1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 11 hours, 24 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 12 hours, 35 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 4 hours, 24 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 5 hours, 35 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Fake View Post
    lolno

lolfine, sorry if I used the wrong term lol

Again its a dumb argument. You guys are nitpicking something we all agree is useless at this point. The only examples you'll find of qualified people pushing parry/dex are people also pushing for world first accomplishments. (BGs t9, DoTs t13 etc)

Simple google search finds numerious definitions of eHP. Maybe we should state references after each forum post.

"EHP means Effective Health Pool or Effective Hit Points and are used to describe how much damage can I take before dying. This stat is not visible in game but can be calculated from actual hit points and damage reduction stats coming from armor, resists, skill, items and being melee class (30% damage reduction). Dodge also increase EHP but it’s a stat based you can’t rely on (especially on hardcore) so I wouldn’t count it in.
    (source: http://d3facts.com/ehp-what-it-is-and-why-its-important)

I will give you an example. Let's say you have 10k hp. You are hit by an enemy for 11k physical damage. That means you die right? No, cause if you implement damage reduction from your armor which is for example 50%, then the total damage you are inflicted is 5.5k. That means you live. EHP is calculated from you HP as a primary factor, and then from all your resistances, block chance, armor damage reductions. You can even calculate dodge as EHP as it gives you an x percent to evade an attack and not be hit."

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I don't think anyone's arguing that they aren't forms of EHP. I think the argument is that they're not at all appreciable forms of it

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsudoku View Post
    I don't think anyone's arguing that they aren't forms of EHP. I think they argument is that they're not at all appreciable forms of it

Fake's post seemed pretty clear by what he meant. Probably just bandwagoning.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

The fact that Parry does not increase your eHP is its main pitfall. It does not push you above certain thresholds for surviving Death Sentences and similar attacks. In the long run, it will reduce the damage that you take and the amount of healing you will require, but it does nothing for increasing the threshold of what can or can't kill you.

In any case, any conversation about secondary stats is splitting hairs. If DnT's Paladin decided that 2% Parry chance was more valuable than 2% Crit chance or 1% flat damage boost, this decision will probably be inconsequential to getting World 2nd, 3rd or 4th. We don't know how many 0% wipes they had that would have been earlier kills if he itemized differently and we don't know how many times a Parry saved his life in an attempt that would end up crucial to their learning.

There are so many factors and variables here. So, to conclude that "If there is a guide for the fight you don't need to stack parry" and perpetuating this idea that defense is for learning and offense is for farming makes no logical sense to me.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sir Taint
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by bokchoykn View Post
    The fact that Parry does not increase your eHP is its main pitfall. It does not push you above certain thresholds for surviving Death Sentences and similar attacks. In the long run, it will reduce the damage that you take and the amount of healing you will require, but it does nothing for increasing the threshold of what can or can't kill you.

In any case, any conversation about secondary stats is splitting hairs. If DnT's Paladin decided that 2% Parry chance was more valuable than 2% Crit chance or 1% flat damage boost, this decision will probably be inconsequential to getting World 2nd, 3rd or 4th. We don't know how many 0% wipes they had that would have been earlier kills if he itemized differently and we don't know how many times a Parry saved his life in an attempt that would end up crucial to their learning.

There are so many factors and variables here. So, to conclude that "If there is a guide for the fight you don't need to stack parry" and perpetuating this idea that defense is for learning and offense is for farming makes no logical sense to me.

Understood.

Its "My" rule for gearing. When I'm brand new to a fight I gear more defensively, by the time I'm comfortable I'm rocking as much STR as possible. Others opinions will differ.

Secondary Stats and You:

Step 1: Do you have enough ACC?
    No-> Get enough ACC
    Yes-> Proceed to step 2

Step 2:

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthars Menethil
    FFXIV Server
    Chocobo
    FFXI Server
    Odin

STILL WAITING FOR STEP 2!!!!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Scrappy Doo
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

wrong game if you're expecting more complexity in gearing

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

step 2 is stack det for mad deepz on pld with sword oath.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bokchoy Mcnuggets
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Turn 13 Parse

This was w/ i130 weapon. The boost from i115 is massive. Almost 10% more.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

http://puu.sh/dovJm/687ff6c2bd.png

T10 as main tank, i120 weap. Finally switched up my parse columns from the default.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ellatrix Reatori
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Why is PLD OT doing no damage?

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Didn't stance change much in last phase due to the numerous deaths, spammed Stoneskin excessively.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Renori Ironer
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Re: Progression stats

Most/all of the paladin tanks in the guild will gear towards avoidance for progression and switch straight back to crit/det afterwards. It was important to minimize damage through any means to allow our WHM's to near-solo-heal and the SCH to pump DPS where possible. You can also consider that shield oath is a flat 20% damage reduction which somewhat diminishes the value of DPS secondaries and tank DPS where a scholar can DPS without any road blocks.

New Merits
    BG Level

http://puu.sh/dptJd/73773bde8c.png

Had to spend pretty much entire last phase as MT since shit luck with heat lightning, should have been able to do more still tho, I think (WAR).

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Eludi View Post

Had to spend pretty much entire last phase as MT since shit luck with heat lightning, should have been able to do more still tho, I think (WAR).
    Are you looking for advice? What's your ilvl/weapon? Do you not normally main tank?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

really hate pugs "can't wait to find static ; ;" should be higher but no brd really starving on TP

http://i58.tinypic.com/20i82df.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

My Turn 11 dps is always shite. Tanking Gravity Node and always end up playing on the conservative side in final phase. I thought you had a static?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rozaria Eleanor
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ramset View Post
    My Turn 11 dps is always shite. Tanking Gravity Node and always end up playing on the conservative side in final phase. I thought you had a static?
    broke 4 weeks ago, tbh i think its for good, failing in DPS and mechanics started to irritate me super bad

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cage Rancor
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    broke 4 weeks ago, tbh i think its for good, failing in DPS and mechanics started to irritate me super bad
    Ah, that sucks. Hopefully you find a competent group soon. At least you're beating T10 and 11. Are pugs beating T12 yet?

Also for T11... Do you tank weapons node?