BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cure DMG vs undead     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Cure DMG vs undead

This may already be known, but i couldn't find anything on it in the various wiki's.

I was messing around while waiting for holy circle recast during those tests, and I starting cure nuking the mobs. After messing with my gear a bit, I noticed that cure potency gear appears to have no effect on cures aimed at undead mobs.

Healing Skill+ also has no effect. While skill can add very small amounts to normal cures, adding ~50 skill didn't change DMG vs undead at all.

I tired adding some MAB gear, and that did have an effect. Seems like Cures vs undead are treated as nukes, with, I assume, healing skill determining M.acc.

Not that cures make for very good DMG vs undead anyway, but I thought that was interesting. They do have super fasts cast times/recasts though. I'd love to see a WHM solo some Undead NMs by cure nuking them to death. lol.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Just realized that cure spells might be using a weird alternative formula for damage on undead rather then just the formula for healing with some percentage of damage knocked off, particularly based on this post.

Having some testing numbers on cures when used as offensive spells would be a start.

Questions:

1. Do cure spells use a different formula when used offensively on Undead mobs?
    2. If cure spells use a different formula, what affects them? Does Cure Potency, Mind, Vitality, Healing Magic, Magic Affinity, or Magic Attack Bonus affect potency? Does Magic Accuracy and Healing Magic affect accuracy?
    3. Assuming cure spells act like any other nuke, what are the Base Value and Multiplier numbers?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

I was tired of evisceration and this looked easy, so:
    Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    Just realized that cure spells might be using a weird alternative formula for damage on undead rather then just the formula for healing with some percentage of damage knocked off, particularly based on this post.

Having some testing numbers on cures when used as offensive spells would be a start.

Questions:

1. Do cure spells use a different formula when used offensively on Undead mobs?
    2. If cure spells use a different formula, what affects them? Does Cure Potency, Mind, Vitality, Healing Magic, Magic Affinity, or Magic Attack Bonus affect potency? Does Magic Accuracy and Healing Magic affect accuracy?
    3. Assuming cure spells act like any other nuke, what are the Base Value and Multiplier numbers?
    1. Yes
    * 45 damage Cure with or without Arka IV : Cure Potency does not - Martel already checked this
    * 47 damage Cure with Stoich. Medal instead of nothing on the neck : MAB does - Martel already checked this
    * 45 damage Cure with Morgana's Choker. 45 damage Cure with no equipment on. : If MND does, there are dMND caps like for black magic.
    * Martel already checked Healing Magic Skill.
    * Pluto's Staff does affect it (45 -> 37 damage), so I assume Apollo's would too.
    At this point I realized that my target had MDB and ditched.

Confirmed that Cure dMND caps at dMND=50
    101 MND + Ixion Cape (MND+5, VIT-5) still gives max Cure 1 damage against a 54 INT target, so if VIT matters at all then it matters less than MND. I doubt it matters, though.

3)
    Cure I : Initial B/M Unknown, Cap = 39 damage at dMND = 50 (a lot like Stone)
    Cure II : B 35, M 1 :: Inflection point at dMND = 60 (M is halved)
    Cure III : B 70, M 1
    Cure IV : B 140, M 1.5
    Cure V : B 210, M 1.5
    Cure VI : B295, M 2

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Thanks for testing the cure numbers. Sorry for being so redundant with previous testing, I was just being needlessly thorough, while being a bit lazy and just asking other people to test (it was mostly not wanting to have to dig up information on how to get base/multiplier values).

If I had to guess based on this information alone, I'd probably guess Cure has have the base power of Cure II, or possibly less given the 39 number, given the official numbers on Stone (42 at dINT+100), and my probably ignorance with magic damage currently.

I was going to go and add these numbers to BGwiki's pages for the individual cure spells, but you seem to already have that covered too, although your number for Cure II seems to conflict (35 here, 30 on the wiki). I'm not sure which is the typo, so I'll leave the wiki as is for now.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Sorry, 35 was correct.