1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 21 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 2 hours, 22 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 6 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in -5 hours, -38 minutes
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: XIV at GDC 2014     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

XIV at GDC 2014

A Focus On Graphics Killed Final Fantasy XIV. Here’s How Square Enix Revived It

Spoiler: show

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn producer Naoki Yoshida began his GDC panel this afternoon by sharing a little bit about himself with the audience. Yoshida, who serves as both director and producer on the game, says that he was a Final Fantasy fanatic, and that his favourite games in the series are Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy VII.

(He also mentioned that his favourite job is the Black Mage.)

Yoshida shared that he’s a hardcore MMORPG player. As the panel went on, he proceeded to explain why the original Final Fantasy XIV failed and how Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn came about.

Prior to Final Fantasy XIV, Square Enix’s horse in the MMO race was Final Fantasy XI. While XI is seen as a mid-scale game, the title earned Square stable profits, Yoshida said. The game still continues to be played today. Eight years went by before Final Fantasy XIV was developed, and during that time, the MMO market changed, especially in terms of player psychology, after the release of World of WarCraft and user interface (UI) improvements.

Unfortunately, said Yoshida, Square Enix’s culture of achieving the best graphics hurt Final Fantasy XIV’s development process. Square’s tendency to focus in graphical improvement put the game at odds with the rest of the MMORPG space, in which most games were focused on content rather than visual fidelity.

During the PlayStation 2 era, Square Enix were able to produce graphics that their competitors couldn’t. This, Yoshida said, was done in the style of Japanese swordsmithing, where everyone on the team mastered their craft. During the PS2 era, Square Enix employed teams of highly-talented creators to create graphics for their games. This approach worked when the company had to make a small number of swords, Yoshida said, continuing with the swordsmith comparison, but Square felt the need to extend this approach to Final Fantasy XIV as well.

The thinking was that fans would be disappointed if Square Enix didn’t continue to push graphics as they always had in the past. From Square Enix’s perspective, that made sense. After all, Yoshida said, if you’ve found success one way, it takes a lot of courage to change. Unfortunately, change is precisely what was called for, and when Final Fantasy XIV failed, it had an impact on other MMORPG developers in Japan, too, in that it was a discouraging message being sent out, due to the massive risks involved in developing a game of that scale.

Final Fantasy XIV’s failure was bad for Japan’s MMO industry in general, was the point Yoshida was trying to make. If the number of Japanese MMOs drops, a gap is formed between developers in Japan and actual players in the west, which is something he used the chart you see above to illustrate.

Yoshida then moved on to Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. He stated that Square Enix kept the “Final Fantasy XIV” name in order to regain the trust of the game’s audience. Development, he said, was a race against the clock, as interest was waning in FFXIV, but Square Enix had to keep updating that game while developing A Realm Reborn alongside it.

The usual amount of time it takes to develop an MMORPG is 4-5 years. However, A Realm Reborn was completed in merely 2 years and 8 months, all while maintaining the design values that Square Enix felt needed to be in the game. Since it was Final Fantasy, you needed a fantastic story with high production values in the graphics and sound department. As a result, Square Enix updated Final Fantasy XIV’s graphics system to that of A Realm Reborn’s, so they could work the new game and on updating Final Fantasy XIV at the same time.

To speed the development process up, Yoshida came up with 400 fundamental design decisions for the team to follow for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. This would mean less approval time and more time for the game’s developers to fill in details more easily. Standards were emphasized over optimization, and tried and tested features were actively implemented. Yoshida personally studied and implemented elements from other MMORPGs into the game to minimize risk.

Two months went by until programmers started building the game. At this point, the majority of programmers were still working on updates to the original Final Fantasy XIV. Yoshida revealed that he wouldn’t let people program on ARR until systems were completed, and programmers that weren’t building familiarized themselves with the design. Training the company’s staff was important because the developers didn’t have MMO experience. A plan was drafted and a workflow created to bring Final Fantasy XIV to A Realm Reborn, and all the while, the team, faced with harsh reviews, kept updating the original game for fans that believed in the rebuild.

Eventually, the team was shifted over to A Realm Reborn. While story was viewed as important, Yoshida says that the development team only started working on it during the latter half of development. The staff would make map mock-ups on paper to test them. Finally, on October 11th, “Final Fantasy XIV Version 2.0” was announced to players. This was prior to the game being renamed to A Realm Reborn, and the staff livestreamed upcoming updates and changes and used social media to interact with fans. Even Square Enix’s former president, Yoichi Wada, stepped in to help this process. You may recall seeing Wada in a some of the livestreams for the game. At this point, the game had been in development for about 9 months.

Finally, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn was released on August 27th, 2013. Yoshida compared developing an MMORPG to running a country, which he illustrated using the slides above.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/19...-enix-revived/

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

More candid and frank stuff from Team Yoshi. Great read.

Theory Fighter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Frejan Schultz
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

What's not to love from this man? Such clarity, passion, and openness.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

the move to canada slide had me laughing pretty hard

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

It's as though balance has been achieved..

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Did they just insult themselves?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

They didn't insult themselves, they are owning up to their mistakes and passing down knowledge to future [MMO] game developers.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Some guy on Guildwork posted that he talked to Yoshi and he said that in 2.2 and 2.3 they are planning to implement features, bonuses and incentives for FC members to do stuff together.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Persona Nongrata
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

God i hope so. Because doing shit with fc members does nothing to the fc points.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

he throws them under the bus a bit but i'm sure his devs understand now that the game was as bad as it was because of all points listed, much of which was their fault.

it's mostly to explain why 1.0 was so awful though, imo.

green jellybean
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

GDC talks are typically very frank, but the FFXIV one was definitely one of the most honest talks I've been to. I'm sad I didn't get to ask my question (How did he manage to gain the trust of his team in such a short period) although he did spend a lot of time emphasizing how important the community was. They were really awesome and stayed around a very long time to take photos and answer questions -- they had to rush off to catch their plane.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Maybe I'm jaded as hell but I started reading this photo from the bottom and I thought it was talking about the current game

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Maybe I'm jaded as hell but I started reading this photo from the bottom and I thought it was talking about the current game
    To be fair, XI was ok but not amazing on the same front until CoP.
    I wasn't in 1.0 before or during Dalamud, but I'd say 2.0 is about at the level of RoZ at this point in terms of story.

You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    To be fair, XI was ok but not amazing on the same front until CoP.
    I wasn't in 1.0 before or during Dalamud, but I'd say 2.0 is about at the level of RoZ at this point in terms of story.
    FFXI was never amazing when it came to communication with the fans however. Tanaka just steamrolled whatever ideas he and his team had. If it worked, it worked, if it didn't, it was fixed or resolved after a very long period of time. Wasn't til after the gigantic flop of 1.0 (mostly same team under Tanaka) and the executive shake up (Matsui is a decent guy too, he worked on 2.0 as well as many of XI's expansions) did they start to extend their arm to the community for insight.

Yoshi-P's statement stands as a reminder to game developers that you are in it for the fans of the game, and they should make a constant reminder of that.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

You can watch the GDC talk in the GDC Vault now. No membership needed.

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020797/Behind-the-Realm

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Oh cool, thank you!