Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Delve 2.0 discussion     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Campaign
    BG Level

I just went by the description of the merit category in-game.
    It adds a further % of reduction and 1 MDB per merit per rune.
    If the MDB part is broken I have no clue, I never tested it lol

Adds an elemental damage reduction to Vallation and a magic defense bonus to Valliance of 1 point per harbored rune
    It's a typical confusing SE-styled description. From the description you'd be leaning to say it's -DT for Vallation and MDB for Valiance while that clearly is not the case.
    Whatever the bonus is, I'm pretty confident it's the same for both Valiance and Vallation.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

No, that just implies what the merit does, not the JA. Tons of merits give JAs completely new properties that they didn't have before.

Barspells, Desperate Blows, Iron Will, Aggressive Aim, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    I just went by the description of the merit category in-game.
    It adds a further % of reduction and 1 MDB per merit per rune.
    If the MDB part is broken I have no clue, I never tested it lol

It's a typical confusing SE-styled description. From the description you'd be leaning to say it's -DT for Vallation and MDB for Valiance while that clearly is not the case.
    Whatever the bonus is, I'm pretty confident it's the same for both Valiance and Vallation.
    Given that Valiance is AoE... Merits probably give the other people MDB. (RUN has infinity MDB just from JTs so it would be hard to notice a small increase like that.)
    And doesn't Vallation already have a "MDT" effect without merits? I thought it did... But I'm not sure.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Run only has 22 mdb naturally so if it really did give 1 per merit per run you'd notice the 15 easily testing which I did but I can do some retests in a bit

It's it's own category likely something like SDT

edit: btw the merit description was changed to be "Adds an elemental damage reduction to Vallation and an elemental damage reduction to Valliance of 1 point per harbored rune " awhile back

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So went to fight some worms in ull with no mdb or mdt gear they have 40 mab. Stonega 3 did 549 so if you factor out mab/mdb it would've done 479 (479*1.4/1.22= 549).

With fully merited 3 rune vallation it did 274.

If it was just Mdb it would've had to be only 12 mdb (479*.55*1.4/1.34=274) which would be a really weird 4/5 mdb each merit each rune... but if you assume it's just vallation type it comes out great with 50% total for vallation

So yep still 1/3% per merit per rune for a total of 5% with 3 runes and 5 merits guess it's time for another bug report since they haven't done anything with the one they accepted a year ago <.<

Anyways tried against Balaur his normal breathes were dealing 840 when doing full dmg... I was getting a lot of resists even without gear but full 1/8 resist was 104 and I managed to get a 52 with 3 rune vallation. So yep to breath

Edit: went back to try as a blu/run and first thing to note was only 10% per rune and that runes and barrier tusk are separate terms with tusk going first. Kinda sad if they were the same term blu/run would stop magic dmg (not counting resist) almost as good as run main

Campaign
    BG Level

Ungh you're right, didn't notice they ninjaed the in-game description.
    Guess it's pretty clear now :D No MDB just elemental damage reduction and, as mentioned before, it works on breath damage too as long as it's elemental-alligned.

Campaign
    BG Level

Again some Podarge questions.
    Is Wings of Agony wind damage?

I tanked Podarge several times and never had issues with Wings of Agony, it's usually Rending Talons that people have issues against (it's a joke for RUNs as long as Vallation is up)
    I noticed Wings of Agony hitting me for big damage a couple of times and kinda got surprised.
    Then it hit me one last time for 2300+ killing me (I was on RUN).
    I still have no clue what I could've done wrong. Tbf I was probably still in my PDT set from Ironbeak, but that doesn't justify such a huge damage.
    Maybe Shell5 got dispelled without me noticing, but as above I don't see that making such a huge difference, on RUN.
    Maybe Vallation dropped one nanosecond before Wings of Agony hitting me, maybe I completely derped it up and used wrong runes instead than the ice ones.
    I dunno.
    Is there some other factor to calculating Wings of Agony damage? I swear I always laughed at that move before, and at Podarge in general when I'm on RUN tbf.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Again some Podarge questions.
    Is Wings of Agony wind damage?

