+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Which animes should I watch?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here. I can't find a general question thread here in the anime section.

Anyways, I've decided to get anime on demand to replace WWE Classics on demand which is history in a few days. I've been on the demand site here (cable provider is Rogers) http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Whats...-Demand/Rogers looking over the shows that currently run.

My question to you is which of these shows would be good to watch. I used to watch a lot of anime when YTV in Canada used to have anime nights back in the day (Inuyasha, .hack, Witchunter Robin, Dragonball GT, Escaflowne), but I haven't watched in recent years and have not heard of any of the shows in the current on demand lineup other than Yumeria (I only know of this show because of Neneko whose in Project X Zone which I have).

Tl,dr which of these shows would be good for someone who hasn't watched much anime in 10 years:

Amagami SS Plus
    Amnesia
    BTOOOM
    Busou Shinki
    Divergence Eve
    From the New World
    Gatchaman
    Hiiro no Kakera
    KINMOZA
    Kokoro Connect
    La Storia della Arcana Famiglia
    Little Busters
    Mobile Police Patlabor
    NAKAIMO
    Phi Brain
    Rozen Maiden
    Saiyuki
    Sasami-san
    Say I Love You
    Special A
    Stella Womens Academy
    Sunday Without God
    Taisho Baseball Girls
    Tamako Market
    Tegami Bachi
    Uta no Prince Sama 1
    Yumeria (only show in this lot I'm somewhat familiar with)
    Yuyushiki

I'm hard pressed to call that an appealing list based on my own tastes. Would seriously say to just get Netflix if you're not willing to arrr it up. Or watch what Funimation might have on their site for free.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

To be frank that list is pretty bad for anyone coming back to anime since they are far better shows(Attack on Titan, Hellsing Ultimate, Space Dandy, Black Lagoon, Fate/Zero, Redline etc).

if this only way you can watch anime legally. From the New World is good(if you don't mind bi-sexual characters) and BTOOOM for stupid fun.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

agreed with the list being horrible

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I loved Say I love You but that is such a girlie anime, that if you aren't trying to get into a fem's pants don't bother with that one for sure. (can't comment on the rest because I haven't seen them)

I agree with above and say your money is better spent either with Hulu + or Netflix if you want to watch anime legally.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

I tried to watch say I love you but I just cant do it, I cringed every 3 seconds, it was so bad.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

WELL I GUESS YOU AREN'T A GIRLIE GIRL THEN.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'll go over the ones I've seen and can actually talk about.

Amagami SS Plus is kind of hard to watch if you haven't seen the original Amagami SS. And even then, it's pretty meh. I remember the first season of this anime actually had some pretty funny/charming moments. But this season is just kind of tacked on and is moreso for the die-hard fans of the anime/game I think. Which I'm not.

Kokoro Connect, I haven't seen this one... but I remember some people on here enjoying it when it came out. Something about body swapping and romance and blah blah. I didn't get into it (I think mainly because the studio that did it did an anime I absolutely loved the season before, so I didn't really try to get into this one. That show being Hyouka).

Little Busters, same with the one above, some people on here seem to enjoy it (and the second season that's airing now or was airing last season or whatever, I forget). I think it was supposed to be like Ano Hana. Teens who've been friends since kids, tragic events, lots of tears, etc, etc. I could be totally wrong, but I think that was the basic premise. I didn't get into it (again, mainly because Ano Hana was so fucking good that anything compared to it just fell so short).

Say I Love You, watched a couple episodes, I hated it. I am a doode, so that might be why, but I do enjoy a good romance anime every once and a while. But I hated this one. Couldn't stand the main girl, main guy, the story, the animation, everything. I hated it through and through lol.

Special A was actually pretty entertaining. A rom/com with good comedy and some romance too. Albeit I didn't like the ending... mainly because of how badly the laws of physics were ignored... but that's another matter >_>

Taisho Baseball Girls, I haven't seen this one, but I do like a good sports/baseball anime. I'm actually intrigued by it now that I looked it up.

Tamako Market, I liked this series. A slice of life anime with comedy, hints at romance, hints at some sad pasts, but overall just an easy going, easy watching, enjoyable show.

I agree with everyone else though, the list as a whole is pretty garbage. The shows I talked about above, I'd never really go out of my way to recommend to anyone (Not including Hyouka and Ano Hana). You're better off investing in something else like others have mentioned. Not to mention... there are plenty of sites... that... stream stuff... for like... free and stuff... that might not be super legal... but like... everyone does it.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Assuming that's Gatchaman Crowds, I can say it's not terrible but I've not mustered the will to finish it because it's a rather flat and predictable story with only one interesting character (because everyone else has 1 personality trait, and it's her job to change that through everyone just going "wut" at her).

Busou Shinki is silly humor slice-of-life with tiny robot girls. But pretty much all fluff.

BTOOOM tries too hard to be over the top in terms of action and shock value that it comes off as cheesy imo, but it's probably one of the more watchable thing on that list. Similar theme to Battle Royale / Hunger Games.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If you're a romantic sap on the inside or a stickler for romantic drama, Kokoro Konnect is amazing. Best girl is best girl.

That list doesn't really have much or anything I'd recommend for a beginner. I'm gonna go ahead and just recommend an action anime with decent plot and characters: Full Metal Alchemist and/or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. (The former splits off from the manga halfway through to follow an original story/ending, whereas the latter condenses what was the first half of the former into like a dozen episodes and then follows the manga.)

Agree with a bad starting list, but some of those shows are really good if you're into the genre (which seems like mostly shoujo).

Kokoro Connect is amazing, but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie.
    Little Busters is good, but you could do a lot better for Key anime (pay off for Little Busters is ass, just pick a Key anime that came out before this and you'll be better off).
    Stella Womens Academy is surprising entertaining but not at all critical to watch.
    Special A is the same as the above (but the ending sucks assssss).
    Rozen Maiden is a good series as well, with humour, action and some drama (as well as good music). 2013 "remake?!" thing as well, overall a series I enjoy but unsure of how well new watchers would receive it.

Patlabour is a bit of a classic as well, I liked it from what I remember but it has been a LONG time since I watched it.

Elvaan Death Machine
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pharaun Methelys
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Gonna echo what everyone else has said, there are a few ehhhhh it was ok shows in that list but most are just blah.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I may try to watch Taisho Baseball Girls because I'm a huge baseball fan. I've thought about watching stuff online but I'm an old fashioned guy and prefer cable (only had digital cable for 18 months lol). This is why I'm not getting the WWE Network because it will be strictly online and also why I preferred MLB Extra Innings over MLB.tv. Plus, streaming eats up my bandwidth pretty bad. I could try to get unlimited use but the net is in my dad's name now and we just switched ISPs recently and I don't want to bug him to change it again.

This on demand setup also has the Persona anime from time to time. Is that any good?

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kang View Post
    This on demand setup also has the Persona anime from time to time. Is that any good?
    Da best.

But why not get netflix DVD if you want to watch on tv, but don't want to stream?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I'm also a huge wrestling fan and was very intrigued when I heard about this new wrestling anime Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! Has anyone watched this?

May give it a try if I can find a dub.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Da best.

But why not get netflix DVD if you want to watch on tv, but don't want to stream?
    I can look into that. Thanks. I think I'm still gonna get this on demand channel just so I can have something to watch when I'm bored and idling in Port Jeuno lol.

YES YES YES YES.

Biased as fuck.

But YES.

Brokage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vasp Anemos
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Persona anime was fantastic! Even if you're not familiar with the game, it's incredibly well done!

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Gurren Lagann, now. Fuck every other series until you watch this masterpiece.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm also a huge wrestling fan and was very intrigued when I heard about this new wrestling anime Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! Has anyone watched this?

May give it a try if I can find a dub.
    Seems like the plot is very shapely.