FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

More Shield stuffs. Block rate caps and block DMG -

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Many things in FFXI are a set of different linear equations that are valid over different domains. It would be unsurprising to find out the same is true for Shield Skill. So, say you get +1% block rate/4.5 Shield Skill up to a certain point, and then +1% block rate/9 Shield Skill above that.

The level correction thing isn't that hard to get around. It may just not exist for things weaker than you (similar to the pDIF level correction.) Like, if the monster's is lower level than you, use your level instead of the monster's level in the equation above.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    So, say you get +1% block rate/4.5 Shield Skill up to a certain point, and then +1% block rate/9 Shield Skill above that.
    Is the certain point here a block rate value or a skill one? If it was a straight block rate value, then it seems strange for Ochain to have the same 1%/4.5 when it's about to cap.

Maybe the value is a certain amount of block rate % above the the shields base? that could explain Ochain anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    The level correction thing isn't that hard to get around. It may just not exist for things weaker than you (similar to the pDIF level correction.) Like, if the monster's is lower level than you, use your level instead of the monster's level in the equation above.
    But, if we were starting out using my lvl rather than the mobs, shouldn't I get the same block rate as I did vs an even match with base skill? 45% vs 70% Although the 45% was tested on EM at lvl 90. Not sure where to find lvl 95 mobs to test on.

In any case, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martel View Post
    But, if we were starting out using my lvl rather than the mobs, shouldn't I get the same block rate as I did vs an even match with base skill? 45% vs 70%
    This is true... but the bonus from it still looks like it is capped somehow, though. Something like:
    Block Rate = (Current Shield Skill - The skill a capped Paladin would have at the Monster's level)/4.6 + Base

If Block Rate > 75%:
    Block Rate = 75% + (Current Skill - Capped Skill for your level)/9