+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Now you're just making me curious, though I'm reluctant to watch it just because I've read the manga and it doesn't seem like the anime adds much overall (apart from the ED).
    You'll have to put aside the fact that the TV series incorporates zero Tsubasa content, which changes some of the stories, but otherwise, it does a good job of capturing the essence of the manga. The OAV/Movie are much better; a mix of canon and non-cannon but I found them all to be good. The various OP/ED are some of my favorite songs; Suga Shikao is great, if you like his style.

Back on topic though <_>

Extended English Subtitle video released and airing information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eUiewJt80eQ

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The same trailers have showed up on CR without that information.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-mo...bgm-ver-655889 <<longer with the new background music
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/sailor-mo...r-z-ver-655891 <<original

I think Viz must have a bit of a deal with CR or we wouldn't see these trailers there.

[Edit] I point blank asked on Twitter here about the original SM for ya Canadian fans. They are working on it, so here's to hoping! I hope that isn't a canned response.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So pretty o_o

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by octopus View Post
    So pretty o_o
    o_o ^ what he said.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Sugoi! I can't wait for this to come out.

From that sequence, the only difference from the manga is no goggles/glasses/whatever in her first transformation. (In the manga, she had some goggles/glasses she was continually tossing away once she found the other Sailor Soldiers.) But..they left that out in the original anime too so I have np with that. ^^

Also the music for the henshin is very much like what you'd hear in a Pretty Cure; they may be using the same writers. Toei does both so I have np with that either!

I can't exactly say I'm in the same boat as Kohan but after watching the leaked footage of the opening, the transformation scene and the trailer I'm feeling more and more uncertain as to how this remake is going to turn out. There are a few things I have seen that I do like. The art style resembling Takeuchi's manga style does impress me, even though I prefer the original versions style. Judging from Venus holding her 'beads' in all the pictures and videos we see, it is safe to assume that many elements from the manga that never appeared in the show will be popping up for this remake.

What really has thrown me for a loop is their choice of music and how they decided to animate the transformation sequence. I'm extremely disappointed that Toei has chosen to forsake the moodier and upbeat jazz-rock motif of the original series for what seems to be a mix of J-POP and angelic choir? I have to agree with Kohan, the opening sounds generic. 'Moonlight Densetsu' would have been the perfect choice for an opening. Not to mention a change of pace from the generic anime openings but I doubt Toei would have allowed the song to be used without giving it the J-POP treatment. As for the transformation scene? Well, it's CGI. I don't really have much to say other than it looks wrong and breaks the flow of the animation. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it mind you. It's clear they were trying for a slightly different approach but man it really isn't working for me.

Regardless, I will be tuning in to see this. I can only hope my expectations are proven thunderously wrong.

With that, I leave the awesome Moon Crisis Make-Up! BGM music. Skip to 0:38 for the rendition with the saxophone.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Sharv View Post
    I can't exactly say I'm in the same boat as Kohan but after watching the leaked footage of the opening, the transformation scene and the trailer I'm feeling more and more uncertain as to how this remake is going to turn out.
    I'm practically checked out at this point. So much of the transformation scene takes place "off-camera," and the weakness of the silhouette is made plainly obvious when the details are taken away. My first thoughts while her shimmering arm was shown were "Adventure Time," not PSSM. Does that merchandising include a bendy-armed Usagi? I now have to genuinely wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharv View Post
    As for the transformation scene? Well, it's CGI. I don't really have much to say other than it looks wrong and breaks the flow of the animation. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it mind you. It's clear they were trying for a slightly different approach but man it really isn't working for me.

Regardless, I will be tuning in to see this. I can only hope my expectations are proven thunderously wrong.
    Pretty much this. I didn't mind the art style as much as others, but the CG just threw me off and is just ughhh, ugly. It'll be funny as fuck if they repurpose the CG animation because then what's the fucking point of CG.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Truthfully, I'm just disappointed in this remake, and I haven't even seen the first episode. To avoid being critical without providing any contrasting examples, however, I'm going to present what I think is a case of a revival done right, and I'll do it using the most concrete thing we've got so far: the opener.

