1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 48 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 48 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Taruto Shippuden
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Qeomash View Post
    And how often are melee accepted into Garuda EX?
    Pretty often here. The only issue is melee paying attention so they don't get the shit Wicked Wheeled out of them.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Niiro View Post
    "one shot the big nail with LB"

vs

"caster LB the big nail then finish it off"

Variety indeed.
    Hmm no? The healers need to change their positions quite often with melees in the party to avoid blasting them away. You stand still with ranged DPS as they don't need to approach the nails.
    FFXIV requires a different strategy for each enounter, XI was the same across the board with very few exceptions.

If there's a melee in Ifrit EX, they swap, not the healers.

2 healers having to dodge a single melee = dead tanks.

Only if your healers are exceptionally bad. We never swap melee and just have healers move, shit's easy.

With a competent group the fight is easy with any setup.

When talking about stuff like this you're talking about the lowest common denominator, a melee paying attention to sear and moving accordingly is much safer than healers having to run around to accommodate DPS in what is already a massively healer dependent fight.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I'm amazed at the amount of PUG groups I've gotten that continuously wipe...

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I main DRG, and whenever I do ifrit, PUG or not, I never trust the healers to know how to swap properly, so I just pay attention to howls and DPS nails that the sear currently isn't near, or jump in quick between searing winds, get a few shots in, duck back out etc, it's not hard to be a good melee, just need to not have tunnel vision and watch your surroundings, or else you could get others killed depending on the fight, especially T5 twisters

The handful of times I've gone as DRG I do the same.

It's not about not trusting the healers, but as someone that's healed the fight many times I know how it can be if everyone isn't on the ball and I realize it's much easier for me, as a melee, to pick targets more intelligently than it is to hassle the already pressed healers for a little more damage.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Only if your healers are exceptionally bad. We never swap melee and just have healers move, shit's easy.
    Kharlan makes us stay still now and it's made the fight 90000x more boring

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

btw another maint

02/25/2014 12:25 AM
    [Maintenance] All Worlds Maintenance (Feb. 25)
    At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on all Worlds to accompany Hotfixes for patch 2.16. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
    From Feb. 25, 2014 11:00 p.m. to Feb. 26, 2014 2:00 a.m. (PST)
    *Completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
    - FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Alkar View Post
    Hmm no? The healers need to change their positions quite often with melees in the party to avoid blasting them away. You stand still with ranged DPS as they don't need to approach the nails.
    FFXIV requires a different strategy for each enounter, XI was the same across the board with very few exceptions.
    So Fafnir required the same strategy as Proto-Omega, which required the same strategy as Divine Might, which required the same strategy as Ying/Yang, which required the same strategy as Vrtra, which required the same strategy as Jailer of Temperance? What's the opposite of rose-colored glasses?

I think it's also fairly obvious that if you're comparing PUGs (because really, in an XI LS/static you could still perform as any job save maybe BST), melee DDs in XIV still face a LOT of hate. If XI had Duty Finder, it would have looked a lot more egalitarian, too.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I don't think the playstyle was exactly set in stone. 11 Kept it pretty free and Ninja is the perfect example. The playerbase turned NIN into a tank, it was designed as a DD. I used to love going NIN/DRK to everything or NIN/RDM even though the fights were built around real tanks or didn't really suit NIN. Hell, even having RDM kite Kirin is a great example of the freedom

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Qeomash View Post
    And how often are melee accepted into Garuda EX?
    For what, pugs or for FC-sanctioned events?

If you're trying to make a case that the average player only allows for X strategy, then that's literally no different than XI or any other braindead conclusion. Its always been personal, tight-knit groups that push the boundaries and experiment. Pugs just flock to and congeal around the lowest common denominator because they lack the coordination and teamwork to accomplish victory with anything else.

Who found the amazing strats to kill tough bosses in XI? Top Linkshells.

Who found the amazing strats to kill tough bosses in WoW? Top Guilds.

Who found the amazing strats to kill tough bosses in ARR? Top FCs.

I really hope you didn't mean FC runs when you wrote that.

With a competent group the fight is easy with any setup.

When talking about stuff like this you're talking about the lowest common denominator, a melee paying attention to sear and moving accordingly is much safer than healers having to run around to accommodate DPS in what is already a massively healer dependent fight.
    Fight is no more dependant upon healers as it is tanks not taking massive damage and DPS not derping. If your DPS suck you die, if your tanks suck you die, if your healers suck you die.

So don't suck.

