+ Reply to Thread
    Alarial

Should I be a Google Glass explorer?

So I was selected to be a Google Glass explorer, and I was wondering if anyone else here had one or if anyone had any useful comments on trying it out.

The money isn't trivial to me, but I am excited about the possibilities.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Do it and sell them on ebay.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

What would you hope to get out of it? What is your background?

If you talk about that then I'm sure people could help you tease out the pros and cons.

My co-worker has it, and some observations I could make is that:

You are going to be looked at all the time.
    People are going to ask you about it. all the time.
    People are going to feel anxious about talking to you or being in your line of sight if you are wearing it (I've asked him not to wear it in the office for example, are you comfortable with making such concessions?)
    Where do you live?

These points generally attribute to the 'how anxious of an individual are you? and, might you be at risk of an anxiety disorder if you were piloting it hardcore'.
    Personally, I generally don't appreciate the spot light so the idea of everyone staring at me and talking to me about an item on my head would get old super fast, and I can imagine that alot of peoples (mine included) would be modified solely because of it.

That of course would also interact with my values (among tons of other variables I imagine) of "loving pioneering technology" and "being involved/contributing" with it.

Alarial

Well I didn't put my specific intended uses or background because I want to hear other people's perspectives on how THEY have used it and what they think, without hypotheticals into how practical it would be for me personally (I can do that myself).

I'm concerned that:

It will be uncomfortably heavy (I don't even like wearing sunglasses).

It won't be as useful since I'm an iPhone user and it doesn't work as well with non google devices.

The consumer model will be out for probably less money later this year.

It getting old fast (meaning it's exciting at first, but once i've brought it around a bit it becomes just a gimmick..)

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Also note that it's banned in a shit load of places. Be prepared to have to take them off all the time.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Alarial View Post

I'm concerned that:

It will be uncomfortably heavy (I don't even like wearing sunglasses).

It won't be as useful since I'm an iPhone user and it doesn't work as well with non google devices.
    I really don't think it's for you based off of these alone, so unless you are into something very interesting, sport or media related, I'd pass especially since it's not trivial cost wise.

They've been out long enough now that they are just plain annoying to most people and you're gonna catch a lot of flak wearing them.

Leader of the Brain Eating Space Monkeys
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    Also note that it's banned in a shit load of places. Be prepared to have to take them off all the time.
    Police are also quite funny about them too

Just don't be a glass-hole

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    Just don't be a glass-hole
    Awful

On a serious note, unless you want them for a specified purpose you will get old with it super fast. The novolity won't last long... If sit down and try to think of a few real legitimate reasons you could use it for. If not, then I'd pass until, as you said, the much cheaper consumer model is out.

As others have said you won't be able to use it in a LOT places. Pretty much anyplace that knows what it is will ask you to remove them