+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

If you're looking at an Optima I wouldn't even look at anything pre 2010.
    Truth. Kia's should be off the radar if you are looking at something out of, or towards the end of the warranty. Quality didn't start to increase until around 2010-2011. They get exponentially better as the model years increase from 2010.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Quixon View Post
    That is diamond stitching and is extremely hot in the automotive world right now. And there is nothing "wannabe" about that interior. It's all Nappa Leather. The only problem Kia/Hyundai have is dealing the "lolKorean Made" stigma from when they made and sold, quite literally, rolling pieces of shit in the 90's. The Japanese car makers went through the same bullshit.
    I think Kia and Hyundai are trying to toss features into their cars to win on paper, while neglecting actual quality. I was at the LA auto show a few months ago, and got to play around in the K900, which starts at $60k. It has lots of features that, on paper, make it competitive with the A8, LS, 7-series, and S-class, but the fit and finish can't even match up to the A6 (starts in the $40s) or probably not even the A4 (starts in the $30s).

One example you can look at is the gap in their body panels. The Audi A4 has ridiculously little gap between their panels, much better than even BMW. I feel that's indicative of their engineering precision.

Another thing I noticed is that the Genesis Sedan engine makes horrible grinding sounds when starting and pushed. This is me hearing it in parking lots or in my car while on the freeway. And many of them were new, so it wasn't like they were abused.

On paper, both the V6 and V8 from the Genesis Sedan look great. Good power output with respectable MPG (for naturally-aspirated engines). Their V6 gets more power than Lexus', for comparable MPG. But the refinement just isn't there (comparing to BMW's N53, for example).

And this is all coming from somebody who actively researched the Genesis Sedan, Sonata, and Optima (for my parents). So I certainly wasn't biased to start with.

Obviously, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, so I encourage everybody to make their own decisions. But do comparisons in person, and drive competing cars back-to-back, while paying attention to the little things. Try to ask the car salesman to not talk, and keep the stereo down on the test drive, so you can actually listen and concentrate on the car itself.

Unless I'm test driving a sportier vehicle, above $40-$50K..... the salesman is not welcomed in the car during the test drive. That being said there is not really anything the salesman can sell me on lol, I don't test drive any cars that I am not really interested in buying. And I do quite a bit of research before considering bothering with a test drive. Ask the dealership politely for a solo test drive. The vehicles you are looking at shouldn't require babysitting during the test drive.

(I was required to have the salesman in the car when I test drove an EVOX, and GTR. No I was not buying, or even close to buying a new GTR. I did see a used one for 60K I was considering before I bought my house though >_<;

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Yeah, any Audi, Mercedes and BMW me and/or my friend test drove, they just copied our info and tossed us the keys. Luxury brand dealerships work a different system. I would've said Acura too, but that salesman insisted on tagging along and chatting his mouth off.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Hmm interesting. I've had test drives of Audi, BMW, Infiniti, and Acura, and they always came along by default. This is in the San Jose and Sacramento area. Maybe it's just me (I was 25 then).

I think a lot of it depends on the vehicle, the client, and the salesperson. I don't think dealerships really have a specific set of rules, aside from certain vehicles.

A brand new GTR for instance, you aren't touching before they run your financials. Nor are you test driving it solo. Cars that people tend to race/beat the shit out of, fat chance of getting a solo test drive if you are under the age of 40 lol.

When I bought my car the salesman didn't even offer to come with us. He literally tossed me the keys and said, don't crash it. Meanwhile my wife's Rogue, I had to politely tell the salesman to gtfo of the car for the test drive before we left.

I try and avoid any/all car dealership shit whenever I can. I want to come in, test drive the car, negotiate a price, sign the paperwork, and leave. I figure if I am willing to take up less of the salesman's time, I don't have to feel bad when I work them down to a deal I'm comfortable with.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Adajer Vonte
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Tichondrius

Awwwwwwwww yeaaaaaah.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

grats, don't ding your door on that curb. and don't hit anyone riding a bike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4