+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

@Cream, like mentioned above people metabolise drugs differently....but you must be some peculiar specimen if you felt nothing after 6 a day (even at a low dose...). 2 Vicoden to an opioid naiive person should certainly have 'some effect' (not saying you should have felt high as a kite; although, I recall taking 30mg of codeine (which is like water in comparison to Hydrocodone) for dental work/ hangover and I'm as spaced out/zonked).

Also how long were you taking the medication for? I'm not sure on the exact parameters of physical dependence, but its a few weeks-> 90days. I'd be very shocked if you told me you were taking them for 90days consistently and then stopped completely with no effect.

@Callisto. Its interesting that yeah, prescription opioids have hit white middle income people alot more than other epidemics. Personally, I couldn't afford to have either an opioid addiction or worse, to then try to pay for treatment (which would be alot more expensive).

But, theres an Irish saying "Sure, He'll always find money for drink though, wont he?" and its pretty true. If I wanted my 80$ extended release oxycotin, i'm sure i'd find the money for it somewhere.

@MadDogBen, I'm sorry to hear about this. Misery loves company, and unfortunately addiction wrecks havoc on relationships/friendships/family.
    It can be hard to process, and it can be easy to blame 'character traits' or 'the person'. Its also easy to think that you can then do something to stop the addict getting access to whatever they are looking for. However, the more you do those actions the more it disheartened you get when they dont work...and you become burned out from dealing with the person....and then...stuff that they generally need like social support from people who aren't in the addiction scene get thrown out the window. Making them less likely to quit.

Its certainly not an easy thing to deal with and is something that is shared completely by the community.

As an aside: I'm always so impressed by the ingenuity of those who abuse medications and the efforts they go to to get the medications.

“It’s such a thin strip they’ll put it in the Holy Bible, let it melt and eat a page right out of the good book,”
    (Talking about smuggling in bupe into a prison, by dissolving it on the bible then eating the page of the bible.)

or getting over the abuse-deterring effects of Nalaxone (in bupe) by lying ass up with a glass vial in their ass with water and bupe mixed together.

Candidly, I've wondered if I could frame the Israel/Palestine; world hunger; Ukraine / Russia; cancer issues in a way that addicts will think that if they solve them that they'll get their pills.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

@Cream, like mentioned above people metabolise drugs differently....but you must be some peculiar specimen if you felt nothing after 6 a day (even at a low dose...). 2 Vicoden to an opioid naiive person should certainly have 'some effect' (not saying you should have felt high as a kite; although, I recall taking 30mg of codeine (which is like water in comparison to Hydrocodone) for dental work/ hangover and I'm as spaced out/zonked).

Also how long were you taking the medication for? I'm not sure on the exact parameters of physical dependence, but its a few weeks-> 90days. I'd be very shocked if you told me you were taking them for 90days consistently and then stopped completely with no effect.
    About a month; and I've never smoked weed or done drugs, so I had no feeling of high to relate it to, but certainly didn't feel any different or get any enjoyment from it. Again, just slightly-moderately reduced pain

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mist Monster
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I survived a brain aneurysm about 6 years ago, the aneurysm caused me to have a stroke as well. There was NOTHING they could give me for that kind of pain. I was on a schedule of morphine and ‎Percocet every 4 hours staggered. I was intensive care 26 days on this schedule of meds. When I was able to leave the hospital 32 days later, I think they backed of the morphine but I wasn't completely off of it. All it did was make an insomniac a little sleepy and by that point I wanted to leave the hospitable BAD so everyone was happy when I was sleeping lol. I know in my paper work they said I would need rehab or therapy to get off the drugs but they sent home with me OXY and Percocet (because I still had blood in my brain where is wasn't suppose to be and at time could be very painful)

I still have the full bottles to this day. I just took ibuprofen when it got bad

I don't know, for my situation, I may have been a candidate for something stronger.

I don't know any opiate abusers, just alcoholics and pot smokers. I certainly was exposed to them for a good amount of time but they didn't really do anything for me.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Weed has always worked well for chronic pain in my back and neck, though i wouldnt call it severe pain. I have been prescribed things like tramadol in the past but when I take them I always feel sick, so I typically took them before bed. I stopped doing that because I was waking up after 6 to 8 hours of sleep still feeling fucked up and sick. I can't really imagine(or want to for that matter) taking anything stronger than tramadol or hydrocodeine after feeling like that with "mild opiods." I'm sure if you're in fuck tons of pain though your mentality quickly changes to give me whatever will stop it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Cliron, can you share your full fb rant? @Q@;

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Monica MA Gov. Deval Patrick made my day today.

Used emergency powers to allow first responders to carry and administer Narcan (nalaxone).
    Used powers to temporarily ban Zohydro (whaaa)
    Pledged 20mill on addiction services.

Snap guys, this guy means business. Be glad to have him.

http://rt.com/usa/massachusetts-decl...ampaign=buffer

Massachusetts declares public health emergency over heroin overdoses and opioids addiction
    Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick declared a public health emergency in the state concerning the rising numbers of heroin overdoses and opioid addiction – even moving to ban a controversial new painkiller.

In an announcement Thursday, Gov. Patrick directed the Department of Public Health to take several steps to lower the number of deadly incidents. According to the governor’s statement, the number of unintentional opioid overdoses increased 90 percent between 2000 and 2012, and at least 140 people have died from suspected heroin overdoses in the last few months.

"We have an epidemic of opiate abuse in Massachusetts, so we will treat it like the public health crisis it is," Patrick said in the statement.

Noting that painkillers often act as a route to heroin addiction, Patrick said he has temporarily banned the sale of the new drug Zohydro until it’s proven that the necessary safeguards are in place to prevent abuse.

As RT reported previously, the hydrocodone-only Zohydro was approved by the Food and Drug Administration against the recommendation of its own health advisory panel, and has been singled out by doctors for its potential ability to cause a spike in overdoses.

According to the Boston Globe, Patrick called Zohydro “a potentially lethal narcotic painkiller,” while the Associated Press noted the governor’s concern that since the pill can be easily crushed it’s likely to be abused.

The makers of the drug at Zogenix defended their product to the AP, saying Patrick’s decision will be to the detriment of patients who are hurting.

‘‘The simple fact is that any medication, including opioid pain relievers, presents a danger to the person misusing or abusing it,’’ the company said, though it also stated steps to protect against abuse have been taken.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BaneTheBrawler View Post
    isn't aspirin also a blood thinner? p. sure that's why i can't take it. and also because something something something liver damage something something.
    Aspirin is actually a platelet inhibitor. It knocks out cyclo-oxygenase, part of what activates platelets when clotting takes place.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

ah yes, i forgot about massive blood loss.