1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 52 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 13 hours, 7 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 20 hours, 52 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice for starting out.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hezzel Bekk
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Komm Suesser Tod View Post
    So, I just sell the Alagan pieces, yeah?
    NPC them yes.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Alternatively, if you're not in strict need of gil, stash them up in your retainer (in-game mule)

They can technically be used to "transfer gil" across servers due to a gil limit for server jumping. Though the value isn't high unless we're dealing with Gold/Platinum, you'll never know. Can NPC them later/anytime anyway.

I'm not sure if there's a NPC anywhere which breaks them down or puts them together though. I haven't found one or seen any word of one.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Probably late, but you don't need to purchase gear every few levels. You can get a set of gear and ride the hell out of it for 10 levels, then update yourself, all the way to 50.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I would update at like 15ish, 25ish, then every other dungeon. Brayflox and Stone Vigil it's nice to have gear mostly up to date. Most others it's alright to lag behind.

Crosscheck market board with either XIVDB or Lodestone's search engine (http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...ide/db/item/); sometimes people on MB are trying to sell for way higher.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Most of the times I leveled stuff, I would just make sure to get the Grand Company weapon every few levels when it was available, and if I had extra seals, I would buy gear from there. Weapons are, by far, the most important thing to make sure you keep upgraded. The rest of my gear mostly consisted of random stuff I got from dungeons and maybe a few crafted items. I -could- have just crafted full gear sets for the entire way, but it just feels like such a waste with how fast you level in this game. =/

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

As I level my alt, I remember a good tip any new players should have. Save exploring for until you're high level, like in the high 40s. When you fully explore a map, you get an achievement and exp bonus. The exp bonus scales with your level so you get a nice chunk in the 40s. At 49, you need 498000 exp to hit 50. Clearing a map gives you an extra 24900 excluding the 2490 you also get from clearing an area of the map.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

This is a trivial question, but is there a way to page up in the expanded chatlog (with controller)? I can't figure out how. Even XI had this feature eventually, I can't imagine XIV doesn't...

I'm unsubbed now so I can't verify, but I think it was one of the following 3 things :

1. L1/R1
    2. L2/R2
    3. Pressing Up/Down on either the D-Pad or the control stick

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It's not any of those =/ L1/R1 (I think, can't see it while the log's open) still highlights my skills in the crossbar, L2/R2 switch between logs (general/battle/event) and Up/down on control stick moves char/camera as usual. Up/down on D-pad scrolls up and down, but the extremely long way. I would have thought that left/right on Dpad while in chatlog would page up or down but alas. No response.

Press select until the cursor is pointing at your chat log, then press triangle to expand the chat log.

Sassy Tyrant
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Falisa Asile
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    The maximum difference between racial stats is like 6 points. At level 50 with even the "baseline" gear (Darklight, item level 70) you're going to have 400-500 in your primary stat. Drop in the bucket.
    Whoa whoa whoa. There is one important race difference. Lalafells can't reach 7k HP on paladin without allagan weapon and they couldn't at all before 2.1! This is a very important bullet point.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The real advice there is not to be a taru. They're not even cute

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Falisa View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. There is one important race difference. Lalafells can't reach 7k HP on paladin without allagan weapon and they couldn't at all before 2.1! This is a very important bullet point.
    Sounds like inferior Dunesfolk problems.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Warren Castille
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    This is a trivial question, but is there a way to page up in the expanded chatlog (with controller)? I can't figure out how. Even XI had this feature eventually, I can't imagine XIV doesn't...
    To my knowledge, the only way with the controller is the slow way. Enjoy holding in Up for a while, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Seravi Edalborez View Post
    Sounds like inferior Dunesfolk problems.
    Nope.

But I'm known to be exceptional.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Press select until the cursor is pointing at your chat log, then press triangle to expand the chat log.
    I know how to expand the chatlog, I wanted to know how to page up or down in the expanded log, thanks though XD

Quote Originally Posted by Lyall View Post
    To my knowledge, the only way with the controller is the slow way. Enjoy holding in Up for a while, I guess.
    Thanks, that's disappointing. I hope they patch it soon.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Another dumb noob question. The hotbars are really driving me insane.

When I started the game my hotbar (1) switched automatically when I switched classes.

Then I started poking around and fixed my SMN hotbars (1,2,3) to how I want them. But now, when I switch class, the same 1,2,3 bars from SMN are still there. Replacing the skills with ones from a new class replaces them when I switch back to SMN as well. The only bar I want shared between my classes is 8 for out of battle buttons - and it's the only one I have selected for "sharing" in the menu. It's confusing to me that my 1,2,3 are not selected as "shared" hotbars but they still show up on my other classes as the SMN ones. WTF did I do that keeps it from changing to say, Thaumaturge skills when I switch to Thaumaturge now? And how do I fix it? Thanks in advance, I have poked at every option and still haven't figured it out myself

And there are absolutely no in-depth guides that explain all the hotbar options, least none that I have found. I guess it's supposed to be a no-brainer or something so maybe I'm just stupid.

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Try checking and unchecking options to wipe the slate.

Just to be sure, make sure you checked the bars on cross, not the non-cross.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

I've done that too. No luck.

[edit] figured it out, was just my own idiotic fault for lacking reading comprehension. Thanks for the help

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Matic Valefor
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    I know how to expand the chatlog, I wanted to know how to page up or down in the expanded log, thanks though XD

Thanks, that's disappointing. I hope they patch it soon.
    its really a quality of life thing that should have been addressed pre-launch. but the OF would rather the devs spend time on bigger miqote butts* and negligibly noticeable shader issues involving gear dying**.

*because dev team totally is going to redo the models a second time.
    **a technically valid complaint but i presonally can't be bothered to give a shit