I tanked Podarge several times and never had issues with Wings of Agony, it's usually Rending Talons that people have issues against (it's a joke for RUNs as long as Vallation is up)
    I noticed Wings of Agony hitting me for big damage a couple of times and kinda got surprised.
    Then it hit me one last time for 2300+ killing me (I was on RUN).
    I still have no clue what I could've done wrong. Tbf I was probably still in my PDT set from Ironbeak, but that doesn't justify such a huge damage.
    Maybe Shell5 got dispelled without me noticing, but as above I don't see that making such a huge difference, on RUN.
    Maybe Vallation dropped one nanosecond before Wings of Agony hitting me, maybe I completely derped it up and used wrong runes instead than the ice ones.
    I dunno.
    Is there some other factor to calculating Wings of Agony damage? I swear I always laughed at that move before, and at Podarge in general when I'm on RUN tbf.
    Wings of Agony is physical damage and block-able. As PLD, Rending Talons and Wings of Agony always evoke a sigh of relief from me. The ailments it carries--specifically nightmare sleep and irremovable paralysis--will NOT take effect if the move is successfully blocked. It seems to only be used above 50% HP. Honestly, I'm not sure if it's subject to the same damage inflation that Ravenous Wail and Wings of Woe are subject to. If I had to draw a conjecture about it, I'd say the move has a high base damage but has an attack penalty (making high DEF significant in reducing it). I make this assertion because one time, while running with my old EGLS that I recently left, I hadn't Provoked Podarge yet and an RNG fired Jishnu's on her instead of the remaining adds. Podarge approached the back line and performed Wings of Agony. The move hit me from behind, so I ate it unblocked for about 400 DMG (I know it was unblocked because I got the ailments). It one-shotted everyone else in the alliance. There were no survivors aside from me, the PLD.

Other occurrences have happened when this move goes unblocked. Again, the damage dealt by the move is paltry. And for the record, I lack burtgang (I know, epic fail faggot PLD).

Campaign
    BG Level

This is interesting but doesn't really explain why on that run I got hit for such ridiculous amounts of damage, unless it's subject to the same hypothyzed damage inflaction that affects Ravenous Wail and Wings of Woe (as you mentioned).
    That one is just a theory which hasn't been thoroughfully tested but when I read posts about it it always seemed kinda solid.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

This is interesting but doesn't really explain why on that run I got hit for such ridiculous amounts of damage, unless it's subject to the same hypothyzed damage inflaction that affects Ravenous Wail and Wings of Woe (as you mentioned).
    That one is just a theory which hasn't been thoroughfully tested but when I read posts about it it always seemed kinda solid.
    Hence the reason I won't make a definite call whether or not it really is subject to the same damage inflation. Only the things I haven't cautioned against above are what I can tell you for sure because I've watched them happen over and over again systematically. I'm in no rush to be the first to figure Podarge out, and I will never give FFXIClopedia or BG information passed over as fact when I'm still only "kinda" sure on it. I'll warn you as I did above that something I'm saying might be incorrect. The following is speculation:

Imagine that it is subject to the same method of damage inflation that Wings of Woe and Ravenous Wail are. There are a few ways to bump up the damage. One would be to increase the base damage of the physical attack (or assign it WS-like multipliers). Another would be to substantially boost the enemy's ATK or give a direct boost to enemy-vs-player cRatio. Really, the reason I'm sticking with the base damage story is because it's almost like I live solely by virtue that I'm PLD. Of course, whenever I tanked it, I'd be using every DEF boosting mechanism in the book, aside from DEF food, as I like to self-skillchain on the bats much to my healer's chagrin.

In the end, I'd recommend you get back on that horse and try again, this time keeping your PDT gear on hand if not full-timing it when Podarge is above 50% HP. When she drops below, she favors Ravenous Wail (breath damage), Shrieking Gale (puny damage, but dispels), and Wings of Woe (magic damage). As I've said earlier, she might even stop using Wings of Agony and Rending Talons altogether. One current thing I'm working on is a PLD Podarge solo just for fun, and I don't believe I recall her doing Wings of Agony after dropping below 50% HP. I want to test that further though, just to be sure. What I am sure of is that she certainly does not favor Wings of Agony below 50%.

Campaign
    BG Level

The magic damage (breath included) is not really dangerous on RUN when you have 3 Ice Runes and Vallation up (well, supposing you don't get unlucky in the transition from Vallation to Valiance which is necessary to keep the buff up 100% of the time. Just a nanosecond of distraction at the wrong moment there and you're dead meat), even when it gets bumped up by the damage-formula theory.
    So it's safe to stay in PDT.

What's strange is that I normally tank Podarge in my hybrid set and that time I accidentally was in my PDT set lol, yet that thing happened. Oh well /shrug

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So here's more info, and I'd like to request an account on BGWiki someday if that's all right.

First off, let me discuss Wopket mechanics. Uproot triggers the aura, but does not immediately mean that Timbeeer is coming. After the aura comes up, Uproot must be used once more before Timbeeer is used. After Timbeeer is used, Uproot must be used twice before the next Timbeeer. So basically, before you ever see Timbeeer, you'll see Uproot twice as a warning. Secondly, Wopket's favorite move to use is Firefly Fandango, by far. Canopierce is AoE distributed magic damage. It is, from my experience, weaker than Yumcax's and much less likely to be fatal. Root of the Problem inflicts all stats down and drains TP. It also steals one enhancing effect from all targets it hits (it appears to be conal). You should be diligent in dispelling these ASAP if one of the effects is Protect or Shell--as these can directly interfere with dropping the aura. As for his resistance to dispel, I have personally found it to be lower than Ircinraq's for comparative purposes. In terms of Wopket's physical power, I would rank it the lowest of all six Delve bosses. It is not difficult at all to hold him alone on SCH, which brings me to my next tip.

Pulling Wopket can be a bitch. But, here's a trick I like to use when I go on SCH. Every run of Yorcia I do, I always insist that I be allowed to pull Wopket after I grant Embrava and Regen V. I pull Wopket with Kaustra + Manifestation to catch any adds that might link with him, then I kite said adds until they die before returning to remove paralysis from the DD's (as I said, he loves Firefly Fandango). I do recommend staying in range of the healer in case you get in trouble, however you should have no issues with movement speed gear. (I personally have none for SCH, and I still live through this stunt.)

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiran View Post
    So here's more info, and I'd like to request an account on BGWiki someday if that's all right.

First off, let me discuss Wopket mechanics. Uproot triggers the aura, but does not immediately mean that Timbeeer is coming. After the aura comes up, Uproot must be used once more before Timbeeer is used. After Timbeeer is used, Uproot must be used twice before the next Timbeeer. So basically, before you ever see Timbeeer, you'll see Uproot twice as a warning. Secondly, Wopket's favorite move to use is Firefly Fandango, by far. Canopierce is AoE distributed magic damage. It is, from my experience, weaker than Yumcax's and much less likely to be fatal. Root of the Problem inflicts all stats down and drains TP. It also steals one enhancing effect from all targets it hits (it appears to be conal). You should be diligent in dispelling these ASAP if one of the effects is Protect or Shell--as these can directly interfere with dropping the aura. As for his resistance to dispel, I have personally found it to be lower than Ircinraq's for comparative purposes. In terms of Wopket's physical power, I would rank it the lowest of all six Delve bosses. It is not difficult at all to hold him alone on SCH, which brings me to my next tip.

Pulling Wopket can be a bitch. But, here's a trick I like to use when I go on SCH. Every run of Yorcia I do, I always insist that I be allowed to pull Wopket after I grant Embrava and Regen V. I pull Wopket with Kaustra + Manifestation to catch any adds that might link with him, then I kite said adds until they die before returning to remove paralysis from the DD's (as I said, he loves Firefly Fandango). I do recommend staying in range of the healer in case you get in trouble, however you should have no issues with movement speed gear. (I personally have none for SCH, and I still live through this stunt.)
    info is great if not for the fact that wopket dies in like 2min to samurais =P

but definitely useful for groups that arent doing the zerg method i suppose.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Is account creation on bgwiki not enabled? It used to be open creation but you had to not provide all the optional info or something. Bots default to filling out all the fields, so that was one filter to get rid of them. We were banning 10-20 "check out my webcam" or "buy screws from china" accounts/day at one point.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Karizo View Post
    info is great if not for the fact that wopket dies in like 2min to samurais =P

but definitely useful for groups that arent doing the zerg method i suppose.
    I've actually seen him go down in less than one mythic to single mythic SAM. The party config was SAM WHM BRD COR GEO SCH.

