+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Aviation puns. There aren't many, so take what you can get.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The lack of smoking actually bothers me a bit, but otherwise seems like a solid representation of Hellblazer style Constantine.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

it's fucking ridiculous that NBC has no problem airing a guy cutting off and eating pieces of his own face, but god forbid someone have a smoking problem

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

His character is already supposed to be lowlife scum, his chain smoking adds to it.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

It's not like it's getting glorified either. "Gee, I could've never exorcised that demon if I wasn't in flavor country!"

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

just because you're not being hit over the head with it doesn't mean it makes no impression. little kid sees constantine smoking in all his scenes, being a badass. when he goes to mimic him, what's he gonna do? roll up a piece of paper and pretend he's smoking. maybe even steal some from his mom's purse and actually smoke them.

kids are fucking idiots. there is a conscious effort to erase smoking from public media completely, the idea being that the less common it is in media, the less likely it is that kids will pick it up.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

it's almost like kids who are so young and easily impressionable shouldn't be watching a show about a guy fighting the forces of hell
    think of the kids? fuck that, that's the parents' job

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Impressionable youths will just have to settle for learning Latin, lighting things on fire, and saying bollocks alot I guess.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

i already did two of those things

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

And I'm assuming you don't speak Latin.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

Quote Originally Posted by Qalbert View Post
    it's almost like kids who are so young and easily impressionable shouldn't be watching a show about a guy fighting the forces of hell
    think of the kids? fuck that, that's the parents' job
    what makes you think the parents are any smarter

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

well obviously they're not, but my damn entertainment shouldn't be hindered because there are bad parents goddamit

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

is constantine not smoking really going to hinder your entertainment? would you rather your idiot coworkers cropdust their cigarette cloud all through the office every 15 minutes for the rest of eternity?

small price to pay, imo

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thing is (and the movie got this right, one of the few things) his smoking is a major plot point for a huge portion of the comic. Besides his occasional quest to find a fresh pack leading him into a situation, the lung cancer story was a huge overarching plot.

And really it's just a key component of the character because his addiction and the general social stigma of smoking plays into his general archetype of a lowlife degenerate.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

the show would legitimately be a better interpretation with it, but ultimately I don't really care and I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking, I was just pointing out the weird american standards for violence, but a titty or a cigarette means shut down everything

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

always hard to tell with you, qal.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's not affecting whether or not I'd enjoy the show, but it seems like a stupid thing to leave out for the sake of TV standards. It was fine for Chandler fucking Bing to light up for awhile, but not scum of the earth Constantine.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz

BG Level

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Delirium Shatterstar
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Spoiler: show
    did Constantine say fuck off to that angel(Michael from Lost) or did not hear properly?

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

http://www.avclub.com/article/consta...lead-ch-206805
    Though the series premiere of Constantine is still set for Oct. 24, producers are already making some dramatic changes by stubbing out the character played by True Blood alum Lucy Griffiths, like a cigarette you won’t see anyone smoking. Griffiths had already starred in the pilot—and was featured prominently in the trailer—as Liv Aberdeen, daughter of one of the paranormal investigator’s old friends, and one of the show’s overarching plotlines was meant to follow her awakening to the supernatural, after a whole lot of quavering at the supernatural. But now Liv has been written out entirely, with the show replacing her with a character taken from the original Hellblazer comics: Zed, Constantine’s former lover and a powerful sorceress in her own right.

Explaining the decision to remove Griffiths’ character and replace her with someone less naïve, executive producer Daniel Cerone tells Entertainment Weekly that the network wanted a character with attitude, who’s edgy, who’s “in your face,” etc. etc.:

When you put a wide-eyed innocent into that world, she’s just very reactive... Zed is actually one of the first women Constantine meets in the comic books, and she has various psychic powers. We felt ultimately she’s going to service the first season better as someone to pair Constantine up with. She can get in his face a little bit and have some of her own realizations and skills and really push him. But if whoever Constantine is working with is constantly on her heels, that just wouldn’t service the show really well.