+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaming Nostalgia     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Thought you were talking about the Buster upgrade for some reason.

Never knew about the Hadouken to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    At the end of the Armored Armadillo stage there's a hidden capsule. If I remember correctly, it's when you're riding the cart before reaching his door, so you can only try it once, and if you miss you have to die to try again.

I think I've only bothered to get it once..
    It isn't normally on the platform as I've gotten to the platform countless number of times. Apparently you'll have to have beaten all 8 Mavericks, have all hearts and E tanks, all upgrades, (EDIT) and touch the platform 4 times in previous play throughs. Since I've always done Armadillo in the middle, and never died 4 times before going into his room, I had no idea it existed.

Just makes me like the game more because all this secret stuff went unknown at that time unless you really knew someone that knew someone that told you their cousin...

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Final Fantasy Motherfucking Tactics.

All of the songs committed to memory, the awful translations, the elemental gun mixup, the first ending where it wasn't a happily ever after routine.

Chrono Trigger / Cross
    Legend of Dragoon (why Lavitz whyyyyyyyy)
    Legend of Legaia (Fiyaaaaaaaaaa Bro)
    Final Fantasy (5-10)
    Pokemon Blue (bitches), Gold (played a horribly translated emu), Snap (rented and surprised), Stadium (hours of RAGE)
    Mario Kart 64 (Welcome to Maaaaario Kaaart)
    Super Mario 64
    Super Mario RPG (Forest Maze for life)
    Zelda OOT / ALTP (Hey, listen. bitch.)
    Flying Dragon (If you played this, you're a winner)
    Quest 64
    Battle Arena Toshinden
    Intelligent Cube
    Legacy of Kain: Block Puzzles
    Super Mario All Stars
    Dave Mirra BMX 2
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
    Aggressive Inline
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Donkey Kong Country (awwwww yissssssss)
    Donkey Kong 64
    Starcraft
    Command and Conquer (for the N64 looool)
    Megaman X-X4 (that voice acting in X4.... LOL)
    Star Ocean 2 (again, voice acting lulz)
    Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy XI (dear god, the years. why?)
    Smash Bros.
    Getting pwned in every fighting game by my cousin ever.

Fuck Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
    Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter ('dat opening) - ARE YOU READY TRUE BELIEVERS?!

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

fun fact.

my grandmother used to beat my ass at battle arena toshinden

Got a few games that are just so far ahead of everything else for me.

1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II

The first Nintendo game I ever played, what else can I say. I still love this game to death just for the memories it brings.

2. A link to the Past

Still my favorite Zelda game, had so much fun as a kid exploring every inch of this game that seemed so huge at the time. Everyone at my school knew I was loved this game and I used to get phone calls from my friends asking for advice on the game when they'd get stuck.

3. Chrono Trigger

The perfect game if their ever was one. The music still gives me chills, a game I could just play over and over and never get tired of. It's on pretty much everyones list for a reason.

4. Brood War

My first online game, spent hours playing custom games and even ten years after it came out I was still playing on ICCup.

5. Counter-Strike

This one probably took up more of my life than any other game(at least until the next game on the list), I played this every day for like 7 years.

6. Dota/Dota 2

My current love, nothing has ever hooked me like Dota. Wasted so many hours of my life, but never have I enjoyed gaming this much, have met so many great people on playing dota. The only problem is it's killed pretty much any other multiplayer game for me as every time I try to play something else I wonder why I'm not playing Dota instead.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This is probably the best thread I've read in a while.

FFXI: started at the end of 8th grade. Played until sophomore in college. Met some amazing people. Dedicated way too much time to it. Don't regret a thing. Love a lot of people I barely talk to anymore if at all. If you're reading this and you know me from Seraph I miss you. Be it a competing LS member a LS mate from Nepenthe/Apotheosis or even someone I kicked. I learned a lot about people, about myself and about life. Corny enough. Through this game. I miss leading people. I miss camping kings. A few other people posted that they think FFXI was perfect pre abysses and I agree. I miss being Mythe.

Mw2: miss the friends I used to play with. The maps are nostalgic.

Socom 2: first online shooter game for me. I was undefeated with my mate in 2v2.

Zelda: any. Nostalgic.

Megaman x: any. Same reason.

