+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plasma Television advice     submit to reddit submit to twitter

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Plasma Television advice

I was looking to buy a new plasma television, and I just bought a Panasonic Viera S60 50" plasma. But, I noticed some awful line bleeding. I'm going to return it. It's difficult to see during normal viewing experience, but it's very noticeable while gaming and when watching animation. I did some research on line bleeding but I couldn't find much information. Do all current plasma models suffer from this? I read that Pioneers didn't have this problem, but they're no longer in production.

If I can't find a suitable plasma, I'll just roll LED. I love the picture plasma provides but the line bleeding just drives me nuts. Are there any out there without this problem?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Buthayna Sorrowsong
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I have two Panasonic plasmas, a P60GT50 and a P50G25, that I love and have had no problems with whatsoever.

I'd recommend exchanging it and chalking it up as an unfortunate lemon. I'm hoping you bought from Amazon?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Have you calibrated it at all? Adjusting the viewing settings on plasma is very important, and I would also suggest leaving the brightness rather low, and then gradually increasing it as the television ages. This limits the possibility of burn-in, which isn't as much of an issue with modern plasmas, but should be considered nonetheless. You may want to Google for guides on calibrating plasma televisions.

With this issue in particular, you can also try the different inputs, and see if they produce the same issue. If it is really noticeable, and not something you have to be actively looking for, I don't see anything wrong with exchanging it—but if the second one looks the same, you may want to look more into the aforementioned calibrating.

I would not buy a plasma since they are not longer being made. sooner or later support will stop for them.