1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 13 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 10 hours, 38 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 6 hours, 21 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 3 hours, 38 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice for starting out.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

who cares about miqote butts let's talk about hyur butts pls

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Hello, I've reached level 41 on DRG, and wondering what I should be aiming for as I hit 50? I've been saving most of the random quests for when I level other jobs. I just got the game a couple weeks ago. Very fun so far. I love the duty finder. I've been keeping my weapon updated with my grand company, and gear as I can with my rank (Third rank in the second set now).

So, hoping I could get some direction on things I should be preparing for as I near 50. Besides just leveling another job, and another, and another.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Just enjoy the journey to 50 and the many quests that open up once you get there. Don't forget your job quests.

After getting to 50 and finishing up your jobs quests, is when you need to start thinking about the more advanced stuff, the end game stuff if you will. When you're ready, check out this TL;DR guide by Seravi: http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/119...agoon-Advanced. Learn the rotation and go out to a combat dummy and hammer it into your head.

Other than that, I recommend thinking about working on a second job. It gets tough when you're limited to just one role. There won't always be an open spot for a melee, so it's a good idea to have a second role (range DPS, healer or tank) at the ready.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

At 45 you'll get access to your AF armour (with the exception of your bodypiece which you get at 50). Then from 49 there's a lot of main storyline. At 44ish you can start doing Beastmen quests and I recommend you do. You get a small amount of tomes, xp and money from them and they're quick to do. It took me a long time to get into them but now I'm trying to play catchup.

At 50 you'll be unlocking a lot of dungeons, Crystal Tower, Hard Mode Primals (including Leviathan and King Moggle), Ultima HM and more. You will be able to start a relic weapon if you want. I suggest you do the Hildebrand quests when you can too so that you unlock Battle on the Big Bridge. It's hilarious and one of the things you need to unlock a Duty Roulette category (Trials).

Don't rush is honestly my advice. You can get ilvl55 gear in Wanderer's palace and Amdapor Keep. You can get ilvl60 in Haukke (HM), Copperbell (HM) and Pharos. You can get i70 gear in Brayflox (HM), the other Amdapor and Halatali (HM). Mythology and Soldiery tomes which drop from various trials and dungeons (starting late 40's) can be used to upgrade a relic weapon and to buy ilvl 90+ armour. Crystal Tower is a 24 man raid and drops i80 armour. Once you beat Ifrit, Garuda and Titan HMs you can get access to Coil which drops i90 armour. The HM primals themselves drop decent weapons. You need ilvl70+ for Coil (I think it's 73 for Turn 2 and goes up). King Moggle HM drops i75 weapons and is simple.

To get to Leviathan and King Moggle Extreme, you'll need to not only beat the HM Primals (Titan, Garuda and Ifrit) but to beat the Extreme versions too.

The second part of Coil opens up once you've beaten the first 5 turns.

You're not going to run out of things to do!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmakan View Post
    Galkas have no tails. You've been warned.
    But we have women now. Fair trade.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

So didn't really want to start an entirely new thread for this, as I feel like it doesn't totally warrant it; but let's say you've been using hte Entry Payment method for.. a while now, since FFXIV:ARR started and want to make a mule/second character. You obviously have to use the Standard payment method. The standard method is two dollars more expensive than the Entry, but the 180 day method is the same price, but you just have to pay the large bulk payment up front. How would you go about switching from Entry to Standard? Do you just cancel, then renew under Standard (180 Days)?

It's sooo veiny

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arch Dizzle
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    So didn't really want to start an entirely new thread for this, as I feel like it doesn't totally warrant it; but let's say you've been using hte Entry Payment method for.. a while now, since FFXIV:ARR started and want to make a mule/second character. You obviously have to use the Standard payment method. The standard method is two dollars more expensive than the Entry, but the 180 day method is the same price, but you just have to pay the large bulk payment up front. How would you go about switching from Entry to Standard? Do you just cancel, then renew under Standard (180 Days)?
    You should just be able to go to mogstation and under payment method or whatever its called click the standard option and the 180 package. I dont know how/when it will overwrite your entry sub to allow for the retainers though.

