+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

BG Parents: Potty Training (Oh God, it's time)

YEP. My daughter seems to be really interested in using the toilet. We went out the other day and got her a potty chair (Cars one as she is obsessed with that movie currently.) Put it across from our toilet, and she'll come and sit down on it when I sit down.

Except, I don't really know where to go from there. Using the interwebs and everyone wants to teach you how to "potty train in just 3 days!" and shit. 1. I am in no rush for her to train. I know this is a good time to start since she is interested but that doesn't mean she needs to know it by tomorrow. 2. A lot of these fast methods want you letting them run around naked from the waist down, which I'd like to avoid if possible as we have wall-to-wall carpet in our home so it'll be harder to clean up accidents. 3. Since I have a newborn it'll be harder for me to catch her in the act and react instantly.

My husband IS home for about three more weeks, so I guess this is as good a time as any. I also don't mind being consistent, just don't want to rush/push.

So, what methods did you use to potty-train your kids? Suggestions on books/websites to use?

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

water bottle

Bitchfist
    The horn knows no mercy; only wrath

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Indalecia Salavachere
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Do it like an animal, rub her face in it if she goes on the rug and point at the toilet. She'll get the message.

I just set up the little potty in the bathroom and she would sit down when my wife and I were in there, getting her to not go in her diaper during the night was the toughest part. I wound up having to carry her to the potty right before I went to bed around 12AM, it took probably a month of doing this till she learned. She had 3 accidents after that but that's what waterproof mattress covers are for I guess.
    I made a little chart leading up to a reward for using the potty and had star stickers in the drawer close by, each time she used the potty have her add one star, each time she did not we removed one star, mini prizes in between start and her end prize.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Hard Mode: Ex-Lax and jalapenos.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

As Nightbreed stated, buy her a mini-me potty and sit it next to the one and your hubby use. My son would follow me in whenever I would have to go. After once or twice seeing me do bizniz, he followed
    suit. That's the easy part...hard part is getting them off the overnight pull-up. Took my son about two months before he was successful.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

My sister has had success with the making-them-run-around-half-naked method, and all me and my gf did for our son was just set alarms for every 30 minutes we were at home, gave him an m&m for trying for 5 minutes, then really praising/rewarding when he went. We had maybe 5-7 total bed wettings. We've been slacking in teaching him to wipe himself, so we are getting on that now, and it's harder than any other part of potty training.

BG is my LJ
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lovely Nirokun
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I don't have any advice, I'm just glad you're keeping up the oversharing in my stead.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    My sister has had success with the making-them-run-around-half-naked method, and all me and my gf did for our son was just set alarms for every 30 minutes we were at home, gave him an m&m for trying for 5 minutes, then really praising/rewarding when he went. We had maybe 5-7 total bed wettings. We've been slacking in teaching him to wipe himself, so we are getting on that now, and it's harder than any other part of potty training.
    1 m&m? Y'all slave drivers.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    water bottle
    Naturally.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Put newspapers near the door. Wait what are we talking about again ?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

First off, I wouldn't even start until she has enough bladder control to wake up from a nap dry. After that, it's all about getting her into the habit of going to the potty when she feels like she needs to, not drinking anything 2-3 hours before bed, and going before leaving the house or going home.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I don't understand the whole "train in 3 days" thing. Why put your kid under so much unneeded stress and pressure? Some parents are wacky.

I just say don't put too much pressure on her. My son was really interested in the potty right when he turned three but whenever he said he had to go and I'd take him to the bathroom, he never really wanted to, so I came to the conclusion that he just wasn't ready.

Another sign to watch for is that she'll tell you when she's already gone, and being wet is uncomfortable for her, enough that she'll tell you right away. Around the same time as my son showed interest, he really didn't seem to care about being wet, which I think was part of the barrier. Is she telling you that she has to go? Does she recognize that feeling?

I'd just say take it slow and pay attention to her cues. I don't really understand the rush some people make of it, personally. My kids moved to Mexico with their dad before I was really in the thick of potty training, but I was all about taking it slowly and not pressuring him to use the potty.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Just wait until she turns 10, and by then she will just know how to use the toilet because she got smarter and can understand better.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

or she can change her own diaper

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Guyverarmor View Post
    As Nightbreed stated, buy her a mini-me potty and sit it next to the one and your hubby use. My son would follow me in whenever I would have to go. After once or twice seeing me do bizniz, he followed
    suit. That's the easy part...hard part is getting them off the overnight pull-up. Took my son about two months before he was successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakson View Post
    d all me and my gf did for our son was just set alarms for every 30 minutes we were at home, gave him an m&m for trying for 5 minutes, then really praising/rewarding when he went. We had maybe 5-7 total bed wettings. We've been slacking in teaching him to wipe himself, so we are getting on that now, and it's harder than any other part of potty training.
    Thanks for the info guys. Questions: Did you use pull ups during this time or underwear? If pull-ups, when did you feel it was ok to switch to underwear? Also, in regards to wiping when using a potty, did you not really start teaching them to do it on their own until they were using the real toilet?

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I don't understand the whole "train in 3 days" thing. Why put your kid under so much unneeded stress and pressure? Some parents are wacky.

I just say don't put too much pressure on her. My son was really interested in the potty right when he turned three but whenever he said he had to go and I'd take him to the bathroom, he never really wanted to, so I came to the conclusion that he just wasn't ready.

Another sign to watch for is that she'll tell you when she's already gone, and being wet is uncomfortable for her, enough that she'll tell you right away. Around the same time as my son showed interest, he really didn't seem to care about being wet, which I think was part of the barrier. Is she telling you that she has to go? Does she recognize that feeling?

I'd just say take it slow and pay attention to her cues. I don't really understand the rush some people make of it, personally. My kids moved to Mexico with their dad before I was really in the thick of potty training, but I was all about taking it slowly and not pressuring him to use the potty.
    Ya, I am not trying to pressure her, just that all the signs are there, so I don't want to stagnate it either if she is ready. She does announce when she's gone, she'll grab her diaper and say "poop!" all the time.

So far she loves running to the potty and sitting on it and hitting the car button, but she always seems to go in her diaper THEN wants to sit on the potty rofl. I don't mind though, as long as she's getting used to it and finds it fun, I don't want to stress her out over it. I do plan on making a huge deal of when she actually manages to go at the right time so she gets a better idea of what to do.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    [...] got her a potty chair (Cars one as she is obsessed with that movie currently.)
    I'm so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    She does announce when she's gone, she'll grab her diaper and say "poop!" all the time.
    Be sure to film this. Prime material to horrify a teenager with.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    I'm so sorry.
    It's better than the alternative atm. She got hooked because netflix has a 30 minute video of short stories with Mater that she wanted to loop over and over and over...needless to say at least Cars is almost two hours long lol.

It was actually pretty funny when we went to get it. We wanted something non-princess related so we could use it for Corben, too. Which came down to the Cars one and an Elmo one. My husband picked up the Cars box to look at the details and she just flipped her shit. Trying to grab it and crying, "Cars! Cars! Cars!" So ya, that decision was easy lol.

I am not surprised, though, as the word "car" was one of the first she said so I can see why it's appealing to her. Plus the characters in the movie make huge facial expressions which makes her laugh.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Cars and poop are two of her favorite things, huh? That could make for some amazing pranks later in life.

She might shit through a rolled-down window one day, is what I'm saying.