1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 1 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 22 hours, 28 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 18 hours, 31 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 15 hours, 28 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kirby Prime
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

All of you guys got ninja'ed by that bump ... ... I'll let myself out.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo THF...it was my fave class back in FF11! YOSHIDAAAAAAAA! How could you do this to me?

Not fitting in the lore sounds like a BS reason to me. Maybe they just don't want to include THF and gave a face-saving excuse. Yeah I did see the armor but a man can't hope can't he?

Yes I'm currently unsubbed so I don't mind waiting.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Rogue is supposed to satisfy ppl looking for thf
    If only going as a class instead of a job was advantageous for more than at best one class, then I could maybe put some faith into that statement.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Malekos View Post
    They said thief wouldn't fit in the lore, so bury those hopes next to mine. Rogue is supposed to satisfy ppl looking for thf...you see the armor in the class reveal pics?

Comment makes no sense. No one outside of Warriors use their base class for anything. Rogue is just a base class, thus won't be used in the current metagame for anything significant. *Ninja* is in the game to simply fit the Rogue archetype. It could have been Thief or Ninja; they went with Ninja to better fit the story line.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

A repeat of what has already been said. Rogue is just a renaming of thief. It has been stated by Yoshida that lore wise, rogues were once thieves that rose above the thieving ways to become what they are now known as rogues.

Slycer's excellent translation of the E3 interview transcript said as much. http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/122...ons-(6-10-6-12)
    The Rogue is a class based on Thief classes which fights with a dagger in each hand. Because their skills are learned at guilds in the cities, it was thought that the name "Thief" wouldn't really fit, so Rogue was chosen. Also, the back story will be that the group were once thieves, but no longer, so the "Rogue" name was chosen.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Comment makes no sense. No one outside of Warriors use their base class for anything. Rogue is just a base class, thus won't be used in the current metagame for anything significant. *Ninja* is in the game to simply fit the Rogue archetype. It could have been Thief or Ninja; they went with Ninja to better fit the story line.
    Since we're all jumping on this necro...

No reason they couldn't have gone the arcanist route and made both thief and ninja jobs off rogue.

And wtf @ "they learn @ guilds in cities so the name thief wouldn't fit", exactly how many RPGs have a "Thieves' Guild"? Tons.

OP's question can no longer even be answered due to who-knows-how-good buffs coming to BLM.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Maybe if the game setting is like Warcraft or Guild Wars a Thieves' Guild would work, but not for a Final Fantasy game. It's more, family-friendly for lack of a better term, compared to other games. In Eorzea, a guild is a public place for adventurers to learn a profession. Seeing as its meant for the betterment of the city state, a guild to teach people thieving ways wouldn't really help them.

Of course, thief have been a series staple so who knows.

Regarding OP's question, I hold the position that, if you play the DPS role, it's best to have 2 or more jobs geared up to fulfill different roles. That way you won't be locked in just one role. Most party composition wants one melee so if you have just DRG or MNK leveled and the spot is already occupied, then too bad.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Skai View Post
    Maybe if the game setting is like Warcraft or Guild Wars a Thieves' Guild would work, but not for a Final Fantasy game. It's more, family-friendly for lack of a better term, compared to other games. In Eorzea, a guild is a public place for adventurers to learn a profession. Seeing as its meant for the betterment of the city state, a guild to teach people thieving ways wouldn't really help them.

Of course, thief have been a series staple so who knows.

Regarding OP's question, I hold the position that, if you play the DPS role, it's best to have 2 or more jobs geared up to fulfill different roles. That way you won't be locked in just one role. Most party composition wants one melee so if you have just DRG or MNK leveled and the spot is already occupied, then too bad.
    Family-friendly? There's a reason there's a warning about sexual themes in this game, there's kind of a few rape references in quests here.

To quote Rick, "We don't white-wash it either, Morty, I mean the pirates are really rapey."

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ah yes, you're right.

I still think it's because
    In Eorzea, a guild is a public place for adventurers to learn a profession. Seeing as its meant for the betterment of the city state, a guild to teach people thieving ways wouldn't really help them.
    though.

Well, Marauders are supposed to be pirate types, but they don't literally teach you how to be a pirate. But guilds are for classes anyway and learning how to be a Rogue (not thief), is fine since if THF is a job you'd learn it from a dude anyway.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I agree it's a bs reason that shows their imagination is limited in really weird ways, but that's what they said. Rogue won't satisfy ppl that want thief, for the reasons mentioned, but they're obviously trying to make it so.

I mean, an archer starts putting a harp on their bow. But rogues can't find a way to be thieves again. And you know, ninja is such an honorable profession.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Skai Aetheris
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Hah, very true.

Yeah, the bow-harp thing looks cool but it doesn't make a whit of sense. I also thought that THF could just branch off from rogue. And I agree that ninjas are hardly honorable.

Also ITT - THREAD! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISEEEE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Well, Marauders are supposed to be pirate types, but they don't literally teach you how to be a pirate. But guilds are for classes anyway and learning how to be a Rogue (not thief), is fine since if THF is a job you'd learn it from a dude anyway.
    Right, you'd basically learn to be stealthy for honourable reasons and to slay monsters even though you're not brawny, blah blah blah, get partway thru the class storyline and a guy in the shadows says pssst, did you think about how you could make some gil off this trade?

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rokazulu View Post
    Playing bard right now, kinda fun but I hope they are decent in pvp.
    as a healer i like having them around.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by haroldsaxon View Post
    I, too, like 3 month old bumps.
    I too like even more necro bumps

So this is a trend now?