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDizzle View Post
    You should just be able to go to mogstation and under payment method or whatever its called click the standard option and the 180 package. I dont know how/when it will overwrite your entry sub to allow for the retainers though.
    Not interested in the extra retainers; I still use the default two. Mostly just want the ability to create another character or whatever.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Hit 50DRG, should I buy one of these i70 polearms? One is CRIT or the other is Skill Speed. I'm using the Flame polearm, str, Vit, acc and determination. They are both HQs, 150,000 each, both STR VIT ACC. Both have 3 more dmg than mine.

Also, I skimmed while googling, but how the heck do you advance beyond Second Flame Lieutenant?

Thanks again for all the help guys. Oh, and, I never bothered to look, skill points, I found where to reset them, but on DRG I did +8 VIT, then the rest into STR. Is there an ideal setup I should've done? Advice on this same topic for WAR and PLD too, I'm leveling those as well.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

2nd Lt is cap for now.

The i55 spear should probably be fine for doing your relic (i80), but if you want to blow gil on a temporary upgrade, sure (you won't be able to sell it back).

You reset by buying The Keeper's Hymn from your Grand Company and using it. The ideal set-up is +30 STR for DRG

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Thanks for the hasty reply! I'll hold on to my spear then, and look up this relic one.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

I'd only buy the polearm if it's cheap. You can get equivalent or better lances for free from primal fights.

Rocl covered the rest.

Lostbane
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mexi Lostbane
    FFXIV Server
    Siren
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Relic weapon is a good thing to do because it gets you a far better weapon and there are always people running the fights that are needed along the way. The weapon will really help pull up your ilvl for higher level content.

WAR and PLD are generally 30 VIT but an argument can be made for 30 STR or a mix thereof.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nicholai Tankyou
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I recently returned after a hiatus, anyone on the bg ls/FC wanna give me a rundown of whats changed since like last fall tonight sometime? Send me a message <3

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/commen...nged_since_20/

apparently that stops @ 2.2...

Can always go to lodestone and search "patch notes" and go down to the News & Topics section...

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodest...?q=patch+notes

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

So two unrelated questions I had:

1. I just turned fifty, how crazy should I go buying ilvl70+ gear? Is most of it going to be obsolete soon as I start running 50+ dungeons or will ilvl70 stuff get decent mileage?

2. Still new to tanking (gonna be next job I bring up) Which of the two tanks is more conducive to DPS stacking (aka STR+30 allocation) if any?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Running dungeons will get you i55/60/70, stuff (depending on the dungeon), so it's your call whether or not you want to buy it. I would at least look for cheap-ish i70 stuff. Once you're done with it, you can churn it into T4 materia, which is always nice. If you go in with just AF, you might find yourself kicked out of some runs because people are impatient. Start buying i90 gear with myth asap.

You'll find more WARs with STR spec than you will PLDs. Generally WAR takes the off-tanking role so they can get by with STR spec a lot easier. In the grand scheme of things, WAR/PLD DPS is quite similar, but WAR has the reputation of doing more damage.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Generally WAR takes the off-tanking role so they can get by with STR spec a lot easier. In the grand scheme of things, WAR/PLD DPS is quite similar, but WAR has the reputation of doing more damage.
    I wouldn't say they're spectacularly different, but WAR pretty definitively does more damage than PLD, especially on its own. It's got higher potency abilities, constant 20% buff/debuff (PLD can make use of it too, but they have to rely on a WAR to have it on).

A quick 3 minute dummy parse of my very similarly geared WAR and PLD (89 and 90 respectively, both with 95 weapons specced 30 vit, full vit accessories) says 214 and 201 respectively. Again, nothing earthshattering, but that's a solid 6-7% differential while being 1 ilvl lower.