FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Jem and the Holograms HEY TYVEN, BRILL SAYS YOU MAKE LOVE TO THIS MOVIE

G.I. Joe: Retaliation director Jon M. Chu has chosen to take on another 1980s animated property and adapt it into a live action movie with a feature version of Jem and the Holograms. This is the perfect project for the guy who also directed two Step Up movies and two Justin Bieber documentaries. Unfortunately, he's still attached to direct a third G.I. Joe movie. I don't really care about Jem so I could care less how that movie turns out.

Chu made the announcement with his producing partners Jason Blum and Scooter Braun. You can check out the announcement video below. In it they reveal a unique approach to the property, where they are asking fans for creative submissions that could be used in the feature film release.

The Jem and the Holograms series was created by Christy Marx in collaboration with Hasbro, Marvel and Sunbow Productions. It premiered in 1985 and ran for three seasons. The story followed the adventures of Jem, the musical superstar alter ego of a young woman named Jerrica Benton who, with the help of a holographic computer called Synergy, is able to clandestinely perform rock concerts with her friends.
    http://geektyrant.com/news/gi-joe-se...-the-holograms

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Oh boy, time to throw another one on the massive "Hollywood cashing in on nostalgia" garbage heap.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It's not surprising at all since Hasbro (the company that owns Transformers, G.I. Joe, Gem and a billion other nostalgic 80s things) has been trying to become more of an "IP" company and not just a toy company for the better part of the last decade. It's why they started their own TV network, it's why they make their own cartoons and tvs shows and of course it's why they make movies. They've been wanting to revive Gem specifically for the past few years as well, but most assumed it would be just another cartoon on their network so coming out with a movie first was a bit of a surprise.

That said, I'm actually very interested in how they claim they'll be making this film. If they stick to what they're saying, this could be the first Social Media created major motion picture ever. At the very least, it's a unique experiment and one that I personally hope turns out well.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Surprisingly Jem does have somewhat of a cult following after all these years but I doubt that'll be enough for this to catch on. They should just stick with running Transformers and My Little Pony into the ground.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sol-Blackguy View Post
    They should just stick with running Transformers and My Little Pony into the ground.
    Well, one blessing from this film being made is that G.I. Joe 3 is being delayed.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

That makes me terrified at the thought of a "perfect" G.I. Joe sequel. Almost as terrified as I was when I found out there's Jem/Misfits shipping fan fiction. There's some things even lesbians can't save.

Irish Vagabond
    BG Level

Just incase you breeders/ lessies haven't seen these:

Takes a video or two to get into, but they are amazing (especially when high) when you realise that its dubbing over a 80's children TV show.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Just as expected. No hologram earring, No Synergy, no Misfits.... No Thanks. While she does say "Showtime Synergy" in the clip, it feels like she's using it as a saying and not something that will project the hologram. This is basically a teeny bop movie about a girl who can sing and the record company gives her the "Jem" persona and she slowly loses who she once was and she has to go find herself.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Just as expected. No hologram earring, No Synergy, no Misfits.... No Thanks. While she does say "Showtime Synergy" in the clip, it feels like she's using it as a saying and not something that will project the hologram. This is basically a teeny bop movie about a girl who can sing and the record company gives her the "Jem" persona and she slowly loses who she once was and she has to go find herself.
    I think the best thing I heard on twitter is that this looks like Josie and the Pussycats, but without any soul.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post
    I think the best thing I heard on twitter is that this looks like Josie and the Pussycats, but without any soul.
    Sounds about right. One of the things about this movie that is pissing people off is the fact that in the movie Jerrica is forced to be Jem 24/7 by Starlight Music, but in the source material, she has full control of both personas not to mention that she actually owns Starlight Music.

We built this city
    We built this city on cock and stooooooone

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

There's nothing Jem about that trailer. Completely generic script with Jem slapped on top for the usual nostalgia cash-in.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Yeah it's basically vilifying the main part of what plot the original had. And into such a tired story too.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Nothing is safe anymore. I completely expect Hasbro to get Michael Bay to do M.A.S.K

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Nothing is safe anymore. I completely expect Hasbro to get Michael Bay to do M.A.S.K
    The next GI Joe is M.A.S.K. crossover.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    The next GI Joe is M.A.S.K. crossover.
    Gdi I thought you were joking but sure enough that looks to be the case...

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The film ranked 15th in this past weekend's box office making $1.3 million from 2,413 theaters. Their budget was $5 million if that matters to anyone. While it reviewed better, it actually did worse than Fantastic Four.