+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It's the art style. Takeuchi's manga emphasized soft and thin in order to make everyone look graceful and elegant. I think it's beautiful personally, but have yet to see how it will translate over into animation.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

26 episodes disappoints me because that means were definitely not going to see the outer senshi.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Always a season 2+

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Sho View Post
    Is it just me or do they look super anorexic skinny? >_>
    First thing I noticed tbh, along with their janked up faces.
    Not like i'd watch it anyway, but would be nice if they included the other S girls along with Chibiusa.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

People are right, though. That's a lot more how they look in the manga. I imagine since they were doing a remake they decided to make it as close to the manga as possible, including the art style.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm not really feeling this remake as of yet. While I watched and enjoyed the entirety of the original series, I don't prefer the new art style, even though I'm also aware of its being more truthful to the manga. It isn't as if I'm not one for change, but I do agree that the classic anime's proportions are much more realistic. On top of that, once the trailer was released, I was completely underwhelmed by the Generic Anime #2036 theme song. The disappointments keep coming.

I'm not really feeling this remake as of yet.
    I have little faith in Toei when it comes to remakes, or just bringing back old glories. They always set for mediocre quality as the entire operation is mostly a cash-grab.

Hokuto no Ken remake movies, past the first one, had terrible animation quality. And they were movies, not OAVs.

Saint Seiya Elysium arc, plus the entire Omega series, featured some terrible episodes with embarassing quality.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Realistic proportion isn't a thing anime is known for from the get-go. You might wonder how we got used to seeing eyes bigger than a character's hand, hair that consistently defies gravity, or tits too massive to lend credence to the supposition that the girl they belong to could possibly still be standing upright.
    Unrealistic proportions can still look good to people. But if this particular style doesn't look pleasing to you personally, then I guess there's no helping it.

Judging by the short preview, it's not the proportions that turn me off but rather something in the design (the face or the linework maybe). It doesn't look soft and graceful, it looks over-polished and too bright. Gotta give it a fair chance though. I was against the new My Little Pony for how far removed its art style and everything else was from the original, but now I love it almost as much as the old one.

Following the manga storyline, 13 episodes could actually take us to where the original first season ended, I think... with 26, the Phantom story could possibly be squared away as well.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    Realistic proportion isn't a thing anime is known for from the get-go. You might wonder how we got used to seeing eyes bigger than a character's hand, hair that consistently defies gravity, or tits too massive to lend credence to the supposition that the girl they belong to could possibly still be standing upright.
    Unrealistic proportions can still look good to people. But if this particular style doesn't look pleasing to you personally, then I guess there's no helping it.
    Similar falling-outs have happened between me and my enjoyment of other studios' work, too, like CLAMP's anime as the years went on. "Cardcaptor Sakura?" Great. "Tsubasa Chronicles?" Waiting for someone's arm to snap off. Besides their just becoming more jumbled and generally crappy overall, the transition from slender to stick figure rendered me unable to suspend my disbelief any further. A particular aesthetic is one thing—I can get into highly stylized work—but the otherwise generic presentation of this remake isn't selling me on the whole package.

Style is one thing, and doing something just to do it is another. I feel this is the latter, leaving it an empty parroting of the original mangaka's pencils.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Thanks kohan for reminding me how badly the dub of Cardcaptor Sakura is and how I won't get to watch it with my daughter until she's older because of it. Thanks.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

If you're willing to drop some dosh

Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Premium Edition
    http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/acti...e=813633013831

Contains episodes 1-70.

This premium edition includes a 76-page, full-color artbook featuring Tomoyo's diary of Sakura's adventure and character illustrations!

Special Features: Clean Openings, Clean Endings.

Spoken Languages: English (mono only), Japanese, English subtitles.

Note: Each episode features both English and Japanese audio, and is unedited.

Note: The Blu-ray English subtitles on this release can not be turned off.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Thanks kohan for reminding me how badly the dub of Cardcaptor Sakura is and how I won't get to watch it with my daughter until she's older because of it. Thanks.
    I'm sorry to hear you've ever watched it at all. Good on you for keeping her away from it until she can watch the proper version, though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    I'm sorry to hear you've ever watched it at all. Good on you for keeping her away from it until she can watch the proper version, though.
    I watched the sub first. But I remember flipping past it on tv and wanting to rip my ears out over the voice they gave Sakura. I am actually pretty lenient about dubs, but I could tell within five seconds that the dub for this one must be horrid. I can only imagine what they did about her brother and yuki

Oddly enough I think I may favor the Sakura series over sailor moon. I think it's 'cause Sakura isn't a whiny cry baby. I love them bought though.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Insanecyclone View Post
    If you're willing to drop some dosh

Cardcaptor Sakura Blu-ray Complete Series (Hyb) Premium Edition
    http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/acti...e=813633013831
    Sorry, double post. Is that a redub or the tv version?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

It's probably not a re-dub, but the TV version did a lot of chopping to make Shaoran seem more like the main character (since the block CCS ran in was full of boys' shows too iirc). They also, of course, did heavy editing of the episodes and removed a lot of stuff. So the BD version is uncut and unedited, but I doubt the actual dub voices are much different between the two versions. Don't know for sure though, as I tend to avoid dubs as much as possible.

@Kohan: Tsubasa Chronicle / XXXHolic art is horrendous. It works a little better in manga, but not by much. I just can't handle the suuuuper loonnng limbs, and it's especially bad in episodes where the animation budget is low cause then you get some really grotesque monstrosities lol.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It's using the Animax dub, which was shown on its English-language networks in Southeast Asia and South Asia and was apparently faithful to the original Japanese names and dialogue. It's floating around on Youtube, if anyone wants to check it out.

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...55044127854592

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I wondered, Kachiko. I read on ANN that the company didn't have the rights to the dub of that we all know of Card Captor Sakura, so this is not a surprise.

My brother has the original subtitled version (that's rare and expensive now too) and I might get this new version later since I like that too. :D

@Kohan: Tsubasa Chronicle / XXXHolic art is horrendous. It works a little better in manga, but not by much. I just can't handle the suuuuper loonnng limbs, and it's especially bad in episodes where the animation budget is low cause then you get some really grotesque monstrosities lol.
    The style of xxxholic is great, not to mention it's fun to read. I haven't seen much of the anime but you can't be hating on this:

Granted the style might be hard to get into, but it works for how surreal it is. At the very least it serves to set it apart from similar shit. Not speaking much for Tsubasa since I could never get around to reading it.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Eh, just find some of the episodes where the animation quality goes down the toilet and you'll understand. The limbs go from "elongated" to "why God, why are they still going?"

Eh, just find some of the episodes where the animation quality goes down the toilet and you'll understand. The limbs go from "elongated" to "why God, why are they still going?"
    Now you're just making me curious, though I'm reluctant to watch it just because I've read the manga and it doesn't seem like the anime adds much overall (apart from the ED).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast