Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Idk if I was in that situation, I would pull my stuff out of github and just stop sharing it, I wouldn't force people to donate to be able to use it, lol, that would just be going down to the level of the people I was supposedly trying to stop.

"Sorry, people were abusing my programs so I decided to not release them to the public anymore."

Vs

"Sorry, people were abusing my programs so I decided to drop to their level and you will need to donate $25 to use my applications from now on."

Shootin' rocks at monsters
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Idk if I was in that situation, I would pull my stuff out of github and just stop sharing it, I wouldn't force people to donate to be able to use it, lol, that would just be going down to the level of the people I was supposedly trying to stop.

"Sorry, people were abusing my programs so I decided to not release them to the public anymore."

Vs

"Sorry, people were abusing my programs so I decided to drop to their level and you will need to donate $25 to use my applications from now on."
    Selling your merchandise and creations is in absolutely no fathomable way "dropping to their level" when talking about people stealing. Are you psychotic?

I think its retarded to call it a donation when you cant use it unless you "donate." Thats not how donations work. If he wants to sell his shit then whatever, I'm sure its due to legal reasons hes calling it a donation etc. I can understand the frustration.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Anyone have the source to this? Only one of his projects I didn't grab a copy of the source for.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by ColenzoRidesAgain View Post
    I think its retarded to call it a donation when you cant use it unless you "donate." Thats not how donations work. If he wants to sell his shit then whatever, I'm sure its due to legal reasons hes calling it a donation etc. I can understand the frustration.
    well iirc some of the things on the site used to be open to anyone and donations just opened up more options. But now it looks like you don't get access to jack without a "donation"

Shame I didn't get any before then

Quote Originally Posted by ColenzoRidesAgain View Post
    ^This, and this was my response from atom0s over twitter after I told him I lost respect for him for masquerading payment as a "donation":

So you're just another one that expects everything in life to be free. That's fine. Really don't care.
    So that pretty much sums it up. He wants paying and he doesn't care how it affects others or their opinions of him for masquerading payment as a donation.

TIME OUT MOTHERFUCKER

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

The way you get back at him is you upload the previous version somewhere else where everyone can get it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by geekgirl101 View Post
    So that pretty much sums it up. He wants paying and he doesn't care how it affects others or their opinions of him for masquerading payment as a donation.
    To me, that sums it up as "he doesn't give a flying fuck about the fact that you 'lost respect' for him because he no longer gives his time away for free."

This sentiment is exactly why I stopped releasing anything I do for free, unless I'm contributing it to an OSS community where no one is going to come back to me asking questions. You spend your time writing a bunch of code and you release it for free to everyone. Maybe you include a button for donations. You get a near zero amount of donations and a thousand emails, forum posts and PMs, notifications on IRC asking you to support something because they are chronically unable to read the extremely simple documentation for the software. If you help them, you've spent more of your time doing it and they probably won't donate. If you don't help, they bitch and moan all over the place about how you're a terrible person, which reflects negatively on you when you're releasing everything under your real name. Whatever though, right? You didn't release this to make money, you released it to be help people who were in the same sort of predicament you were in.

Then, to put the cherry on top, other people then take your software and start putting it behind their own paywalls or ripping your name from it and selling it. You now have to spend your time keeping an eye out for software that does the same thing as the one you released, figuring out if it is or is not your software, and sending takedown notices to anyone who is distributing it in ways that violate your license / copyright. If you don't, someone else starts making money off all of your time and (in the most hilarious cases) they'll still direct people's support requests back to you. Now those people paid money and they expect support. When you tell them "no, you paid money to a charlatan", they get mad and start bitching and moaning all over the place about how you're a terrible person, which etc etc.

In short, his tools, his time, his decision. Don't go around masquerading anger that you don't get things for free anymore as righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarage View Post
    The way you get back at him is you upload the previous version somewhere else where everyone can get it.
    lol. "Get back at him" for no longer releasing and supporting the code he wrote. How about instead of doing that, you write a new piece of software that does whatever this did and release it for free?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Thanks for summing it up pretty nicely Tidane. Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

To those that want to hate me for my choice(s) recently, feel free to. I've spent more time releasing things for free for this game (over 10 years now) and have gotten little to nothing in return but constant bullshit remarks, people stealing my work and rebranding it, and doing nothing to contribute back. An update happens and something breaks, I get a flood of pm's, emails, posts, etc. all doing nothing but complaining that it broke that same day with little to no chance to even push an update first before the flood starts. As of recently a lot of my things have been altered and rebranded, new donation links slapped onto them, and all for what? Nothing in return to me.

Does this make me greedy? No. This is me making the choice to protect my work and my time put into this game to give people things for free. Do I ask for a donation now in return to use my tools? Yes. It is a donation for my time and effort put into making these things for years on end, and never getting more then maybe 1-2 donations in that entire 10 years.

So if you want to hate me, feel free, I could care less. Spend 10 years doing something out of the kindness of your heart and have people steal it and start profiting on it and see how you feel in the end.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Locking by request.