1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 4 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 19 hours, 41 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 21 hours, 18 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 12 hours, 41 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me decide - Monk, Black Mage or Bard for main?

So I have my Monk almost in full DL, but I also enjoy playing Bard and Black Mage. The reason I am thinking of switching is that there is precious little demand for Monks (at least on my server) and it seems almost everyone wants a Bard or Black Mage in their party for most higher-level content (basically Coil, as there is not that much other high-level content at this moment)

I enjoy playing all 3 classes, so it's not a huuuuuge deal to switch, although of course my Monk is the most geared currently. I'm kind of concerned that upcoming content will require Bard/BLM...since Bard has songs and BLM has Sleep and Monk has difficulty keeping up GL all the time.

What do you guys think?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsu Kiyome
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Play what you find most fun.

Each has pros and cons and there are fights where one is more useful than the others. Just pick which is most appealing to you.

MNK - strong single target damage over a long period of time, challenging to play effectively compared to other DPS
    BLM - strong AoE damage, good burst damage
    BRD - lower but consistent damage no matter the fight, average AoE, good utility

Don't worry about playing what is "in demand" either unless you're really that paranoid about it. I have an i90 MNK and I don't ever let anyone talk me out of not being a MNK to clear content. Keeping up GL3 in "harder" fights isn't really a big issue once you get comfortable on the job and learn a few tricks. Of course there's times where you lose GL3, but that's what you have Perfect Balance for. Pick and choose when to use it, it's a really powerful tool.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

"Full DL" isn't saying much anymore, so I would suggest gearing them all out in full DL and a decent weapon. If you're able to find a coil static, gear whatever job fits their group the best, otherwise I can't really give a suggestion. One DPS is another DPS is another DPS.

BLMs don't sleep anything in coil, and I doubt that'll change in 2.2.

Turtle Apprentice
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kame Aoren
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

You should play whichever job you enjoy more.
    Also form your own party, all jobs have almost the same dps.

Professional Lurker
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I agree with Tsu, play whichever is more appealing to you. People tend to like ranged DPS more because it makes most fights easy mode and there's less chance for error but melee dps can certainly do anything in this game once they learn the fight. I also agree with Raldo too, DL is so easy to get now it should be mandatory and not play a factor in deciding which job to play next.

Personally, I fucking love BLM. I loved it in 11 too. Seeing 2k+ crits roll on your screen is a badass feeling. As much as I love to play it, I generally have to go WAR for my coil and ex statics so just do whatever your group needs and gear whatever you want to play on the side

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

If you liked them all equally I would say lvl BLM. Pretty much useful in every fight currently. BLM also shares a ton of gear with SMN making you more flexible.

BRDs are a dime a dozen and MNK while awesome in the right hands doesn't fit well into every strat.

Well I like MNK slightly more than the others but I like the rest too. Yeah at this point full DL is like beginner's gear but that's all I have right now, I don't sub every month due to work issues.

BLM seems fun, I might stick with that. I usually don't play caster classes in games so it could be a change of pace for me.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Play them all? I have 5 jobs geared for coil on one character, with no melded gear... including all 3 of those. They may have slowed people down from gearing all their jobs the first couple months but now there is plenty of gear/options to gear everything up. Monk and BLM need very little myth gear, so you can gear them in that quickly and get CT/Allagan(w/e you get to coil) for those two jobs and spend the rest of your myth on BRD which needs a bunch of Myth. They are lifting the cap on myth soon supposedly as well, so that won't be an issue either.

The best way to be versatile is to have multiple jobs.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Go PUP

PUP is too OP, gonna get nerfed soon if not I would do that. Or DRK.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Melchior Ballester
    FFXIV Server
    Cerberus
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I think it is all about personal preference, there is currently no fight where any of the job you mentioned couldn't be used. Unless your goal is just to win parse in one or two particular fights you should go with whatever you prefer.
    That said, versatility is always welcomed.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

If you want to cover all bases so-to-speak, do a melee DPS and a ranged DPS. In fights like Titan EX, having a DRG or MNK (or 2) is great. In stuff like Garuda Ex, Coil, BLM and BRD both have their place depending on strategies. Be ready for anything. Echoing the versatility comment above.

If you want true versatility, you do one melee DPS, one ranged, one tank and one healer! For real though, at least one ranged and one melee.

All jobs can do all things, only problem is general player perception which is based mostly on bads.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I don't really like being in melee range, but I've got all the DPS jobs leveled. BLM is my main. BRD and SMN are the next-best geared. Sleep isn't really high on the list of why people want BLM DPS, its the AOE damage. BRD's got its songs which occasionally can be very helpful, access to a lot of damage boosting cooldowns, and it can do alright AOE too. I'm not really a big fan of SMN, it just happens to benefit from hand-me-downs from BLM. Both BLM and BRD are easy to play when it comes to their rotations. Whereas DRG and MNK take a little more finesse to cycle a lot more skills and work positioning and dodging.

Maybe I'm lazy, but I like having a low amount of responsibility as a ranged DPS, keeping my distance and firing off as much damage as I can. I played higher stress jobs in XI. With the amount of dodging going on in XIV and lack of <stnpc> macro targets, I'm not going to ever enjoy being a healer (although I have them leveled too). Likewise I'll level my tank jobs solo, just to have for acheviements and to dress them up on the side.

Play what you like.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I would go for Bard, BLM gets extremely samey after a while.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Harold Saxon
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I, too, like 3 month old bumps.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Ninja :D

Suddenly I saw that bump. >_>

I have decided that I will probably go Ninja after all, like half of the FF14 population. Well actually it depends on what Rogue/Ninja will be like. At least I'll have Rogue at 50 for when Thief arrives.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

Enjoy your 4+ month wait.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Berabouman View Post
    I have decided that I will probably go Ninja after all, like half of the FF14 population. Well actually it depends on what Rogue/Ninja will be like. At least I'll have Rogue at 50 for when Thief arrives.
    They said thief wouldn't fit in the lore, so bury those hopes next to mine. Rogue is supposed to satisfy ppl looking for thf...you see the armor in the class reveal pics?