturday (Big TV shows on Sunday such as Supernatural and Doctor Who though Doctor who will not be present this year). The exhibition hall seats 6500 people and attendees tend to line up outside Hall H the night before and camp out. This lead to long lines and people would often get in line at the back and not get in. Now CCI is issuing color coded wristbands that tell you exactly your place in line. There will be four colors that represent 1/4 of the capacity. So for instance the first 1625 people in line get a red wristband, then the next 1625 get Yellow, then Green, then Blue. This is helpful because if you were to go stand in line and you saw that blue wristbands stop at 100 people ahead of you, then you know you are not getting into the first panel and you will have to wait for 100 people to leave for you to get into the next panel. This effects the line buddy system (people who stand in line in shifts) because all members of your group need to be present at the 1am wristband handout.

http://sdccblog.com/2014/07/comic-co...-hall-h-entry/

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nicholai Tankyou
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

You know how to fix the system a bit? Stream Hall H. Make it a paid stream if you want, but stream it. If you don't wanna show scenes/clips then blank it out. It wont kill the desire for people to be there but will cut back on some of the bullshit.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    You know how to fix the system a bit? Stream Hall H. Make it a paid stream if you want, but stream it. If you don't wanna show scenes/clips then blank it out. It wont kill the desire for people to be there but will cut back on some of the bullshit.
    As much as this is a good idea and has been mentioned so many times, I can tell you they will not do it for several reasons. Some of the big studios do not like the idea of streaming the panels even if paid because it is an exclusive affair and they want to keep it that way. Also for some who go, Hall H is legendary and it is a big pull to actually go and personally be there instead of watching a stream. Though you can end up in the back looking at big screens it almost is the same thing, but at the same time it's not. Hell, two years ago during the Marvel Panel, Robert Downy Jr surprised the crowd and came out to Luther Vandross "Never Too Much" while swag walking down the isle giving fans high fives wearing the hand armor from the Iron Man suit. It just wouldn't feel the same watching that through a computer/tv.

One of the best ideas I always hear is for them to do panels across the street a PetCo Park since it can hold a little less than 1/3rd of comic con attendees (roughly 130,000 go each year) but the cost would be astronomical apparently

As far as the wristbands go, I think it is a step in the right direction, albeit a small one, but things will get a little better after the expansion when Hall H will expand to hold somewhere close to 10,000 people.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Addendum, Comic Con does Hall H and ballroom 20 panel playbacks so while it isn't streaming it is still a good way to catch what happened if you can't get in.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Had to do a walk-through with my department today. It's always weird walking around in and outside the convention center when it is this empty

Massive collection of cosplay pictures from SDCC posted up to anime news network on the 28th, sooo belated I figured I should post up the link. The article is really long with tons of pics so I won't quote it. The cosplay photo gallery is at the bottom of the article.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...36#gallery_top

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

BBC America also posted theirs

http://www.bbcamerica.com/comic-con/...a-cosplay/#749

Oh and also Jimmy Fallon is going to be doing his show in San Diego during next years comic con. Because of this announcement, the dates for next year got unintentionally leaked and had to be announced by organizers so the dates are July 9th - 12th for 2015