As mentioned earlier, I feel that the PSSM remake's opener is abhorrently dull. It doesn't have a distinct sound that you'll expect to hear homages to in subsequent songs, if there even will be any; it isn't a unique composition, but is about as phoned-in and by-the-numbers as you can get; and perhaps worst of all, it doesn't embody any of the whimsy that the original soundtrack did, which was positively packed with music. Essentially, a precedent was set, and the successor is not even trying to meet it thus far.

The anime I'll be using as a comparison point is also known for having a tremendous amount of aural accompaniment, even if a lot of it is overused throughout the show. Some of the pieces are stellar, while others are so-so, but everything musical it's known for has a distinct, recognizable feel. Thankfully, when the series was revisited about a decade later, full respect was paid to what was established, leading to the creation of an aural aesthetic that was right out of the '90s, yet still entirely exhilarating today.

PSSM original opener versus remake opener:

Spoiler: show
    Original PSSM's "Moonlight Densetsu" (third season version, 1994):

PSSM remake opener, 2014:

My chosen contrast, the opener of "Slayers NEXT" (the second title in the series, released in 1996) and the opener of "Slayers Revolution" (2008 franchise revival):

1996:

2008:

There's really no reason for the PSSM remake to be this garbage. I would really love to be surprised, but that opener is already set, and I'm not going to hold my breath.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

All I could think of with watching the new "leaked" footage was how terrible the CGI was :/

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Thanks kohan for reminding me how badly the dub of Cardcaptor Sakura is and how I won't get to watch it with my daughter until she's older because of it. Thanks.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I wanted to respond to that with a photo of a balding crossplayer I used to know, as they always went to cons as Sakura, but I can't find any. Damn.

I will return if I'm ever triumphant.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, not a fan the CGI or the opening either Will check it out anyway to see if I can keep watching after an episode or two.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    OLD

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    OLD
    Great reminder of why, if it's on the internet, it's PERMANENT.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ha. Anyway you guys, that transformation isn't unusual for today's toei. I wasn't surprised, not after Suite Pretty Cure. VERY obvious CGI in those henshins. I think they used the same folks for the Suite henshins for SM Crystal, to be honest.

Prolly even the same people did both henshins.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

The opening theme is done by Momoiro Clover Z, a cosplay idol group with a sentai theme. They are EXTREMELY popular in Japan: one of two female groups ever to hold a concert at Nissan Stadium, one of the largest in Japan (the other being AKB48). Their actual group makeup is almost like that of the sailor senshi anyway (color-coded group of schoolgirls), and their material is generally geared towards those kinds of shoujo/shounen anime themes. They're quite good performers and really fun to watch, hence their popularity. They did a comedic parody of the original theme on some JP show XD

Knowing this, I am A-OK with the opening, I don't think a better group could have been chosen for it. Thing is, it's NEVER going to be as iconic as Moonlight Densetsu. How could it be? Nothing beats nostalgia, and it was a damn good song to boot. But I believe Moon Pride has strains of what made the original show's music special, I at least can hear it and I have no qualms with it.

They could either have redone Moonlight Densetsu for the fifty-thousandth time or made a new song. And just speaking for myself, I've heard MD more than enough times for one lifetime! I love it, but I have no need for another version of it; it was already featured in all the PGSM media up until the live action version came out (which also had Jpop songs as OP/ED/insert songs). Plus, most anime OP/ED themes are performed by pop groups looking to advertise themselves - it's been that way for years now, I don't see why it's surprising to anyone.

I think the animation is beautiful, even if there's still something slightly off in the character design for Usagi for me. I feel bad for Kotono Mitsuishi's voice, isn't she in her 40s by now? And still making that ultra high-pitched vocal tone, ugh XD

My only complaint is that fucking CGI henshin. The henshin sequences were one of the best things about the original PGSM. Seeing the characters transform was always so cool, and the ways they switched it up throughout the seasons were awesome. But this is so, so blah... I just want to skip over it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast