+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    I think having those various peoples singing in English would show unity (we are all Americans first and foremost, your ethnic heritage comes second), and emphasize that what people look like doesn't matter.
    I don't see how you can make this point, given the commercial.. The commercials shows unity through the song, that all people, regardless of where they're from or what language they speak can come together and be Americans. If anything, isn't it better to say you don't need to give up your heritage, culture, and who you are to be American than the alternative you're suggesting (which I'm going to oversimplify and take to an extreme, but -- it doesn't matter what you look like, come abandon your heritage culture and be American!)?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

we are all Americans first and foremost
    That is what the ad is saying. America is a nation where it's citizens speak many, many languages - and no matter what language they speak, they are still American.

America's "ethnic heritage" has never been a monolith. Ever.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Wasn't the song written by a lesbian?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Pepsi Throwback or get the fuck out (Kosher Coke also works in a pinch). Fuck you people and your corn syrup shit. I don't care what language you speak, when the cola is too syrupy it doesn't blend correctly with mixed drinks. This is the shit that really matters. Who drinks Pepsi or Coke by itself? Neither side cares about you! Vote third party! Cocktails 2016! USA! USA!

I like to eat food
    BG Level

But I would bet someone from Quebec would be extremely pissed if they tried to order in a restaurant and found the server couldn't speak French.
    What?

I live in NYC where the diversity of the population can be astounding. On an everyday basis I run into people from all parts of the world. Never have I gone into a deli, restaurant, bodega (yeah, a BODEGA), market, bar, clothing store, office supply store, etc. and run into someone who could not speak enough English to properly serve me. Hell, I work for a GC with City contracts and can tell you that 80% of the employees are non-white with English as their second language.

I have no idea what this comment about servers is about. If they are not able to properly help the customer base, they are not likely going to be placed at the front of the house.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I'm aware, and the very first thing I admitted was that the people reacting in this manner to the ad (advertisement has only one 'd') are bigots. That doesn't mean we can't have a conversation about the concept of a national language and detach it from these inbred nationalistic morons. For the record, I have no problem with the ad whatsoever. However, I do think it would be better if it were in English, and the various people shown sang it in English. The other languages were clearly an artistic choice to emphasize how accepting we/the company are of other cultures/peoples, when I think that's demonstrated completely by simply having those other cultures/peoples in the ad. Even better, I think having those various peoples singing in English would show unity (we are all Americans first and foremost, your ethnic heritage comes second), and emphasize that what people look like doesn't matter.
    It is ok for you to think the bold part but why? People in this country do not give up their heritage or ethnicity at all. Being American and having an ethnic heritage are not mutually exclusive it isn't one first then the other. That to me is an absurd statement. At this point it just feels like you are making an issue out of nothing. Trying to nitpick for the sake of controversy.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quebec is trying their damndest to preserve a culture in a country that overwhelmingly doesn't want it (from my perception of Canada).
    Pretty sure this is the same as the US. Also, I agree with what Serra said to the second part. Singing it in English wouldn't have made the commercial any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I don't see how you can make this point, given the commercial.. The commercials shows unity through the song, that all people, regardless of where they're from or what language they speak can come together and be Americans. If anything, isn't it better to say you don't need to give up your heritage and culture and who you are to be American than the alternative you're suggesting (which I'm going to oversimplify, but -- it doesn't matter what you look like, come abandon your heritage culture and be American!)?
    How can a people be united unless they can all talk to each other? Also, while it's not about completely abandoning their heritage, that's kind of what the melting pot ideal is. They merge their current culture with American culture, changing (and hopefully improving) both. We're like the Borg.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I think the idea is that they're united in the idea of not being xenophobic douchebags who think everyone else should speak their language.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

How can a people be united unless they can all talk to each other? Also, while it's not about completely abandoning their heritage, that's kind of what the melting pot ideal is. They merge their current culture with American culture, changing (and hopefully improving) both. We're like the Borg.
    There is NO indication that these people cannot speak English! And for the rest: No, Just no.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

How can a people be united unless they can all talk to each other?
    You can't claim you are trying to take things farther when SPECIFICIALLY referring to the commercial. Singing a song in various languages doesn't mean they can't talk to each other.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

For the record, I have no problem with the ad whatsoever. However, I do think it would be better if it were in English, and the various people shown sang it in English. The other languages were clearly an artistic choice to emphasize how accepting we/the company are of other cultures/peoples, when I think that's demonstrated completely by simply having those other cultures/peoples in the ad. Even better, I think having those various peoples singing in English would show unity (we are all Americans first and foremost, your ethnic heritage comes second), and emphasize that what people look like doesn't matter.
    Except you're wrong. The other languages were an artistic choice, and that's what made it beautiful. It was Coke's point (not so abstract one at that) that America is beautiful because not only are we accepting of other cultures, people are FREE to speak their own language, have their own heritage, and practice their own faith. They don't HAVE to have a singular unifying principle other than the fact that they are ALL American citizens (and by extension, are Americans).

The fact that you and others so blatantly miss that is what is so infuriating in the first place. Not only are people so misguidedly stupid that they think "America the Beautiful" is our national anthem; not only can they not differentiate between "you're" and "your"; they are so unbelievably racist and nationalist that they can't see that the message being sent is "We're all in this country together". It always has to be "FUCK YOU LIBERAL HIPPY FAGGOT COMMUNISTS TRYING TO TAKE AMERICA AWAY" coming from some dude who thinks native Americans were white with blonde hair and blue eyes.

The unity was in spirit. Too many people in this country think language is unity (ethnocentrists), or appearance is unity (racists), or beliefs are unity (radicalists).

Real unity is a common goal and common desire. In America, the citizens have always had the common desire of being free. It's the rich assholes and super-elite closet racist monkey-fuckers who have you thinking that it's anything else other than that.

Not a single progressive person I know has ever said they wish America was more white, or more Christian, or less migrant, or less atheistic. Most everyone I've ever known always has that same goal in mind - that America was a better place for EVERYONE.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I like the people on Coca Cola's Facebook page talking about "one nation, one God, one language."

They clearly know their rights as citizens of the US.

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    The lack of a "I'm not racist.. but speak English (or American?)" tweet disappoints me..

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    Yes, you are quite the master of English. Please, teach me your amazing Jedi ways.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2...v76co1_400.gif

we are all Americans first and foremost, your ethnic heritage comes second
    And America has historically been about how diverse our entire country is, not just in skin color but in language too....that and killing people with smallpox who have dark skin.

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

that's kind of what the melting pot ideal is
    And that's not what America is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    I like the people on Coca Cola's Facebook page talking about "one nation, one God, one language."

They clearly know their rights as citizens of the US.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

A nation started to escape religious oppression is only allowed to practice one religion! All Muslims are terrorists and Asians are savages!

Vive la Revolution!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

America is the most illiterate "1st-world" country on Earth. This country's racist cowards can't even speak their beloved language that they use as a benchmark of intelligence towards immigrants. Unless you prejudice asshats decide to launch a country-wide campaign to raise literacy levels, keep your xenophobic bullshit to yourself.