Here's the thing about zerging Wopket: A while back in this thread, someone hypothesized that for every wind-elemental "hit" dealt, there exists a chance for the aura to come down with the probability increasing as the damage of the hit increases. In other words, the aura does not have a cumulative threshold according to what this poster said. From my experience, this is absolutely correct, and I have seen disaster strike in the past when our SAM's aren't consciously trying to skillchain when they see the aura go up. If SE is feeling like being wankers on that run and Wopket's aura resists five chains in a row, you could eat a Timbeeer. That's why it's imperative in my opinion to make sure that your SAM's are conscious of why they are favored over DRK's on that fight--specifically, so that you can curse at SE for allowing Wopket to resist 10 chains in a row after Timbeer goes off and you realize that people didn't bring holy water.

Also, Byrth, I just retried it leaving out my full name. It worked. I just assumed it was only right to give out all personal information to total strangers online. ^^

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiran View Post
    I've actually seen him go down in less than one mythic to single mythic SAM. The party config was SAM WHM BRD COR GEO SCH.

Here's the thing about zerging Wopket: A while back in this thread, someone hypothesized that for every wind-elemental "hit" dealt, there exists a chance for the aura to come down with the probability increasing as the damage of the hit increases. In other words, the aura does not have a cumulative threshold according to what this poster said. From my experience, this is absolutely correct, and I have seen disaster strike in the past when our SAM's aren't consciously trying to skillchain when they see the aura go up. If SE is feeling like being wankers on that run and Wopket's aura resists five chains in a row, you could eat a Timbeeer. That's why it's imperative in my opinion to make sure that your SAM's are conscious of why they are favored over DRK's on that fight--specifically, so that you can curse at SE for allowing Wopket to resist 10 chains in a row after Timbeer goes off and you realize that people didn't bring holy water.

Also, Byrth, I just retried it leaving out my full name. It worked. I just assumed it was only right to give out all personal information to total strangers online. ^^
    timber isnt any issue with a 1 SAM setup if your whm has a cursna set (which he hopefully has), with 3 melees yagrush helps there alot with a cursna set and makes timber not an issue either.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    ...if your whm has a cursna set...
    These are PUG WHM's. I'm lucky if I get one with Cure potency capped. In general, the consensus I work out with the WHM is just to Cure while I handle ailments and emergency Cure if it comes to that, as I do have a Cursna and Cure potency set for my SCH. Back when I had an EGLS that ran on inclusiveness-oriented setups, I would sometimes handle ailments on PLD if I wound up on that job, but that was very rare.

In general, Timbeeer should never go off. If it does go off, it's like people just give up the second they see the curse icon in their status bar that represents doom. Last time I did this and Timbeeer got off, the WHM went into total shutdown mode and died to doom, leaving me as the only person to Cure and give Cursna. We barely killed Wopket with one DD left standing.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

bards are capable of assisting in that situation. what was your bard doing? lol. i honestly cant imagine not having all those types of sets on bard/geo/sch/rdm ect. it just goes to show how much of a difference good players make when the need to adapt to situations where things/people arent able to be held accountable for the roles they were assigned presents itself. (or discretionary roles, like the one you outlined)

the upside to those types of scenarios though, is that they lead to more interesting strats for things. i had a whm dc once as we got to tojil, and he wasnt coming back. so i just healed once in between my stuns on rdm, while hobaku'ing on sam if i had to choose curing over stunning for some reason. it went smooth tbh, and now i do tojils rdm sam brd because its so easy/quick/more profitable/ect. i explained to the brd i go with to act like his main job was whm during tojil, as i c an only cast one spell between stuns, so i can focus more on silencestunning spells, dia3'ing, nuking, stunning, distract hastes ect.

also i bet your party didnt even recognize your contributions, right? sounds to me like it was the sephiran show, lol.

Working as intended.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Bukadan View Post
    bards are capable of assisting in that situation. what was your bard doing? lol. i honestly cant imagine not having all those types of sets on bard/geo/sch/rdm ect. it just goes to show how much of a difference good players make when the need to adapt to situations where things/people arent able to be held accountable for the roles they were assigned presents itself. (or discretionary roles, like the one you outlined)

the upside to those types of scenarios though, is that they lead to more interesting strats for things. i had a whm dc once as we got to tojil, and he wasnt coming back. so i just healed once in between my stuns on rdm, while hobaku'ing on sam if i had to choose curing over stunning for some reason. it went smooth tbh, and now i do tojils rdm sam brd because its so easy/quick/more profitable/ect. i explained to the brd i go with to act like his main job was whm during tojil, as i c an only cast one spell between stuns, so i can focus more on silencestunning spells, dia3'ing, nuking, stunning, distract hastes ect.

also i bet your party didnt even recognize your contributions, right? sounds to me like it was the sephiran show, lol.
    When I expound on the story you are really going to cringe. Our setup was SAMx2 COR BRD WHM SCH. One of our SAM's was JP and had Koga-119, and he was turning around and disengaging every time that Uproot went off rather than chaining to drop the aura. I asked at the start who had cleared before and no one answered me. No one had holy waters aside from the Koga SAM who ran out after the first Timbeeer, which killed the WHM, the COR, and the other SAM, who basically threw in the towel after that point. I basically sat in the danger zone (distance didn't matter anymore since hate was a clusterfuck with all the Uproots) spamming Cursna and Cures to keep the last SAM alive until he finally got the idea that he needed to SC and dropped the aura. The run was a mess and we barely cleared.

However, they did recognize my contributions when they thanked me after the run for their first Yorcia clears, thus for the first time making me privy to them being new to Yorcia Delve. Regardless, what you are saying is totally true about having good players. I've won Delves with bizarre setups in the past that won simply because people knew what they were doing. Examples include Tojil with WAR GEO DRK WHM SCH BRD and Dakuwaqa with SAM(no murasamemare either) GEO BRD COR SCH WHM.

Anyway, "The Sephiran Show" had its best episodes in Delve I back when I was PLD. I always insisted on holding all adds alone while Stona'ing people during Tutewehiwehi. The other big one was back when some groups used to put Dakuwaqa to sleep at around 40% HP left to Wildcard and rebuff. The way this was usually handled was by having one BRD sub BLM to Lullaby Dakuwaqa. The group I worked with used this as the pecking order for least resisted sleeps: First, the BRD would sleep. Then, if Dakuwaqa woke back up before we were ready, I would sleep it with Divine Emblem and Repose. If we still weren't ready, then the RDM would use Stymie and Sleep II. After that, I was the basically the fourth healer in the alliance who could stand in the damage zone of Marine Mayhem, look Dakuwaqa in the eye, and say "DO IT MOFO!" while curing the DD's.

To be absolutely honest, my gear back then was not all that good, and so pulling stunts like full-fracture add holds was actually dangerous for me. Here's a screenshot of those days. The armor I was wearing was actually just full Cizin gear DAT swapped to valor gear because I didn't like the way Cizin looked. I eventually leveled SCH when Delve became six-man and PLD wasn't needed anymore. Even now, when I do opt to bring a PLD, I usually favor going as SCH first because I don't want to risk giving the stun duty to a PUG person. Unfortunately, opening a slot for PLD in a PUG run is like asking for a leech now.

Addendum: If you don't believe that's Cizin gear, look my Max HP/MP.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rehn Valor
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Bumping an olde thread.

So a few friends and I want to get our delve II clear at last. We currently have the following jobs between us:

MNK(spharai), SAM(non-RME), WAR(non-RME)
    SAM(koga)
    MNK(non-RME), support jobs

and a few mage/backline alts including BRD(RME), WHM, COR, and a gimp GEO. Might have a RDM or SCH mixed in there.

We're most familiar with yorcia, except for the morta NM, and boss obviously.
    Haven't really touched marjami except for hakawai.
    Done kamihr once and got destroyed by the gnole.

What's the general outline we need to do for zone bosses and maybe the problematic NMs? I guess we can bead too if need be.