Diablo 1/2: first online games.

Star Wars Jedi academy: sucked. But was so sick. Also got my online name from that game.

I'm serious though if anyone is from Seraph or what it and recognizes me don't be afraid to drop a message and say what's up. I miss that community and that server.

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin View Post
    hi
    Hi Ruke, what are you playing these days?

I am still playing WoW.

I'm still super nostalgic for FFXI at least once or twice a year. I miss the people the most.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

FFXI - Kinda scary when I last checked my time played and was around 370 days. I don't leave my character logged in, so other than bathroom/smoke breaks, I have spent over a year playing without bothering with endgame stuff, just leveling and missions. Best investment of $20 I ever made on the PS2 when I found it on clearance at Toys R Us a few months before WotG released.

DW7 - This is a comfort game for me. I love the job system so much, always feeling like my character is growing thanks to constantly learning new abilities. Once I unlock the job system, I spend like 20 hours just grinding jobs up outside of Dharma Temple before I continue the story.

Contra - This was a defining game during middle school for me. Co-op gaming with friends was a blast. Tough, but never unfairly tough. Eventually became a walk in the park for me. Think my best was not dying until stage 7 until the 6th or 7th loop (beat it without dying, then decided to see how far I could go before I messed up). This also had a lasting impact on other gaming skills, letting me pound buttons fast. Once I could destroy the tanks on the ice stage without any weapon powerups, I knew I had my speed down.

Raiders of the Lost Ark - My first introduction to adventure style games. Other than a few hints in the instruction book, you were on your own to figure out how to beat the game.

Ultima 7 part 2 - Part 1 is one of the very first computer games I got from a friend and loved how you could do almost anything you wanted in that game. Serpent Isle (part 2) got me through freshmen year in college. Did the first 3/4 of the game so many times before I couldn't continue due to forgetting 1 single step. I knew where to go, but 1 small thing stopped me. Didn't stop me from starting over again and again.

Runner Up:
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts - First game I bought for the SNES. Got stolen twice and bought it twice more. Like contra, was tough but fair. The music, the weapon selection, the graphics, every thing just clicked for me. When I finally beat it (the capcom classics collection version on PS2), it was almost orgasmic. A game that I had played on and off again for over 10 years had finally come full circle for me.

Street Fighter 2 - Spent almost every Friday night senior high school year at the arcade playing this. Arcade had house rules (no throwing, no glitching) which instilled a certain idea of fair play when playing against another person. Anybody doing this would soon find themselves not having anybody to play against. There are certain things I still feel are "unfair" but are accepted by the fighting game community at large, so in the end it turned me off from playing competitively, leading me to focus more on single player experiences.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I might wind up dating myself on a few of these games, but here goes.

Dune 2: Battle for Arrakis. First RTS I ever played. Clumsy and clunky as hell by today's standards though Dune2k fixed up some of that. Was proud of the fact I beat that game with all three houses despite the stupid bug that would cause the starport to bug out and not deliver your goods and lock you out of it.

Quest for Glory: Probably heresy but I enjoyed QFG 1&2 more than I did some of the Kings Quest games. The humor in it was amazing as well. Got to love a game where you can level your lockpicking by picking your nose and then promptly die by accidently picking your brain.

Final Fantasy IV: While I played FF on the NES, IV (2) on the SNES is what got me hooked on RPG's. I've beaten this game more times than I care to admit and currently playing through again on the vita so I can freshen up my memory of the story before doing the after years portions for the first time.

Moon Patrol: I'm honestly amazed I didn't burn out my atari 2600 playing this game.

THE NOSTALGIAAA

Inviting anyone else to send a PM my way too, if you're interested in chat/catching up/nostalgia/bullshitting/lulz or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    This is probably the best thread I've read in a while.

FFXI: started at the end of 8th grade. Played until sophomore in college. Met some amazing people. Dedicated way too much time to it. Don't regret a thing. Love a lot of people I barely talk to anymore if at all. If you're reading this and you know me from Seraph I miss you. Be it a competing LS member a LS mate from Nepenthe/Apotheosis or even someone I kicked. I learned a lot about people, about myself and about life. Corny enough. Through this game. I miss leading people. I miss camping kings. A few other people posted that they think FFXI was perfect pre abysses and I agree. I miss being Mythe.
    I'm serious though if anyone is from Seraph or what it and recognizes me don't be afraid to drop a message and say what's up. I miss that community and that server.
    Mythe, you bastard.

Know the exact feeling of all of that lol, and of course I remember ya. I'll send a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aurik View Post
    Hi Ruke, what are you playing these days?

I am still playing WoW.

I'm still super nostalgic for FFXI at least once or twice a year. I miss the people the most.
    Hey man lol, I still remember us arguing on this forum for PAGES on random shit... novel-length sized posts... convinced we were right... fun times. No love for my SAM/WAR tanking escapades. Still had my respect, asshole.

Nothing these days, WoW was the last big game commitment and I stopped shortly after my burying myself in the first full-time job (about 4 years ago). I've dabbled in Starcraft II, DOTA2, and some other misc stuff in the mean time, but that's about it; and nothing on any major level. I'm still pretty regular in lurking around BG though, but don't post as much.

I get nostalgic about it all decently often too, and get a kick out of reading through old BG posts, livejournal updates, or going through old pictures every now and then. Definitely miss the people the most.

I probably over committed myself a bit in work though, and hope to find a more 'moderate' balance once some big financial decisions are straightened out... and get back into some of the fun I've been missing out on. Not sure if I'll ever be back in FF (if any MMO), but hey, who knows.

I can't say I yearn for the old days, myself. A lot of the basic concepts of games from then remain, just the execution has changed as the tech has improved. As someone who grew up on sprites, sure, I could stomach them, but I'd be lying if I said it was a preference. At best, trying to look back just reminds me how much the JRPG market has been slacking the past few years. If I had to put an order on titles of appreciation for me, it'd be Xenoblade (Wii), Radiant Historia (DS), and then Tales of Vesperia (360). Maybe not revolutionary games, but nonetheless pretty solid. So, put me in line with those who want more Suikoden and more console-based titles, both continuations and new IPs, to really emphasize how strong storytelling can be. Stuff where 40-60 hours later, I wonder where the fuck the time went. Bravely Default seems to be striking a chord for many, but alas, no 3DS for me. And I'm not looking forward to needing a Wii-U for Project X.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

http://s.pro-gmedia.com/videogamer/m.../doom_logo.jpg

i just downloaded the Brutal Doom mod yesterday lol. game is still fucking awesome. pretty sure it was my first PC game (not sure if it was this or xwing/xwing vs. tie fighter). replayed those games a couple months ago also and they also are still awesome.

aside from that, the usual ff/Zelda/Metroid/mega man games. last summer i finally played ff 7 and 8, over the last break i played 3, ive now played all the "main" ff games. 2 was such a horror.

fun fact: when i was a wee lad i got the NES for Christmas fairly close to release. to my eternal shame, my dad beat super mario brothers before i did. THAT JERK

another fun fact: im old

edit: if i had to do my biggest "time wasters":

ffxi
    doom
    team fortress
    xwing/tie fighter
    diablo 2
    ff6

its funny, i love doom but i fucking hate fps games. SO IT GOES

edit fun fact: i dont regret much about playing ffxi: actually very useful when youre in grad school studying medieval/renaissance literature. I KNOW ALL THE RELIGIONS AND GODS AND MYTHS AND THINGS

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just seeing the thread title, the only game that truly comes to mind for me is Castlevania : SOTN. Even down the astoundly shitty voice acting/writing, to this day I still love everything about that game. I still have a memory card lying around somewhere with a save file sitting in the 210% clear range.

FFXI, for all the emotional reason everyone says. For me personally, also because I learned a lot about myself (what type of person I am). I learned how to manage people and became better at organizing and coordinating, mainly due to getting around 50+ people through CoP. I fucking loved CoP.

I also learned to type fast and my English improved a lot during those years. It was also a very nice source of inspiration for graphic design, which helped me discover that that was one of the things I really wanted to do in life.

Other than that...

- FF8: can pretty much finish this perfectly without a walkthrough by now, but I still love it.

- Ratchet & Clank 2: something about just smashing everything to bits while hopping from planet to planet is satisfying. And then you get a box breaker.

- FFX: playing it just makes me serene and happy. Perhaps because I love being in water.

- Timesplitters 2: this + multitap + level maker = what else is there? Huge amount of fun.

- Micro Machines V3: we still play this, just one map, with tanks. We've created a competition out of this and are absolute masters at it. It's surreal to see us play; we mastered every aspect perfectly. We feel like we went beyond the game. So hugely entertaining fights with people who are skilled at this, and it's amazing to see so much tense competition in just one map. We have our own little competition and it's so amazing seeing grown-ups have so much fun with a PS1 game from 1997. We've taken this beyond its purpose, and we will not look back.

If I ever become rich, I'll hire 3 programmers to recreate this. I'll start an online competition and organise tournaments all over the world. If I would have to nominate just one game, it's this one.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kareface View Post
    FFXI was the reason I stopped gaming. She spoiled me for all other games, which has been great in a lot of ways. I really do miss playing and it sucked to get banned but at the same time I couldn't be happier doing what I'm doing now and I'm not sure I would be here if I hadn't gotten hit with the ban stick. I also never got to see the shit show that was abyssea. R.I.P. Minidragon
    Every time I tried to quit FFXI nothing compared to the fun I had with it. Not until I got banned as well did I give up. Granted I played on free servers for awhile, but all other games took a back seat. Even now in just four months my steam+origin library is over 100 games (a lot of bundles) and I still think of the fun I had leveling Beastmaster all six times. I almost feel like a kid at Christmas right now because XIV should hit my doorstep no later than 2pm tomorrow. And I JUST bought Borderlands 2, Dark Souls RTDE, and Battlefield 3. After playing Skyrim for around 15 hours I said to myself, "It's just not the same" and kind of gave up.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Dang FF10, 8 and 9 were all awesome games I forgot to post about. Can't believe 10 gets such little love here. I guess there are some age ranges it probably appeals to more than others though.

I don't care, make something up!
    BG Level

1. FFXI: NA Launch - 2010
    2. Socom 1: Socombattles.com
    3. Counter-Strike: Caleague. What am I talking about, fuck CAL.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mythe_Seraph View Post
    Dang FF10, 8 and 9 were all awesome games I forgot to post about. Can't believe 10 gets such little love here. I guess there are some age ranges it probably appeals to more than others though.
    I really liked 10, but 8 for me is the best. Also, and call me crazy, I really really really enjoyed 10-2.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmado View Post
    I really liked 10, but 8 for me is the best. Also, and call me crazy, I really really really enjoyed 10-2.
    10-2's battle system is one of the best in the series, everything else about the game be damned.

Gonna agree with 90% of the games mentioned so far, plus add probably the biggest trip down memory lane for me: The Arcades

I was too young and poor really to make much of the arcade scene. The only Arcade I truly kicked ass in was KI2 when I was like 14. I remember 1 day specifically, afterschool, when we first moved into our house and I got to say goodbye to my old neighborhood for a few days every week over a year, while my moms worked at University Mall. At that time I was also playin those Pokemanz religiously when it first came out. Anyways, I remember beating KI2 with nearly everyone, but perfected master-troll status with Saberwulf by basically playing defense and run like a bitch to bait everyone to their slow demise. Well, atleast an hour later, I believe I had a win-streak of 60-70 and had to bounce with folks still lined-up lol

Basically, my whole childhood, I was seduced by the Arcade scene, even if I sucked hard at them most of my life. Just walking into one of my favorite places as a child, Malibu Grand Prix, was overwhelming. Nothing was more fun than watching grown dudes in business suits and teenagers filled with piss and vinegar go at it like a Boxing match on all the biggest fighters(SF2Turbo, MK3, Marvel, etc.)

The only thing that comes close to the Arcades for a childhood nostalgia-bomb would be playing the demo kiosks like a lil crackhead everytime we went to the mall/blockbuster/KB/ToysRus/etc. lol Mario64, DKC, Daytona USA, Sonic, Gamegear, and Battle Arena all come to mind vividly.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Oh man, just loaded up MK Kollection and was playing some MK3. I still remember Sub Zero's combos! First time I saw MK3 I was 13 in Canada on a baseball traveling team in Montreal and they let us go into the arcades. Ash trays clamped to the sides of the machines and I swear an adult area was in the back area of every arcade. People were lined up to get at MK3. Was amazing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast