1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 12 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 11 hours, 31 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 5 hours, 28 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 4 hours, 31 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for starting out.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Advice for starting out.

The game is on sale right now on sale, and I'm thinking about picking it up. I ended up playing a BLM in XI, and I wanted to play that in this. What race is good for that, and are the jobs basically the same? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Race does not matter, it's insignificant at best. Choose something that looks sexy for you and stick with that.

Nope the jobs are not the same. Have you played any other MMORPGs besides FFXI?

In FFXI you can basically:

Do nothing/wait for hate to build up
    Drop a big nuke
    Do nothing/touch yourself
    Kite a bit/drop a big nuke
    Rest MP/do nothing

In FFXIV you're constantly pushing buttons. In early levels you basically apply a DoT or 2, and hammer the following buttons:

Blizzard (basic damage, gives buff to recover MP at a massive rate, lets call it "Ice Mode")
    Blizzard 2 for AoE (gives Ice Mode)
    Use an ability unique to BLM, switch to "Fire Mode" which increases power of fire spells, but stops MP regen completely
    Spam Fire until no MP
    Switch to Ice Mode, recover MP/use Blizzard while recovering MP
    Switch, Spam Fire

Recommend you snoop around http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/120...r-a-new-player where Kalmado basically asks similar questions. However I'm happy to fill you in on anything I might not have covered in this thread.

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I've played XI, WoW, Rift, Tera, Eve, DDO, LoTRO, Pirates of the Burning Sea and KoTOR, to name a few. Can you switch jobs like in XI?

Also, that sounds like super fun.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

In that case you're basically playing (I think, not that I've played it before) a caster from WoW, constantly smashing buttons.

Yes, you can switch jobs in FFXI by changing your main hand weapon. Each job/class as a specific weapon they would use, and swapping to it, if the level requirement is met.

Changing job can only be done when out of battle and outside of instances.

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    In that case you're basically playing (I think, not that I've played it before) a caster from WoW, constantly smashing buttons.

Yes, you can switch jobs in FFXI by changing your main hand weapon. Each job/class as a specific weapon they would use, and swapping to it, if the level requirement is met.

Changing job can only be done when out of battle and outside of instances.
    So race really doesn't matter? Are you sure? I don't want to get laughed at for being a galka caster again....

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

The maximum difference between racial stats is like 6 points. At level 50 with even the "baseline" gear (Darklight, item level 70) you're going to have 400-500 in your primary stat. Drop in the bucket.

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    The maximum difference between racial stats is like 6 points. At level 50 with even the "baseline" gear (Darklight, item level 70) you're going to have 400-500 in your primary stat. Drop in the bucket.
    Absolutely awesome. My forum title will stay true!

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Race really doesn't matter. There are very, very small differences but they have almost no impact. There is definitely no 'lolgalka mage' etc. Lalafells tank, roegadyn cast and everyone gets to play a race they enjoy. Oh one thing to note, if you're not 100% sold on some of the hairstyles for a race you like, more are coming.

You can't change classes until you hit level 10 in your first class. You have to do your class quests (at 1, 5, 10 and then every 5 levels) to unlock it. Do those as soon as you can because you get extra abilities. I think you unlock Hunting Logs at level 5, they're a great xp source.

At level 10 you can hire a normal chocobo and you can use chocobo porters (which are like taxis/cabs). As you run around the place you will see weird looking choco NPCs at the various camps etc. Once you've visited them at a camp you can get a porter from there or to there.

You will get an airship pass as part of your main story plot at level 15.

Dungeons start at level 15 and are great xp

NPC vendors sell a lot of armour. It's worth considering taking the gil (allagan pieces) from quests on the way because gear is fairly easy to come by.

FF14 BLM is not THAT different from FF11 BLM. Besides being a lot faster, you do basically the same things (sleep, nuke, cast misc helpful spells)

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Eldelphia View Post
    Race really doesn't matter. There are very, very small differences but they have almost no impact. There is definitely no 'lolgalka mage' etc. Lalafells tank, roegadyn cast and everyone gets to play a race they enjoy. Oh one thing to note, if you're not 100% sold on some of the hairstyles for a race you like, more are coming.

You can't change classes until you hit level 10 in your first class. You have to do your class quests (at 1, 5, 10 and then every 5 levels) to unlock it. Do those as soon as you can because you get extra abilities. I think you unlock Hunting Logs at level 5, they're a great xp source.

At level 10 you can hire a normal chocobo and you can use chocobo porters (which are like taxis/cabs). As you run around the place you will see weird looking choco NPCs at the various camps etc. Once you've visited them at a camp you can get a porter from there or to there.

You will get an airship pass as part of your main story plot at level 15.

Dungeons start at level 15 and are great xp

NPC vendors sell a lot of armour. It's worth considering taking the gil (allagan pieces) from quests on the way because gear is fairly easy to come by.
    That's awesome, I'm downloading it now. Going to freaking galka smash cast on some bastards!

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I would like to point out that there are classes and jobs. The comparison I always like to make for those who played WoW is jobs are like specs. For example, THM (thaumaturge) is the class and BLM (black mage) is the job. When you level THM to 30 and ARC (archer) to 15, you get a quest where you get a stone you can equip to become BLM. A class and its job's level is connected so as you level BLM, you are also leveling the base class of BLM, THM.

BLM is to THM as arcane mage is to mage.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Berabouman View Post
    FF14 BLM is not THAT different from FF11 BLM. Besides being a lot faster, you do basically the same things (sleep, nuke, cast misc helpful spells)
    but but but there's no epic soloing, situational gear, or macros....

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sigmakan Kaph
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Galkas have no tails. You've been warned.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

All you need to know is that at 50 you get an ability that lets you move through the fucking space-aetheryte-time continuum and teleport to another party member within 25(?) yalms. You have to be careful though, who knows what would happen if two black mages tried to teleport to each other at the same time. They could end up stuck in the aether network for an indeterminate period of time!

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I started on Gilgamesh. It's been a lot of fun so far. I've been taking the currency rewards like people suggested. Is the BG fc open to forum members?

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yep. You can use the apply feature http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...91ba3f787720f1 (scroll down to submitting an application) in case no one is on that can invite.

FC = guild, unique 1 only
    LS = chatroom, can have 8

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Yep. You can use the apply feature http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...91ba3f787720f1 (scroll down to submitting an application) in case no one is on that can invite.

Is it just called BG?

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

BG isn't accepting applications.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

My profile is blocked at work but if you click on my char name under my avatar it'll take you to my page with the FC name attached lol

I thought the application thing was an open feature, guess not, so an admin must enable it. Anyways in this case try to find Septimus, he's around most of the time

Sleep Deprived Galka BLM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

So, I just sell the Alagan pieces, yeah?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast