1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 22 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 1 hours, 44 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 15 hours, 15 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DRG vs MNK?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Cause we all know the enmity meter means more deeps. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

MNK is higher damage than DRG. But 2 BRD + DRG is > 2 BRD + MNK. BRD+MNK is > BRD+DRG though.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ada Rusheart
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    Cause we all know the enmity meter means more deeps. Oh wait, no it doesn't.
    Serious question, if no enmity boosting/cutting moves are used, is it actually inaccurate for whatever reason?

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

On a single mob? Probably not but if multiple mobs, then you have no way of knowing without a parser. Abilities might add a bit of hate though and healing yourself probably adds some(ie. second wind/life surge)

I know a friend on DRG who made a comment about being behind our MNK on the hate list an entire Garuda EX, thinking he did less damage but he ended up doing more damage then him, even just on Garuda herself, which is the list I assume he was looking at.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Life Surge / Bloodbath self-healing doesn't generate additional enmity beyond the damage dealt iirc. But DRG does have a fair few more off-GCDs, which all generate a small amount of hate on use. So it's not a perfect measure by any means. If you were comparing 2 people of the same job it might hold a little more water.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Why not have both?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Minerva Kissaki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Asai View Post
    Why not have both?
    because u stack rng in this game duh.. only bring 1 mele for LB3 that's it.

Highlander status for mele
    There can be only one!

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Fights where GL can stay up the whole fight : MNK
    Fights where it can't: DRG

It's really that simple.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nekoh Tee
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Medivh

Quote Originally Posted by Judai View Post
    Any Monks ever hit the bombs a couple times to keep GL3 up? Seems like it could help for those couple formations that you actually have to get away from titan on.
    Yup that's one of the ways to keep that GL3 train going

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Matic Valefor
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Did some quick parsing between my DRG and MNK on a dummy. Went til TP ran out on both.

DRG is 90 with allagan spear and mostly BiS (no EX accs and still need t5 boots)

MNK is 86 with zenith, still needs some left side i90 pieces

ended up within 10 DPS of each other (Monk pulling ahead), the main difference being that DRG starts off with a burst up to 400 before settling around 300, whereas monk obviously ramps up to the 300-310 area

keeping in mind that i'm more comfortable with DRG, and have better gear for it; Monk was still inching ahead. not by much, but i feel pretty secure in the assertion that, given similar gear, Monk +GL3 is always better DPS than DRG. But the difference was smaller than i expected. And taking the DRG burst phase into account might narrow the gap even further in terms of damage done to target.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

^ Why. Why are we still using Dummy's for DPS comparisons. See Post #2.

BRD+MNK is > BRD+DRG though
    I'm curious why you say this. Throughout this debate we've seen that MNK is higher but seemingly only by a hair on content that matters. How does the slight 10% damage boost to BRD not outweigh the slight gap between DRG and MNK? Note also BRDs never have to position for combos or disengage for any set amount of time (barring certain transition phases where enemies are not in the arena) meaning the piercing debuff is still effective when both DRG and MNK can't engage mob.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Has anyone actually taken a BRD + DRG to a dummy to make sure that actually applies? I had one guy recently tell me that the piercing debuff didn't affect BRD. I wanted to tell him that was flat out ridiculous, but I've certainly never tested it, and this is SE we're talking about.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    San Solara
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Has anyone actually taken a BRD + DRG to a dummy to make sure that actually applies? I had one guy recently tell me that the piercing debuff didn't affect BRD. I wanted to tell him that was flat out ridiculous, but I've certainly never tested it, and this is SE we're talking about.
    I have, and it does.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

The next level of meta is MNK+MNK synergy. I'm sure other people have already been playing around with it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Melchior Ballester
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
    The next level of meta is MNK+MNK synergy. I'm sure other people have already been playing around with it.
    It would allow one MNK to stay on rear all time, he would just have to refresh TwS to keep it up and go on flank for SP while demo is up, so basically more dmg for one of the MNKs.

So it allows one MNK to stay on rear "full time" except for.....every other combo when they have to use Twin and/or Snap.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I mean, I know making the Opo move for the 2nd+ MNK always "205" potency instead of alternating 150/"205" is a nice boost. But is it that big?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Melchior Ballester
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    I mean, I know making the Opo move for the 2nd+ MNK always "205" potency instead of alternating 150/"205" is a nice boost. But is it that big?
    that's +33% every 3 moves no?
    with the cooldown between skills, I bet it's a 5-7% increase. Every bits help!

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Melchior Ballester
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

But 10% flat increase thanks to disembowel is hard to beat anyway.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

2 monks is okay, one monk doing dragon kick and the other just bootshining every time isn't as ridiculous as some people make it sound though.

Dragon kick and bootshine are the same potency, so all 2 monks does is make it so the non-DK monk will do 50% damage for that hit. The buffing monk can still crit his Dragon kick though, so the difference is even smaller than that.

It ensures the start of your combo will crit for one mnk. Normally, that mnk would be critting it every second time though, so it means every 6 moves, you get an extra 75 potency worth of damage

It's still something, but it's not equal to the boost that drg gives to a bard, that's for sure.

When it comes down to who does more damage, it's all on the fight. Can you keep GL3 up the whole time? Monk will probably be on top by a little. Probably not by 10% of a brd's overall damage though, that's for sure.

There's very few fights that matter where Monk has GL3 up all the time. Monks dont need to attack bombs to keep GL3 up. Bombs pop and most people run to the safe spot and wait there for about 5-10 seconds before they blow up. Just stay in and keep dpsing titan, run out right before landslide, the second landslide hits, run back in. You'll lose maybe 1 or 2 gcds worth of hits on titan and that's it. No need to hit bombs. There's times though where titan jumps and there's no bombs and you're in a shitty point in your rotation. If there's some sort of way to know very precisely when titan will jump, monk would be great for titan, but as far as I know it's DPS based, or HP%, but it's delayed by titan using moves or something, Leaves very very little time to time it, ill check it though