+ Reply to Thread
    Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

PantiGate: Homophobes are now the victims of homophobia, and get bank for their suffering.

*Either skip onto the Dan Savage article, or just watch the Video linked if you want the good stuff in an abridged fashion*

Back story:

A few weekends back during a Saturday Night chat show, Rory O'Neill (Panti when not in drag) was asked if homophobia existed in Ireland. He was then asked to name names of those he felt were the worst culprits.

Rory named 2 columnists from big Newspapers in Ireland (think NYtimes of Ireland.....generally crap newspaper but read by a lot of people) and the Iona Institute (a catholic self proclaimed institute that generally is trying to defend different sex marriage in Ireland...that if I recall correctly gets some funding from America crazies).

The following day, the broadcast was pulled from the internet, a formal apology was issued by the broadcaster (RTE) and compensation [100kish dollars in total] was given to all three mentioned.

RTE is a national broadcaster funded from tax payers via a yearly T.V license fee.

So, basically, homophobes were shocked that they were called homophobes and threatened legal action and got alot of money from tax payers. All people accused have a rather impressive podium for discourse that they could have utilised.

An interesting thing to keep in mind is that the referendum on Same sex marriage will occur within the next 2 years. Casting doubt on the ability for the major news source to be impartial.

The scandal spread via social media but only Irish gays really took to it.
    Some media outlets took Panti's defense while others condemned her. Straight media criticized her for calling people homophobic, because by archaic legal definitions they weren't homophobic. Personally (and Panti shares the opinion) I would be disgusted if straights told me something wasn't homophobic, when they had no fucking idea of what the experience of homophobia meant.

Then, this video came about.....

Video became viral and has gotten alot of media attention. RTE tried to ignore it at first but Streisand effect took over and both Irish polititions, international news sources and alot of notable celebrites voiced their comments (Stephen Fry, Madonna, Ru Paul, Dan Savage etc).

As a mostly gay man who lived in the west of Ireland until only recently, it pangs my heart how much this video speaks to my experience. I hate when I get uncomfortable when a friend or someone I'm talking to is ''too'' camp in a hetero area. I hate when I'm in a ghetto (grew up in one; generally always live in one cuz of rent) I check myself because I'm afraid I might be broadcasting something gay.

As I've grown older and seen more of the world I've become much more emboldened. I believe its up to us to expose more and more people to the discourse of sexuality, whether it be partner based (gay/bi/ asexual etc), gender based (trans, gender queer etc), or even relationship ''styles'' (monogamy, polyamory etc). People learn from exposure and when you can show people how alternative lifestyles are lived, and how they are generally much the same as your own...attitudes change.

Dan Savage article: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...omophobic-fail

The story is still unfolding at the moment, with middle Ireland getting involved. I'm feeding off the tears of the all the bastards involved, and have no regrets for never paying my TV license when I was in Ireland.

Ireland really has changed dramatically since the 90s, and is generally a fantastic country....but, here and there there are sprinkles of that old Catholic church mentality. Whereas I personally feel that generation is dying off, I'm also worried given the huge outward migration Ireland is experiencing.

TL:DR Watch the video.

Spoiler: show
    No seriously, just watch the video

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Also, if you don't fall in love with Panti for that.

Fall in love with her for scamming Maury Povich back in the 90's.

Him and a friend of his decided to make up this huge story for a free trip to the United States. If you watch it you can see them laughing to each other, while Maury is eating it up.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

So Ireland is Russia ?

Didn't want to make another thread on homphobia and hate-crime topic. DN had a great interview with the Transgendered woman who was a victim of a hate crime and spent 19months in prison for defending herself from some nazi-tatted motherfucker.