+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine Protest     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Crimea gets all of its power and water from Ukraine, they could just cut them off.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Xno Kappa View Post
    Texas voted to join Mexico.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

So what you guys are saying is I need to buy a new fucking map?

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

So Russia has passed annexation, in the eyes of Russia and Crimea, Crimea is now officially a part of Russia. They've moved their clocks ahead an hour to match Moscow time, and changed their official currency to the ruble.

Obviously the entire rest of the world does not recognize this and still considers Crimea to be part of Ukraine. That said, unless somebody wants to actually get physical with Russia, I don't see anyone actually doing anything about this in a way that will have a real impact in Crimea. I do wonder if the asset freezes on rich Russians are causing some pressure on Putin, or if everyone's behind him.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Who cares? It was their choice.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

Unless there was large evidence towards vote tampering/pressuring then ya - the Russians culturally infiltrated a region that democratically voted for seccession from Ukraine. Don't know how well the nation's constitution is written to prevent secession, though.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm convinced the treaty signing was a last ditch effort to avoid taking Crimea by force .

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kuronosan View Post
    It was the majority choice, which did not include the minority ethnic Ukrainians that still live in Crimea, or the Tartars which were systematically treated like trash by Russia back when Crimea was part of the SU.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Yeah the Tartars are pretty much feeling like they were just forced into a stockholm syndrome situation with people who ruined their families' lives

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Wait, the people of Ukraine voted in a free and fair election to give part of their country to Russia?

I heard this situation was developing quickly but I totally missed that one.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Wait, the people of Ukraine voted in a free and fair election to give part of their country to Russia?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/cri...y-for-l,35548/

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    So Russia has passed annexation, in the eyes of Russia and Crimea, Crimea is now officially a part of Russia. They've moved their clocks ahead an hour to match Moscow time, and changed their official currency to the ruble.

Obviously the entire rest of the world does not recognize this and still considers Crimea to be part of Ukraine. That said, unless somebody wants to actually get physical with Russia, I don't see anyone actually doing anything about this in a way that will have a real impact in Crimea. I do wonder if the asset freezes on rich Russians are causing some pressure on Putin, or if everyone's behind him.
    Last I looked, which was admittedly like 2 weeks ago, I think Russia's stock market and the rubel have not been doing well lately. Also, in regard to it being their choice.. Not sure how anyone can think it was a legit election with numbers that are in the 95-97% range. Generally, elections over 70% are considered to be rigged (unless it's an election for who loves kittens or something..).

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

Also, I was talking to my friend yesterday, and there are concerns that Russia will move to take over large chunks of eastern Ukraine on the same grounds they used to annex Crimea -- Russian speakers, it was stolen from them, etc. I'm on my phone ATM, and so too lazy to look up the map, but the concern is that they'd try to claim just about everywhere that supported Yanukovich -- those who remember the map, it was the south eastern half of Ukraine.. Her family lives in Odessa, so they basically grabbed anything important and headed west.

BG Level

Crimea is a sovereign state, last time I checked.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Crimea is a sovereign state, last time I checked.
    They are only recognized as a sovereign state by Russia. The entire rest of the world considers them declaring themselves sovereign from Ukraine to be against international law.

BG Level

Wait, so they don't have a right to declare their sovereignty?

Seriously, help me out here. Why can Israel land grab and it's fine because fuck Palestinians but Crimea can't say "fuck Ukraine"?

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Wait, so they don't have a tiny to declare their sovereignty?

Seriously, help me out here. Why can Israel land grab and it's fine because fuck Palestinians but Crimea can't say "fuck Ukraine"?
    because the world powers need israel lol

edit: and because they have an enormous army

BG Level

Wait, so they don't have a right to declare their sovereignty?

Israel's land grab was a violation of international law too.

The American South tried to declare their sovereignty too at one point.

Crimea isn't a sovereign state, hasn't been for a very very long time. It was part of the soviet union, and then part of Ukraine.

I'm not sure if you're being daft to make a point or just don't understand the reality of the situation.

BG Level

Israel's land grab was a violation of international law too.

The American South tried to declare their sovereignty too at one point.

Crimea isn't a sovereign state, hasn't been for a very very long time. It was part of the soviet union, and then part of Ukraine.

I'm not sure if you're being daft to make a point or just don't understand the reality of the situation.
    Pretty sure it's option B. I've always been under the impression that Crimea wants to be a part of Russia, and as such it was their right.

What I find frustrating is people knocking at me (not here) because my wife is Russian therefore communist. I can assure you, whether people realize it or not, that the Russian people are not happy with this in the slightest and are quite subject to bullshit propaganda from a bullshit leader.

BG Level

You realize that the vote didn't even have an option to choose "stay with Ukraine" right? It's completely invalid for determining the will of the Crimean people - and even if it was, it is up to all of Ukraine, not just those Ukrainians who live in Crimea, who should be voting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast