+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

That's it, I am leaving Coke and going to good old American Budlight.

Called it on the coke commercial as soon as it aired. Looked at wife and said "this is going to be ALL over the fucking internet"

When I first heard there was a boycott Coke thing going on, I naively thought it was due to some awesome leak of labor rights abuse going on in their factories or maybe their involvement with the paramilitary in Columbia lol

Nope, just the usual elementary racist narrative from the right.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I was offended by the Bud puppy ad.

This commercial does not represent our diverse country !

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by notorious bum View Post
    When I first heard there was a boycott Coke thing going on, I naively thought it was due to some awesome leak of labor rights abuse going on in their factories or maybe their involvement with the paramilitary in Columbia lol

Joe the Plumber had a nice rant on Facebook about it. The comments supporting him are ridiculous.

Basically it went something like "America is a melting pot" to "speak English" within a single comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokitoki View Post
    Joe the Plumber had a nice rant on Facebook about it. The comments supporting him are ridiculous.

Basically it went something like "America is a melting pot" to "speak English" within a single comment.
    I had no idea who Joe the Plumber was until you said something.../wrists

Don't forget the bigotry too. That commercial had a filthy homo couple in it too! FUCK THIS NATION IS GOING DOWN HILL.

The reaction to this commercial is obviously bigoted. That said, having a national language is actually a good idea, and consistent with the concept of the melting pot approach to multiculturalism (i.e. various peoples melting together to form one homogeneous group). I'm not a fan of overt nationalism, but how can I refer to someone as "my fellow American" if I can't even converse with them? Having a national language isn't about being xenophobic - it's about having standards for communication so that everyone is on the same playing field. It's not unreasonable to expect immigrants to learn conversational English within 5 years.

Who knows, maybe forcing them to have the ability to communicate will cause them to integrate into our society better? Because as it stands, when they had the last big strike of day laborers in California, they flew lots of Mexican flags, and only some American flags. That says way more than a few sentences about how they feel when it comes to the prospect of integrating with our society. To those people flying Mexican flags, our country is a meal ticket, not their new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    The reaction to this commercial is obviously bigoted. That said, having a national language is actually a good idea, and consistent with the concept of the melting pot approach to multiculturalism (i.e. various peoples melting together to form one homogeneous group). I'm not a fan of overt nationalism, but how can I refer to someone as "my fellow American" if I can't even converse with them? Having a national language isn't about being xenophobic - it's about having standards for communication so that everyone is on the same playing field. It's not unreasonable to expect immigrants to learn conversational English within 5 years.

Who knows, maybe forcing them to have the ability to communicate will cause them to integrate into our society better? Because as it stands, when they had the last big strike of day laborers in California, they flew lots of Mexican flags, and only some American flags. That says way more than a few sentences about how they feel when it comes to the prospect of integrating with our society. To those people flying Mexican flags, our country is a meal ticket, not their new home.
    Most foreign people I have dealt with know English, its taught in most countries as a second language. That said, i'm talking more about the younger people. Older foreign people just never bothered and don't care anymore, and will yell at you for not knowing how to speak their own language even while in America. We have a national language, and it's English...but that doesn't mean we can just say "Speak it or gtfo!" because that doesn't go over in any country, and definitely not here.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Coke drama deserves its own thread so we can all laugh at Blubbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Most foreign people I have dealt with know English, its taught in most countries as a second language. That said, i'm talking more about the younger people. Older foreign people just never bothered and don't care anymore, and will yell at you for not knowing how to speak their own language even while in America. We have a national language, and it's English...but that doesn't mean we can just say "Speak it or gtfo!" because that doesn't go over in any country, and definitely not here.
    No, we don't have a national language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languag...anguage_status

I don't know enough about the immigration policies of other countries, but I honestly wouldn't be shocked if it was required to learn languages in at least some places. Granted, that language might often be English, considering English is most likely going to be the global language in the future (because it already is the de facto language of international business).

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

You missed

SPEAK AMERICAN!

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    I see you had a good time yesterday after I mentioned Coke's Facebook on the Superbowl Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Gredival View Post
    I see you had a good time yesterday after I mentioned Coke's Facebook on the Superbowl Thread
    I still hate you for that. (but yes)

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

The people who think this is the national anthem is hilarious

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Quote Originally Posted by Blubbartron View Post
    It's a cultural mosaic. Stop saying melting pot. There's not one "American Culture" in which to assimilate.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Their grammar is terrible too.

Clearly racist remarks with poor grammar and "American" as the language instead of English. I'm so proud to be American.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma View Post
    The people who think this is the national anthem is hilarious
    I am trying to find the links of people who said "Look to Budweiser on being American" which is a Belgian company....

Also, all the people switching to Pepsi when Pepsi has been strong supporter of LGBT rights and has a Hindu CEO with a Muslim second-in-command.

Kevin Chang
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by NynJa View Post
    SPEAK AMERICAN!
    #SpeakAmerican was trending on Twitter the other night.

It makes me sad to see so many ignorant bigots on the same side as me... Doesn't change the fact that having a national language is the logical and pragmatic thing to do. Bonus: if we make English the national language and kick out people who don't learn it in a reasonable amount of time, can we kick out these idiots who don't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're'? Nothing more stereotypically ignorant than bitching that people should speak English by people who are so clearly lacking in mastery of it.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I wonder how many of these people will still consume:
    Fanta
    Sprite
    Minute Maid
    Powerade
    Nestea
    Fruitopia
    Dasani
    Vitamin Water

As well as enjoy viewing the following in which Coca-Cola is a major sponsor:
    NHRA
    NASCAR
    the NBA
    the PGA Tour
    NCAA Championships
    the Olympic Games
    the NRL
    the FIFA World Cups
    the UEFA European Championships.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast