FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I still think this looks really good/pretty and will definitely be watching, but yeah, transformation scene seems off with CGI stuff. =/ Good thing we don't have to see those often!....oh wait.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I thought the beginning was fitting that you just posted. OW Usagi's butt!

Anyway, I still maintain it's the Pretty Cure animators. Take a load of this that I found on the Pretty Cure wiki; this is one of the first Suite Pretty Cure henshins: (You'll proly notice what I mean)

So yeah. I know who did that..

And yeah slightly OT but Suite was one of the good Pretty Cure series so I don't think they're going to ruin SM Crystal; the henshin might be a little WTF? if you weren't expecting it (I think that was the first time they used very obvious CGI) but the rest was great on Suite Pretty Cure. That's why I'm not too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    I thought the beginning was fitting that you just posted. OW Usagi's butt!

Anyway, I still maintain it's the Pretty Cure animators. Take a load of this that I found on the Pretty Cure wiki; this is one of the first Suite Pretty Cure henshins: (You'll proly notice what I mean)

So yeah. I know who did that..

And yeah slightly OT but Suite was one of the good Pretty Cure series so I don't think they're going to ruin SM Crystal; the henshin might be a little WTF? if you weren't expecting it (I think that was the first time they used very obvious CGI) but the rest was great on Suite Pretty Cure. That's why I'm not too worried.
    It's not really the animation details/movements (those are nice and clean, even in CG) but the quality of CG is just not good and it's really obvious. I wouldn't mind the exact same animation just in 2D, but I know transformation sequences are a big part so it's kinda sad they couldn't make them better even though everything else looks better.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Silenka View Post
    The opening theme is done by Momoiro Clover Z, a cosplay idol group with a sentai theme. They are EXTREMELY popular in Japan: one of two female groups ever to hold a concert at Nissan Stadium, one of the largest in Japan (the other being AKB48). Their actual group makeup is almost like that of the sailor senshi anyway (color-coded group of schoolgirls), and their material is generally geared towards those kinds of shoujo/shounen anime themes. They're quite good performers and really fun to watch, hence their popularity. They did a comedic parody of the original theme on some JP show XD
    Spoiler: show

Knowing this, I am A-OK with the opening, I don't think a better group could have been chosen for it.
    I personally don't care that they didn't remake "Moonlight Densetsu," although I know that some people do. I simply care because this new opener is generic trash. I wouldn't even present it as a matter of opinion—if anything, it's a demonstration of how crap a manufactured group like Momoiro Clover Z can be when you take away their gimmick (cosplay and live performances). They're not popular because their music is any good, they're popular because they have a theme that their fans like.

When I talked about a precedent, and used the contrasting example, it was to show how you can make a new, quality production that recognizably pays homage to a classic. It's not even as if this concept needs to be demonstrated, as it's easily understood on paper, but precisely because PSSM is such an internationally revered classic, it's utterly lazy—and arguably disrespectful—to not even try. If PSSM didn't have good music, didn't break the mold by having the melody for its original song utilized in foreign localizations, didn't give birth to a thousand image and other kinds of albums, and wasn't in general also revered for being incredibly musical, I wouldn't care as much—but all of those things are true.

How do you take a remake seriously when it doesn't seem to give a shit about that? And then there's the transformation sequence, which was just as iconic, and which has been just as botched. Again, this is not a good record so far.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I think a some of you are being far too critical of this thing, thus far. It's a modernization/reboot, not an continuation, of the old show, so it's going to incorporate what the current trends are for pop music and animation techniques. It's supposed to be the manga story, this time around, and everything I've seen, thus far (didn't get to see the extended stuff before it was nuked), has been a throw back to the original manga, and not the TV series, which had significant deviations from the manga's story in both substance, style, and plot. Granted, there are some throwbacks, both in the transformation sequence and the opening animation (most notably the SMS intro), but I don't think we're going to see too much of what the original TV animation presented.

I think the transformation scene looks just fine; it's going to be a hard line to walk between the classic manga style of drawing, with today's CG animation techniques, which is probably why almost all adaptations are changed to the standard anime style. Regardless, I think, over-all, it does a pretty good job of updating both the detail and the fluidity of the transformation sequence, so I'm not really sure what more people were looking for. We can't even see it in it's real HQ quality either. I won't back up the actual intro song though, I I do think the Slayer's comparison is off point. It's a continuation of the old Slayers, not a reboot of the franchise, so it makes total sense to mimic the animation style and music, straight down to the classic Megumi Hayashibara song. This makes it easily identifiable as classic Slayers, which I'm pretty certain was the exact point. As this is a reboot, the same standard isn't going to apply. To me, a hell of a lot of J-Pop is crap now-adays, but if I judged a show, just based on how the intro song was, I'd be watching far less Anime then I do now. Honestly, how often do Moonlight Densetsu caliber songs get created?

The one thing I do think was a big mistake was re-using Kotono Mitsuishi; she still hits the transformation yell, but the rest was kinda ear grating and, with everyone else being replaced, feels the most out of place to me. Still, this thing can go either way, and we won't really know until a few episodes in, when they've gotten past the first few dull chapters, have introduced some of the other characters, and people start dieing.

King Bitcher of Bitchington
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Chuggs M'koul
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Bitchers gun bitch. If Jurassic Park was remade and followed closer to the first book with CGI Dinosaurs and no Jeff Goldblum people would whine that it wasn't respecting or close enough to the first movie.

the originals are up on hulu and you can enjoy that. If you're looking for a current generation Sailor Moon, this is it. This is current generation, everything about it is current. Tons of anime/cartoons/etc had that type of cheesy music in the 80s and 90s(not that I don't like the older themes). I'm curious if the internet was around back then if people would be bitching about how generic the theme was. The type of J-Pop that is in the new opening is what's hot/popular right now, I'm sure in 30 years when it gets remade AGAIN the theme will be along the lines of that generations popular sound and our kids will say how much better and unique it was in the "good ol' days"

too many grumpy grandpas in the thread

That's not even slightly the point. When you can make anime without even the slightest touch of CG (whereas making a fucking Dinosaur without one...) why use it so poorly on one of the most iconic scenes ever created? It's not even current animation techniques, it's just bad and I've seen better CG in anime that was far less obvious.

Also, lol @ thinking people are being too critical over a remake of something they potentially love(d) and grew up with. I know it's your childhood or first anime or whatever, but lower your standards.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

@Kohan: I like the new opening theme. I don't think it's objectively horrible, but musical taste is all subjective anyway so saying "not objectively horrible" is pointless. I loved all of the music in the original PGSM, the musicals, etc (I even used to have a website called Solar Miracle when I was a kid). I was obsessed with the music, I still know the lyrics to most of the songs, I hold all the music from that series dear to my heart.

But this isn't that. We already had that, we don't need it to be that, we need it to be something else now. If they used themes that sounded like the original's themes now they would sound pretty dated, obviously thrown in for nostalgic purposes. Honestly, that's just how J-pop sounded back in the day - Moonlight Densetsu, Otome no Policy, Rashiku Ikimashou and all the image songs were ALL simply how J-pop used to be done in the 90s. This new theme is how J-pop is done now, it sounds current just like the old themes sounded contemporary back in their day. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I don't think they could have done things the modern way and still make you happy with it. (Not speaking for the BGM yet, haven't heard enough of it to say).

I will say this, though: In no era is that CGI ever gonna look good or natural.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I'll tell you what, I loved the original PGSM, right until the end. However, I took off the nostalgia goggles for Crystal, because of the fact that it will be based on the manga, something that is very different than PGSM. It's going to be much darker and my mans Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask will have much more of a purpose, along with many other Senshi. I do worry about the pacing of Crystal however, as it goes pretty quick in the manga.

The new transformation sequence is in CGI yes, but were you guys honestly expecting a 90s-esque transformation sequence in 2014? Lets be real here. Aside from that, it's only about 5 seconds longer and remained somewhat faithful to PGSM. Naoko even had the final say on everything this anime will be, including the transformation sequences. The downside to this is that the bar was indeed set very high and this transformation sequence did not meet the quota. I mean, it was the original PGSM that started this entire "magical girl anime" genre (which was outdone constantly as anime got better and better production). So I can personally understand people's anger. However, this is a show that is directed towards a new generation of potential fans as well as towards fans who grew up with PGSM (I imagine the perfect viewing scenario would be a mother and her 7~12 year old daughter watching Crystal and experience/enjoying it together), so people are going to have to come to terms with the fact that it's not going to be tailored towards their nostalgia ambitions.

I won't lie, the main thing that will slay me is the fact that the overly cheesy jazz music themes from PGSM will be long gone. I'll never get over that.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That was what I was trying to say, Sho. Seriously..I did expect them to do some kinda CGI after the recent Pretty Cures; heck the most recent even has a form change/attack in CGI. Toei's been in love with that lately.