Tanking Ifrit EX is about as difficult as tanking Titan HM, stand there, don't move, pop CDs at appropriate times.

The only additional involvement is voking at 3 stacks.

Healers need to know the the fight in and out, the massive amounts of sustained damage to the entire party during the 3rd nail phase requires actual coordination between managing sear phases, nail explosions, bouts of incinerate spam, the giant nailsplosion etc.

If a tank screws up and lets the other eat an extra incinerate, maybe that tank dies, and maybe you can't recover.

If a healer screws up and sears the party, that's pretty much always a wipe. The two are not comparable in this fight.

Compare it to Garuda EX, easy as hell for healers, while the tanks have considerably more to be concerned with.

Tanking Ifrit EX is about as difficult as tanking Titan HM, stand there, don't move, pop CDs at appropriate times.
    Nope. Unless you don't change position for plumes or move for charges. Or if you want both tanks to get incinerated or blown by eruptions/sears. Sure, just stand there it'll be fine. The difference between tanks who know what to do and when to pop CDs and tanks who do not is like night and day.

So, I guess totally like Titan HM huh?

Healers need to know the the fight in and out, the massive amounts of sustained damage to the entire party during the 3rd nail phase requires actual coordination between managing sear phases, nail explosions, bouts of incinerate spam, the giant nailsplosion etc.
    Here's how you heal Ifrit.

Incinerate? Heal, wait, heal, wait...heal. Pop a CD if ya want.

Nails? Medica 2 / Fairy buffs and/or succor.

Searing Wind? You might need to move. You might not. < This is the hardest part of healing Ifrit, figuring out whether you need to move or not.

If a tank screws up and lets the other eat an extra incinerate, maybe that tank dies, and maybe you can't recover.

If a healer screws up and sears the party, that's pretty much always a wipe. The two are not comparable in this fight.

Compare it to Garuda EX, easy as hell for healers, while the tanks have considerably more to be concerned with.
    As someone who has seared the entire party and lived to successfully beat Ifrit, I can tell you that either fuck up can be salvaged. The most dangerous time is during 3rd nails when Ifrit decides to just vomit fire, the rest of the fight I feel like I'm practically asleep.

Yes, the fight isn't hard at all except for the....hard part.

We can agree on that I suppose.

Yes, the fight isn't hard at all except for the....hard part.

We can agree on that I suppose.
    ...What? Yeah, sure. If that's what you got from it.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

[NA] FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Hot Fixes (Feb. 25, 2014)

The following issues have been addressed.

An issue wherein the servers would crash under certain circumstances.
    An issue wherein the Manor Sentry does not disappear after its HP reaches zero in the last encounter of Haukke Manor (Hard).
    An issue wherein character movement lags considerably and/or actions take an unusual amount of time to trigger in certain instances. (PlayStation®3 version only)
    An issue wherein character movement and controls are unresponsive for a brief period after interacting with NPCs or viewing event cutscenes.
    An issue wherein the graphics in certain cutscenes during the quest “The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen” do not display properly.
    An issue wherein characters appear to float in the air KXL9entarily after dismounting.
    An issue wherein transferring an item to a retainer will sometimes result in the icon of the transferred item remaining in the player’s inventory instead of disappearing.
    An issue wherein, when placing an item for sale in the marketplace, the initial cursor position is on the “Cancel” button.
    An issue wherein, when using the text command “/action(/ac)” or “/petaction(/pac)”, if a target character is specified, but that target character is not present, the game will automatically select a viable target and carry out the command.
    * With this current hotfix, if the specified target is not present, the error message “The target name you have selected is invalid” will display and the action will not be carried out. If a target is not specified, the action will be carried out automatically on a viable target, just as if the action had been enacted from the hotbar.
    An issue wherein the mouse cursor is visible when using waymarks even if "Locked to Cursor" is selected for ground targeting settings.
    An issue wherein a player's application to a free company will not be received when an application to a different free company is canceled prior to submission.
    An issue wherein the client will sometimes crash under usage of a CPU with greater than 32 cores. (Windows version only)
    An issue wherein screenshots will always be saved as “High-quality PNG” even if settings are changed to be lower. (PlayStation®3 version only)
    An issue wherein a section of Help text does not display properly on the World select screen during character creation. (PlayStation®4 beta test version only)
    Issues.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

An issue wherein the client will sometimes crash under usage of a CPU with greater than 32 cores. (Windows version only)
    I laughed.

Ok fess up who is using a mini supercomputer to play the game.