I'm willing to keep a open mind myself. Sure, it's jarring, worse than Suite Pretty Cure when it first came out (Um..ribbons do not look like that. Really do not..CGI all over). But Suite turned out okay, so will this, tho I can't say for the pacing. I'm all "wait and see" ^^

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yeah I don't get it, when 10/10 people look at the CGI and go "that looks awful, why would you do it that way", you'd think they'd get a clue... or maybe this goes back to what someone said in the No Game No Life thread, JPs have shit taste.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    That was what I was trying to say, Sho. Seriously..I did expect them to do some kinda CGI after the recent Pretty Cures; heck the most recent even has a form change/attack in CGI. Toei's been in love with that lately.

I'm willing to keep a open mind myself. Sure, it's jarring, worse than Suite Pretty Cure when it first came out (Um..ribbons do not look like that. Really do not..CGI all over). But Suite turned out okay, so will this, tho I can't say for the pacing. I'm all "wait and see" ^^
    Yeah, same here :D I'm remaining hopeful that the show will be every bit as dark as the manga will be (and it should be since Naoko is all over this project), and as such will be my focus.

I am so Excitebike. @_@

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Put me in the still hopeful camp. The transformation scene I think had the most important parts for nostalgia lovers without going to the extreme of exact shot to shot. What's the point of a remake if it's the exact same thing?

Man I remember when BBC2040 came out. I was a huge fan of the original BBC. 2040 changed the art style and characters like crazy, and I loved it even more.

I'm cool with this so far.

obligatory:

BB crash opening (took place after crisis).

You can imagine my shock (and excitement) the first time I saw that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    What's the point of a remake if it's the exact same thing?
    Because being disappointed about crappy CG is the same as wanting a direct rip from the original. Yep. I don't care if it's CG I just care if it looks good. It does not.

edit: and I'm still hopeful the show will be good, just less hype.

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Holy shit the last page and a half my palm can not hit my face hard enough.

Hey you guys remember when FMA Brotherhood opened with a shitty filler episode and the rest of the show was shit? No I didn't think so.

I don't recall either Kohan or myself lambasting the little we have seen of Sailor Moon Crystal. You have to realize that just because we write something that appears to be in a negative light does not automatically mean we hate it. People don't have absolute negative or absolute positive feelings about anything ever, there is always some grey area and I though Kohan and I wrote our posts well enough to convey that but I guess I was mistaken.

By the way Sho, don't undersell the music from the original Sailor Moon. Just because the show was from the 90s doesn't mean the music automatically has to be labeled as cheesy so you can find an excuse to say "Hey I like this but I'm making sure no one thinks I thought it was all that great." The music on the show had a purpose and it far exceed it's role on numerous occasions. It was evocative, upbeat, thrilling and best of all memorable.

Take what I presume to be one of the best BGM of the series. This shit always made a chill run down my spine when I heard it:

Graduate of the BG School of FFXI
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Misses Beansman
    FFXIV Server
    Adamantoise
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The thing is the minute they announced that this would be a brotherhood like remake any comparisons to the original became meaningless. One of the the great things about PSSM was that it was able to throw the manga story off a bridge and still be great in its own right.

Sure there were some characters that did not make the transition into the new story well (Kaorinite says hi) but none of the five arcs were any worse in PSSM then in the manga.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Coolbeans: Pretty much. I mean, we can argue all about the henshin and the animation and the music until we're all blue in the face (btw, Toei did takedowns on the leaked stuff; Which is very typical of them from my experience with Pretty Cure henshins and stuff; they find it, kiss it goodbye.) but it all boils down to; Keep a open mind even tho it's prolly not what you expected it to be, and let's see how this goes. This is a reboot,a FMA Brotherhood experience. It's not going to be the original anime; Both have/will have their merits, let's go watch this tomorrow with a open mind.

I think that's all that needs to be said.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

While we're waiting, some of my favorite songs/BGMs from the original series:

S Movie: Shou

PC Engine SM: Onaji hoshi ni umareta futari dakara (Peach Hips)

Music Fantasy: Tuxedo Mirage

Kaze ni Naritai (Uranus image song)

Music Fantasy: Holy Grail

Maybe this was a bad idea on second thought, I find myself wanting to list damn near every song... Music Fantasy might be one of the best albums in the bunch (S Music Fantasy isn't quite as good but it has some winners too).

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I can only feel bad for those with poor comprehension skills who read what I wrote and walked away saying, "Why does that person think everything has to be the same?" I don't even think I could have been any clearer in my criticism without being maliciously condescending.

I'd love it if the new series were good. I've no reason to think that yet. Dismissing nuanced criticism as "nostalgia goggles" just disappoints me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast